Gym too expensive

Options
So i've started this program a week ago and so far its going well. 5lbs lost and Im delighted. I've been sticking to my calories but i definitely think managing to do my work out goal totally made it happen.

I have a little pickle though, this week i got offered a place in university and i will be leaving my job In September. I'm in a gym at the moment but have had to cancel because its too expensive i have the use of it until the end of July so I am going to use it as much as i can.

Anyone have any tips on non gym workouts. Take into account i live in Ireland the weather here is unpredictable to say the least.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    From August to September (the university has a gym I assume). Try walking, jogging etc. when you can, and weights using your body weight. Maybe buy or borrow a video or two?

Congrats on going to university!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i cant get outside much due to my health. Summers are too hot & humid and winters are too cold for my lungs! I saved up for a year before i started my weight loss journey to make sure i had everything i needed... (im the world biggest excuse maker! lol) but, i was able to purchase an ellipital machine and thats what i use! maybe once i reach my weight loss goal i will buy another piece of equipment to help more with stregnth training! Congrats on sticking to your goals!! you are doing great!! =)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You should have access to the University gym while you are there. If not, then check out the ZWOW videos on Youtube. Try these out too.

http://litealloy.com/workouts/tags
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, part of my fees were for the fitness center there. So, since I was paying for it anyway, I used it. Maybe your university has something like that (or a discounted gym or even fitness classes you can take).

Also, you can get a couple of DVD's for not too much and work out in your living room. I like Jillian Michaels (especial Ripped in 30 and Extreme Shed & Shred) and Billy Blanks Tae Bo. I don't know what options you have in Ireland, but here I checked them out (for free) from the local library and rotated every couple of weeks. I only bought the ones I loved.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    DVD's or zumba DVD or on a games console or weights at home. Wii Fit, EA Sports active.

I did all of these in January and Feb and had success

right now I do 30 day shred at home between the gym and a fitness class. Just doing what I can when I can
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I am taking a break from the gym

My Out of Gym Exercises:

1) running
    2)walking
    3)running up and down hills
    4) Instanty
    5)Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred
    6) Dancing games on my wii( step-up, Zumba and fitness)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as far as finances. I run around my neighborhood twice a week before work, and once on a long trail around the city each weekend. Then I do P90X in my home 7x a week. You will be fine without a gym!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Get a bicycle - You can pick up a cheap and cheerful secondhand one, minimise your transport costs, up your exercise and no drunk driving issues. Cycling waterproofs are very good!!
  • jrobbins25
    Options
    I'm in love with Team Beachbody workouts! (You may have heard of P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Fire, Insanity..). I finished one called Rockin' Body before and loved my results for how low impact of a work out it was. I am currently doing Turbo Fire and I LOVE it!
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I stand behind Beachbody at-home workout programs... I've done P90X, Turbo Fire and ChaLEAN Extreme. They're a bit of money up front but there is no monthly fee like a gym!! Good luck finding what works for you! =)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Ireland's public libraries, but mine here in the states has TONS of fitness DVD's ranging from easy to Insanity and beyond. Try your local library.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    BodyRock.tv, you can modify exercises that need equipment or search for no equipment workouts at www.litealloy.com.

Take up running, I've only been doing it a month (Couch to 5k) but I'm amazed how I've improved and it really feels great. Bonus, I've read that people who run for at least 4 hrs a week burn more calories all the time than those who don't.
  • meabhaline
    meabhaline Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    From August to September (the university has a gym I assume). Try walking, jogging etc. when you can, and weights using your body weight. Maybe buy or borrow a video or two?

Congrats on going to university!

Thanks I am super excited.

its actually a pretty small campus and no facilities like that. They have sports teams, maybe if i can fit it in around classes and part time work i could join one of them.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv, myomytv.com, on youtube theres fitness blender, fit for duty, tiffany rothe and Janis Saffel. I have links on my computer but Im on my phone right now so I'll have to post them later.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Do you have deal websites like Living Social or Groupon? I'm here in the states and sometimes they will have deals on gym memberships or boot camps.
    I can't always get to the gym because I have two kiddos and they're nuts (literally, I have the paperwork to prove it), so I've been doing videos on youtube but this morning I actually found a Groupon for an exercise ball, two 2 pound weight balls and some tension bands. It was like $19 which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the gym and then I had t0o add $3 for shipping. I know the deal is good nationwide, but I don't think it ships internationally. Doesn't hurt to look though...

The exercise equipment was on Groupon under the 'Goods' section:
    http://www.groupon.com/r/uu44080321

One of the youtube videos I just did was here: http://youtu.be/Kuy4x_viY4M

Hope you find something that works for you.

:)
  • PrettyKeli
    PrettyKeli Posts: 29
    Options
    Youtube! There are many different FREE workout videos on there that you can do from home ^_^
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    http://healthysexyhappy.tumblr.com/moveyourassnow

bodyrock.tv/

myomytv.com/

nerdfitness.com
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Total-Body-Balance-Ball/dp/B000VDXFU8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1341789324&sr=8-5&keywords=gaiam

I don't know if you can get the above shipped to Ireland from Amazon, or what the cost would be, but I have this and it's really great ($21 for the US). The set includes a balance ball, pump, resistance band, and DVD (check to see if there is a version of the DVD that would work on your DVD player). The workouts are split into upper body, lower body, and core. So you can do all of them together, which lasts just over an hour, or pick a section and just do that. I also have a gym membership but I like this for nights when I feel like I need a little extra exercise or I can't make it over to the gym. If you can get it I think it's a great set for very little money.