HELP ME!

Options
Ok here is the story.........was playing slowpitch softball on 2nd last Thurs and got hit by a line drive right in my shin (yes I know I should have caught the ball right?) well anyway my foot is still swollen and black and blue and really hurts to walk very far on so my question is how am I going to get my exercise in????? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated because I DO NOT want to gain my weight back!

Replies

• rucks20
    rucks20 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Did you go to the Dr?? Do you have access to a pool? Swimming is great exercise!! Does it hurt to ride a bike??
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    OUCH!!!!! Did you get X rays??
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    Def. swimming is a great alternative! Feel better soon.
  • Jessamyfrm
    Jessamyfrm Posts: 89
    Options
    Yoga and pilates has always been great exercise for people coming back into work after an injury, perhaps this could help you?
  • NanaDino4
    NanaDino4 Posts: 63
    Options
    pool if you have access to one...great workout without all the strain on body.
  • headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That sounds painful. But I understand how hard it is to catch those balls sometimes. I got one in the face a few years back because I wasn't quick enough to catch it. The question regarding "can you ride a bike" is a really good one because that is a great way to stay trim and get your exercise but in a very low weight bearing way. I know as a nurse and as a patient following knee injury, riding the bike really worked for rehabilitation and relatively pain free way to get the exercise I needed. Perhaps a friend has a stationary bike you can borrow for a couple of week or so. Good luck and get better soon.
  • headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also, am assuming you got an x-ray? If so remember lots of heat and cold compresses. Very cold for a few minutes then alternate with the heat. The one reduces swelling and eases pain and the other brings blood into the region to help heal. :flowerforyou:
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If it is still black and blue, you could have a cracked or broken bone. Sounds like you need to see someone who can determine if it is broken or not. And can suggest a treatment for the bruised foot. You need to have it checked out.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Just eat healthy and stay at your maintenance calorie goal and rest until you can exercise again and you won't gain any weight.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that you broke your shin, but an x-ray is a good idea if it doesn't get better.

Biking and water exercise will help the body dissipate the swelling.

Gentle retrograde massage (from the foot, towards the body) can help push the swelling out. Doesn't need to be anything technical, just think of "milking" the swelling back toward your body.

ICE, ICE, ICE.

Elevate your foot a bit when you sleep. Take a folded blanket and put it under the end of your mattress and that will lift it up without you having to stay in one position with your foot on a pillow.

A compression.elastic wrap can help too. Start at the toes, and wrap up just past the site of impact. The wrap should be a bit tighter (but tolerable) in the foot, and loosen up a bit as you go up. By the time you get to the top, you should easily be able to slide a finger or two under the wrap. You may need two wraps to cover that distance. Also, you can put a compression pad over the impact site to help with the local swelling there if you have a welt. Just use some felt or foam and cut it about the size of the welt, then wrap it on as above.

A 3-7 day course of ibuprofen can help with inflammation, but only if you stay on it 3-4x per day. Taking it randomly here or there only helps with pain.

Bone bruises can take 12-16 weeks to heal, so don't be surprised if you continue to have tenderness to pressure at the impact site for quite a while.

Again, if you're concerned, see your doc.

Hope that helps!
    Good luck for a speedy recovery.
    Jen

ETA: the swelling in the foot is just bruising from your leg that has dropped into the foot due to gravity (water runs downhill). Vascular return to the heart is passive... it depends on mechanical compression from muscle contraction. But when there is extra fluid, and decreased body movement due to pain, this system can get overwhelmed. Hence the ice, elevation and compression!
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I didn't get it xrayed............but Im thinking I might just to be on the safe side this week. thanks for all the reply's they all helped alot!