rough week (s)

Options
So far since March I've managed to drop almost 30 pounds, and really feel great.... However- At the moment things are kinda rough, I had to spend way more than I thought I would for my cousins wedding, and financially I get absolutely no help for raising my nephew. Needless to say I havent been able to buy some of the things I have been eating since beginning my journey, so my eating habits are slowly falling back to what they once were. I really have another 80 pounds I would like to lose & I'm hoping people can give me any types of ideas for less expensive foods to eat/snack on. My stress level has been through the roof lately and I just want to get back on track, this is the first time I've fallen off, but I get so frustrated with myself because I feel like it's something I should be able to continue to work on... I haven't gained any weight back but for almost 2 weeks it hasnt dropped any either.... I usually kill my workouts- I guess to kind of help with the extra crap I'm eating but I feel like the fat girl is laughing in my ear saying " I told you , you'd fail" Guess today is just one of those ugh days...Maybe I just needed to vent? THANKS FOR LISTENING!

Replies

• RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's ok girly - we all have those days/weeks. I just started running and have a consistent schedule at work but today/yesterday I felt like I could eat everything in my kitchen.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is rough, but I can relate. When I started on MFP my husband and I were both employed full time. Fast forward a year and we were both unemployed. I know what it's like to have to give up some of the things that we were buying to stay healthier! That said, one thing I have realized is some healthy foods that seem expensive are not when you eliminate buying the unhealthy stuff. For example, I just picked up a big 2 pound bag of baby carrots today for $2.50, that's less than a bag of chips and it'll last us all week, probably longer than a bag of chips. Same thing with a canteloupe, pineapple, etc. I can't lie and say that I snack perfectly all of the time, but when I prioritize buying the healthier foods the budget evens out. Hope this helps you!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Temporary setbacks don't equal failure. I personally struggle with food and some days/weeks are worse than others. Just keep at it and try to focus on the positive choices you are making and not on the bad days.
  • jaxboxchick
    Options
    I've been stuck in a rut for months now, like you not gaining weight, but not doing anything to get me to my goals. My new plan is to remind myself WHY I wanted to do this, and how awesome it is going to be when I've completed this journey. I thought it would be quick and I'd be done MONTHS ago, but I'm not and it's discouraging. You have to sit there and ask yourself if you are happy with what you're doing right now. I know that answer for me is a HUGE no!

Tell that fat chick talking in your ear to bug off, and talk to us instead :) What is your main motivation for losing weight? Do you have a reward planned for when you reach your ultimate goal? I'm going to set a goal for myself just for this week, something good to make me push myself and see if I can get some results...results = motivation for me and I know I just need to get back on track and back in that "OMG I lost weight and I feel great" mode again.

Good luck to you!
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    I've been stuck in a rut for months now, like you not gaining weight, but not doing anything to get me to my goals. My new plan is to remind myself WHY I wanted to do this, and how awesome it is going to be when I've completed this journey. I thought it would be quick and I'd be done MONTHS ago, but I'm not and it's discouraging. You have to sit there and ask yourself if you are happy with what you're doing right now. I know that answer for me is a HUGE no!

Tell that fat chick talking in your ear to bug off, and talk to us instead :) What is your main motivation for losing weight? Do you have a reward planned for when you reach your ultimate goal? I'm going to set a goal for myself just for this week, something good to make me push myself and see if I can get some results...results = motivation for me and I know I just need to get back on track and back in that "OMG I lost weight and I feel great" mode again.

Good luck to you!

My original main reason for starting to lose weight was because my cousin asked me to be in her wedding ( June 23rd) I lost 26 pounds from March til then, I was/ really AM proud of myself- I've been the same weight for 8 years so when it started coming off I was beyond amazed! I've set little goals for along the way, but I know it will take quite sometime before the ultimate goal is reached. My ultimate goal is to start my own family in a couple years. I just worry becauseI already work fulltime- I'm looking into going back to school and my boyfriend already works 2 jobs the stress is a pain some days...
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You tell that chick to SHUT UP!! You have lost a huge amount of weight is a very short time. CELEBRATE that every day!! The fact that you have maintained for 2 weeks in the midst of so much stress is a HUGE success....CELEBRATE that too. You obviously know what to do. Don't beat yourself up...that is letting the fat girl win. Take a deep breathe and pick one thing to focus on each day. That will make you feel better and in control. Good Luck.....You totally have this!!
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's tempting to think buying a meal at McD's is a lot less expensive than buying everything you need for a meal to cook at home.
    BUT, if you put a bit of time and dedication into it, you can buy those same groceries and prepare several meals to last for weeks. For example, cook up a bunch of chicken breast and use it for sandwiches, salads, soups, and stews over the next few weeks.
    I don't mean to sound rude, and I may be way off base, but it's sounds like your motivation is lacking more than your funds.

You can do this. Get back in the game. Do what you can, let God take care of the rest.
  • Missi3601
    Options
    It's tempting to think buying a meal at McD's is a lot less expensive than buying everything you need for a meal to cook at home.
    BUT, if you put a bit of time and dedication into it, you can buy those same groceries and prepare several meals to last for weeks. For example, cook up a bunch of chicken breast and use it for sandwiches, salads, soups, and stews over the next few weeks.
    I don't mean to sound rude, and I may be way off base, but it's sounds like your motivation is lacking more than your funds.

You can do this. Get back in the game. Do what you can, let God take care of the rest.
    [/qyuote]

you dont sound rude- it may be... I still go to the gym 5 days a week, play softball 2 days a week, and a few things in between but maybe just mentally I'm withdrawn? Is that possible?
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating and inexpensive eating can easibly be combined. Sometimes it just takes adjusting your taste buds to eating simple (less sodium, sauces, etc...) My grocery list is pretty simple. Bags of chicken breasts, salmon filets, canned tuna/chicken and steamable veggies. My lunch probably cost me less than $3/day. I cook most everything on a George Foreman grill. The key ingredient is advace preparation. If you wait until your hungry to prepare your meal it's too late. You will be tempted to grab something quick which is usually not the best choice.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating and inexpensive eating can easibly be combined. Sometimes it just takes adjusting your taste buds to eating simple (less sodium, sauces, etc...) My grocery list is pretty simple. Bags of chicken breasts, salmon filets, canned tuna/chicken and steamable veggies. My lunch probably cost me less than $3/day. I cook most everything on a George Foreman grill. The key ingredient is advace preparation. If you wait until your hungry to prepare your meal it's too late. You will be tempted to grab something quick which is usually not the best choice.

This is excellent advice! It really helps to try to utilize a minimal amount of ingredients to make a variety of meals. You can have chicken every day, seasoned differently and you won't feel like you are bored!
  • Missi3601
    Options

This is excellent advice! It really helps to try to utilize a minimal amount of ingredients to make a variety of meals. You can have chicken every day, seasoned differently and you won't feel like you are bored!

This may sound dumb- but any advice on seasonings? I'm not much of a seasonings person- everything I make is pretty basic..
  • romabennett
    Options
    But you said you haven't gained any weight. Given the circumstances that's a huge achievement in itself. Well done!

It will all come right again. Keep going. Do the best you can, and constantly remind yourself that your best is pretty damned good!
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

This may sound dumb- but any advice on seasonings? I'm not much of a seasonings person- everything I make is pretty basic..

I try to season mainly with hot sauces or garlic. I don't use much other than that. I keep it simple, mainly because simple is easy.
  • tracyjh01
    tracyjh01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here's a chicken recipe I just used tonight:

Boneless, skinless chicken breast
    crushed Basil
    salt & pepper to taste
    low sodium chicken broth
    1 tsp olive oil

Place chicken breast in shallow baking pan, brush with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, sprinkle basil over chicken.
    Pour chicken broth around chicken breast
    Bake @ 400 degrees for 35-40 min or until cooked thru
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here's a real easy glaze that works well on pork tenderloin.

I made the pork tonight, it was amazing.

1/4 c balsamic vinegar
    1/4 c Brown sugar blend splenda
    1.5 lb pork tenderloin.

Brown the pork and remove from skillet.
    Add balsamic vinegar then brown sugar to the skillet
    Allow to thicken then roll the tenderloin in the skillet.
    Put in a roasting pan and bake at 425 for 20 min.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Speaking of seasonings, if you have a Whole Foods or Fresh Market near you, they sell spices in bulk. It's MUCH cheaper to buy it that way, rather than buying the prepackaged bottles.

Do you have any outdoor space at all, even if it's just an apartment balcony? If so, you can grow lots of veggies from seed, even in containers. Green beans, tomatoes, squash, you name it. Seeds cost just pennies. It's not too late to plant - we're getting ready to do our second planting of the year, which should carry us into fall.

Another option is farmers markets. You can get lots of good veggies, better quality than in the supermarkets, and for less money.

For snacks, one of my favorites is fruit. You can buy a bag of oranges for just a few dollars, and they will go a long way. Eating one kills my craving for sweets, and fills me up.

As for meats, if you find a store running a good special, try to stock up if you can, and freeze them for later.

Hang in there - you can do this!
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Zucchini and summer squash are in season here in Pennsylvania. I've made this dish a couple times this week because it's so easy and delicious! It serves about 2 because that's all the room I have in the pan, and it's kind of an everything but the kitchen sink recipe. I just dump in a little bit of all the veggies we have in the fridge:

Ingredients:
    1/2 large Zucchini (or one small), sliced w/skin.
    1/2 large Summer Squash (or one small), sliced w/skin.
    1/2 Vidalia onion, sliced into bite size pieces, but not diced.
    3 mushrooms, sliced.
    A handful of grape tomatoes, cut in half.
    A handful of baby carrots, cut into bite size pieces.
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Rosemary
    Basil
    Sea Salt
    Ground pepper

Pour a little bit of olive oil in a skillet, and turn it on low. Let it heat up a little bit.
    Dump in all the sliced veggies and turn the heat up to medium.
    Add a little more Olive Oil (keeping in mind serving size, etc.)
    Toss in some sea salt, a few dashes of ground pepper, the basil, rosemary, and if you have spinach dip mix, some of that.
    Stir up as though you're tossing a salad.
    Cover with lid. You'll want to lift the lid to stir occasionally.

You can serve this rice or eat it plain. Tonight I had it on brown rice, and we grilled a chicken breast to go with it.

oGZlzl.jpg
  • sweet1ntx
    sweet1ntx Posts: 18
    Options
    Have you tried fresh sugar snap peas? They cost the same as a bag of chips and give you a "crunchy" texture with a little sweet taste....plus you get a green veggie in for the day. A serving is 1 1/3 cups and only 35-40 calories. Don't be hard on yourself...the fact that you have lost as much as you have inspires me. Celebrate what you have done so far and just keep going!