prices for gyms with daycare? or your monthly payment..

Options
Hey all~

I have lost about 55 lbs on my own, but I'm stuck now, and I need a gym in my opinion...but I also need one that has daycare, there is only one in town that offers it and for them to watch my 2 kids my price per month would be roughly 70.00. does this seem like an OK price? I mean, its not like I can actually shop around, I just want some reassurance that its worth it I guess! what are your membership fees?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That seems a bit steep.

My gym offers child care and I only pay 33.50 a month.

I'd look around a bit more.
  • KLovesTy
    KLovesTy Posts: 37
    Options
    That seems a bit steep.

I wish I could, its the only gym for an hours drive that offers it, i live in a town of only 9,000 people total. im just not sure what else to do by myself to lose the weight with my 2 kids all the time. kinda stuck.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That seems a bit steep.

I wish I could, its the only gym for an hours drive that offers it, i live in a town of only 9,000 people total. im just not sure what else to do by myself to lose the weight with my 2 kids all the time. kinda stuck.

Do you have a YMCA? a lot of them offer childcare.. and may make it a bit a cheaper.

How old are the kids? I know a lot of mom's workout while the kids nap or do homework.. or before/after they go to sleep.

You can do workout DVD's, go on a walk/run as a family, do bodyweight exercises for strength.

There is a lot you can do.. just have to get creative!
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym, so I dont have to pay, but we would charge $70.00 for you and your two young children as well, so its not uncommon to pay that. We are a gym that is comparable to the YMCA, and the YMCA in our area has the same pricing.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the YMCA. I'm not 100% sure on how their childcare program works, but I do know that depending on your financial status they may potentially reduce your membership fees/not charge you one at all making it much more affordable. It's worth looking into if you haven't already!
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym (yet) but I did email the one closest to me a few months ago and they emailed me back that their monthly rate "starts at" $35 per month + $15/month for the first child, $7 for each additional or $4/day, for daycare
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The price of gym memberships varies greatly depending on where you live. Your profile is private and I have no idea where you live so I can't answer your question. I can tell you that I live in the Midwest and I pay $60 a month which includes child care.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    not sure what the monthly rate is I know they have one and it ends up being more per year to pay monthly at my local YMCA but we do the yearly family plan and its about 365.00 for the entire year (that price is also with a 30% discount that my hubbys work pitches in ). Child care is either 2.75 per child per hour or you can purchase a 20.00 card and its good for unlimited use for one month per child ( you must be in the building to use the child room).

ETA-- this is for a family of 4
  • chayoxela
    chayoxela Posts: 23
    Options
    Is that price significantly different from the price of other gyms in your town, just because it has childcare?

We go to the Y and to 24-Hour Fitness. Both have free childcare for members and the monthly fee is significantly less than $70 a month. But it varies by area. We are in North Texas.
  • simplyme99
    simplyme99 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I live in the south ... I pay $25 per month WITH childcare. Seventy is too high IMO!
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    not sure what the monthly rate is I know they have one and it ends up being more per year to pay monthly at my local YMCA but we do the yearly family plan and its about 365.00 for the entire year (that price is also with a 30% discount that my hubbys work pitches in ). Child care is either 2.75 per child per hour or you can purchase a 20.00 card and its good for unlimited use for one month per child ( you must be in the building to use the child room).

ETA-- this is for a family of 4

WOW! We pay almost a $100 a month; childcare for 1; 2 adults, 1 teenager. That is just for the one Y, not the ones in the area. We do qualify for a reduce rate, I need to drop off the paperwork.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    we use they Y and our famiy membership is 39 a month for all of us and daycare is 1$
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Well I guess this really does depend on where you live. My gym membership is $100 per month with no child minding. Some gyms offer it at an extra charge (only the large gyms I don't want to join).

If I were to take then to the community childcare center next to the gym I use it would cost me $70 each day for the two of them.

So from where I sit - that deal seems like an absolute bargain!
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    I pay $45 for the gym, child care (2hour max) & tanning.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Well I guess this really does depend on where you live. My gym membership is $100 per month with no child minding. Some gyms offer it at an extra charge (only the large gyms I don't want to join).

If I were to take then to the community childcare center next to the gym I use it would cost me $70 each day for the two of them.

So from where I sit - that deal seems like an absolute bargain!

Wow Ray - didn't realise it was so expensive to go there. Sheesh! But I guess it's got the works.