How to reach new goals - push ups and sit ups

Options
Merithyn
Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
For the first time in my life, I've made goals to be able to do military push ups and regular sit ups. I want to be strong enough to do both since I have never been before. But I don't know how to get there.

My initial thought is to just keep trying every day. Do modified until I can do real, and then just keep going. But is that right? Will doing it every day hurt me in some way? Will doing the modified exercises eventually get me to my goal?

Suggestions welcome.

Replies

• Merithyn
    Options
    Bump. :smile:
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    yes it will. any start or beginning will end in a good place
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Check out http://hundredpushups.com/index.html - a program that gives you a plan based on how many pushups you can do at the start, and builds you up from there. They also have a program for situps.

I got partway through the pushups program but got sidetracked & stopped, but it was working great for me! I need to get back to it one of these days. Check it out at the link, and if you have a smart phone, they have an app as well.
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    definitely modify until you can do the real thing, before I was only able to do 3 or 4 full pull ups until I couldnt anymore, but every time I did pullups I would do what I could then do as many assisted pullups as I could before I just couldnt anymore. Eventually my body adjusted and now I can do 20+ unassisted pullups in a set. good luck you will reach your goals!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yup, do modified and try for a real one as well. I recently was able to do my first real push-ups, and I'd been doing the ones where you lean on your knees but tilt forward so your hips are low before that. I'd try every once in a while. Now I can do a handful of real ones, I'll do as many as I can, rest, and do modified again until I'm tired, then repeat the next time.

Edited as I made a typo :/
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    If you have a gym memberships, use the resistance machines to do a variety of arm, shoulder, and back exercises. A few months ago, I could barely do 15 modified (knee) pushups, and the other day I did 20 standard and could've kept going.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I would try one regular pushup first every single time. If you can do one, try two. When you can't do regular pushups anymore, go to your knees. Finish out the rest of your set on your knees. After your break, try it up on your feet again and repeat for each set. Go to your knees when you can't do anymore. Don't sacrifice form just to do them on your feet.... once your back starts to bow or you start dipping your head, it's time to go to your knees!

Don't give up! You can improve on pushups quickly if you really hit it hard. I start basic training just passing my pushup test as I hadn't done pushups in months... when I left training I was maxxing out my PT test in every event, including pushups.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you want to read up on the subject a little, try reading Convict Conditioning, 1 and 2. They are a good read, and can provide some really nice calisthenics training ideas. It's awesome for confidence too, when you can perform a perfect bridge, or a press flag, just training for such goals is incredibly motivating.

Good luck!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you can't do a push up on your toes with good form, then definitely modify on your knees until your form is perfect...then try your set with one toe pushup and add one more on your toes, with good form, until you get where you want to be. This has been an ongoing project for me, as well. It's mental with me...I keep telling myself I can't because back in Jr High when I was obese I couldn't. But I'm getting there! Good luck!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    www.bodyweightculture.com
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    In my experience, the best way to do a push up is to do a push up.

Push ups require a lot of core strength. When you push on your knees, you're not really working your core like you need to.

I know this is an extreme example, but when I went into basic, I couldn't do any push ups, but when I was done I could do 32 in two minutes. It took 9 weeks. I attribute that to having to do an actual push up. Not being able to fiddle around with going to my knees, (or whatever else one might do to avoid pushing on your toes) I think, was the reason why I (and most others) were able to do a proper push up in a reasonable amount of time. I wasn't fresh out of high school. I was a 26 year-old mortgage closer when I enlisted.

Another thing you can do is stay in the plank position (the "up") part as long as you can. That really helps too. If you must do them on your knees, push your knees as far back as you can without lying on the floor.
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Thank you all for your great suggestions!

As a rule, I do 3 sets of 8 modified push ups several times a week. I think I'll take all of your advice and do as many regular push ups as I can first, and then fall into the modified, pushing myself harder each time. Right now that's none, but If I keep pushing myself on the modified on that schedule, I'm hoping to fix that.

I also like the idea of holding the plank form for as long as I can, too. Definitely something I can do, if not for very long.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Check out http://hundredpushups.com/index.html - a program that gives you a plan based on how many pushups you can do at the start, and builds you up from there. They also have a program for situps.

I got partway through the pushups program but got sidetracked & stopped, but it was working great for me! I need to get back to it one of these days. Check it out at the link, and if you have a smart phone, they have an app as well.

YAY!! Thanks for this - I am totally gonna get on that!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here's how I progressed to full push--ups from being weak as a kitten with a shoulder injury:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396
  • Merithyn
    Options
    Brilliant, Berry! Thank you!
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options

^^^this
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to do push-ups too! I have never been able to do proper push-ups, even when I was really fit.

At the moment, I'm practicing by doing push ups with my hands higher than my feet. The idea is that I can slowly lower my hands until they're down on the floor. I've tried this against a wall, stairs, solid furniture, etc. I'm fine with doing a plank, but my arms give out - I think they genuinely can't lift my considerable weight! I'm also doing bench presses, because I think I'd be using some of the same muscles. (Pushing a weight away from your chest isn't so terribly different from pushing the floor away from your chest. Or so I imagine).
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

I am so adding this to my regime, thanks :)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    http://hundredpushups.com/

this is the link a male friend of mine from the army gave me,

He said some of the girls in his base have used this program and its worked, He also said if you cant do 1 full military push up then start with lady push ups (with your knees on the ground rather than your toes) and work on that first ....

Im about to start this today :) Good Luck

ETS .. you could possibly follow the same routine for sit ups :)