Apple Cider Vinegar Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet? I've been doing a lot of research and since I'm healthy, I figure I could try it. There's a lot of positive feedback on its helpfulness to lose weight, as well as other health benefits. The only thing is, though, that it tastes absolutely disgusting. I've been mixing it with honey and its barely drinkable. Hopefully my taste for it improves in the next few days. Any thoughts? :)

Replies

• BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I truly believe taking ACV works. I have tried it in the past and it helped with dropping weight.

I had forgotten about it and then started taking a teaspoon before dinner a few weeks ago. It seems to have helped with my 2 months old weight loss stall as I have dropped 2 lbs since last week.

Just so you know It has to be the kind that has the "Mother" in it like Braggs. I also think the ACV pills work when you aren't able to drink it.

I should also mention I eat "clean" and try to keep my calories between 1200-1500.

Last year we went to the Canary Islands and I ate whatever I wanted. I came home 5 lbs lighter than when we left! I think it is because I was taking the ACV pills before meals when we were there.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    From one place I saw - the ACV pills have a concentrated acid content that can burn your insides and should be avoided
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Ewww... that sounds GROSS. =/ I wouldn't do it. If anything try grapefruit juice..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. Lifestyle change does. If you're not willing to do a diet plan for the rest of your life, then it's a temporary fix.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    ACV is great for health. I have mixed reviews on 'weight loss', but it's fantastic for your health regardless. Make sure it's not the **** from the grocery store and you get a brand like Bragg's. You can water down the shots or add some honey to help with the taste.
  • AndreaDaPrincess
    AndreaDaPrincess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ACV is very healthy. Google the benefits of Apple Cider Vineger, you will be amazed at the health benefits, even if you don't use it for weight loss. Then weight loss would be an added plus. Braggs w/ the mother.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I used to drink it mixed with honey and water as a kid, because I liked the taste. No idea about the magical weight loss stuff.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ewww, I bought vinegar with mother in the bottle. Looked like someone had hacked up a great big load of phlegm in after filling it with vinegar. Totally put me off the silly diet, thank goodness. One thing to note is that acidic drinks weaken the enamel on your teeth so if you're going to go about drinking even diluted vinegar, make sure to use a straw to lessen the damage and not brush for a few hours afterwards.

The only reason I can see for this diet to work is the supposed link between putting vinegar/lemon juice on food and the lowering of the gi level as a result. One of my trainers was big on eating vinegary meals and swore that they kept her fuller, although she was a bit unhinged so it's unlikely to be true.

Best of luck with the enamel stripping diet!
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about how healthy it is, and how many benefits ACV has, and so I've been adding 2 tablespoons to my fruit protein shakes in the morning. I've noticed that it definitely suppresses my appetite, and I don't tend to crave sugar like I normally do (an AMAZING side effect).
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. Lifestyle change does. If you're not willing to do a diet plan for the rest of your life, then it's a temporary fix.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.
  • Frederi825
    Frederi825 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    People are referring to the "mother" in connection with Apple Cider Vinegar. What is the mother!?
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it is disgusting.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My wife and I tried this before our wedding a few years ago and we did loose weight. We took it with different fruit juices to help with the taste (orange and pineapple seemed to help the most). It was really hard to remember to take it 30 minutes before eating and Im not sure that it wasnt just a loss of appetite from drinking it and then brushing our teeth before eating that made us lose the weight. Of course like most other "diets" all the weight came back after we stopped doing it. We didnt do it long enough to notice any other health benefits.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do the Braggs every morning. I wouldnt really call it the ACV Diet though lol, its just an aid I think that can possibly help not to mention all the other wonderful benefits from it. I have to take mine like a shot and then chase it down with water though...no way I could stand to drink a glass of water with it in it hehe.

~Carrie~
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just posted a ketchup recipe here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/659276-ketchup-recipe?hl=ketchup#posts-9578325

It uses Bragg's apple cider vinegar. Every little bit helps, I suppose.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    People are referring to the "mother" in connection with Apple Cider Vinegar. What is the mother!?

Its the brand. The Actual brand is Braggs Organic Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother.

I wasnt able to find it in our Walmart but our Ingles grocery Store had it, or you can find it online.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options

It looks like a dusty spider web at the bottom of the jar. If you do purchase some. Make sure it is organic as well. Here is a good pic. http://kathyschultz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/apple-cider-vinegar-with-mother1.png

I think there are many benefits to ACV.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/nutrition/apple-cider-vinegar
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    The mother is the living nutrients and bacteria that is left in the vinegar instead of filtered and pasteurized like the super see through acv you get in most grocery stores.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to take 2T of apple cider vinegar every morning a few years back. I did lose weight, but I believe it was coincidental; I was also eating healthfully and exercising 5x a week. I've read some claims that it helps with appetite suppression, but I have no idea why or if this would be true. Who knows though. I don't think it will do you any harm.