How to Prevent Moldy Berries

Options
sunrise611
sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
Berries.jpg

Berries are delicious, but they're also kind of delicate. Raspberries in particular seem like they can mold before you even get them home from the market. There's nothing more tragic than paying $4 for a pint of local raspberries, only to look in the fridge the next day and find that fuzzy mold growing on their insides.

Well, with fresh berries just starting to hit farmers markets, we can tell you that how to keep them fresh! Here’s a tip I’m sharing on how to prevent them from getting there in the first place:

Wash them with vinegar.

When you get your berries home, prepare a mixture of one part vinegar (white or apple cider probably work best) and ten parts water. Dump the berries into the mixture and swirl around. Drain, rinse if you want (though the mixture is so diluted you can't taste the vinegar,) and pop in the fridge. The vinegar kills any mold spores and other bacteria that might be on the surface of the fruit, and voila! Raspberries will last a week or more, and strawberries go almost two weeks without getting moldy and soft. So go forth and stock up on those pricey little gems, knowing they'll stay fresh as long as it takes you to eat them.

You're so berry velcome!

Replies

• Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • mrsmoma
    mrsmoma Posts: 9
    Options
    Kinda dumb question, but do you store them airtight or open? And you do dry them all the way before storing them right?
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Nice tip! I keep a decorative bottle filled with white vinegar out lately so I can splash some into my dishwasher the nights I don't run it, to combat smells. LOL
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Kinda dumb question, but do you store them airtight or open? And you do dry them all the way before storing them right?

I haven't tried this tip yet but I think I will store them open - maybe in a closed container - but dried off as much as possible.

Good question!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I've actually been wondering about that. I will have to try it out.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I could kiss you right now. Thank you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just bought a flat of strawberries and a bunch of blues. i'll try this now!
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    thank you for the tip!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    How to Prevent Moldy Berries whewwww not what i thought i was gonna suggest washing your got dern underwear
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    That's good to know. I'm going shopping tomorrow and I really don't want to have to go back again in a few days. Thank you!
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much! I love fresh berries and really hate how fast they go bad. I will definately try this out!!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank You this is what I needed to know.
  • zeleni
    zeleni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!
  • oldsalty1
    oldsalty1 Posts: 70
    Options
    So...I was thinking this...just didn't say it...LOL..

How to Prevent Moldy Berries whewwww not what i thought i was gonna suggest washing your got dern underwear
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    That information is PRICELESS! Thanks!
  • athminbri
    athminbri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Teffy2
    Teffy2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I'm dying.....I had to tell my son this one..it's so funny
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this,
  • Sntimentildy
    Sntimentildy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Great tip thanks for posting, I was just complaining about this to my hubby. I just bought strawberries two days ago and already they are soft. So I had to hurry and eat them so they would be ok.
  • wahchile
    wahchile Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!