eating after 8pm

Options
So i've heard mixed rumours about this. Some people have said it slows down the weight loss process, others have it doesn't really make a difference.

What are your thoughts?? / Personal experiences?!

Replies

• imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've heard its best not to eat less than 3 hours before you go to sleep. For example, I usually go to bed around 9, so I try not to eat past 6PM. Its difficult but I guess it works for a lot of people! I think its a positive change for me, anyway, because it helps me to eat less overall.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Its fine as long as it fits within your calories and you account for it. Not fine if it's mindless munching that you don't accurately log or puts you over your calories.

Unless it turns you in to a gremlin.
  • dzvinka82
    dzvinka82 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have had no problems losing weight eating after 8pm, as long as its within my calorie limits. I guess it really depends on what works best for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a Gremlin, I don't see much of a problem in eating at night
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    No problem at all. I'm eating a big bowl of strawberries right now and it's nearly 9:30 pm.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Its fine as long as it fits within your calories and you account for it. Not fine if it's mindless munching that you don't accurately log or puts you over your calories.

Unless it turns you in to a gremlin.
    Great advise. I can't sleep if I'm hungryneed to have a piece of cheese to take the edge off.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't eat past 8 or 9 and go to bed at midnight or 1 am. It works for me but I can't give any concrete evidence either way.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I eat at all hours if I am hungry, and I do not think it has slowed me down. I am getting ready to eat and it is 9:30 PM here.
  • lockedinpa
    lockedinpa Posts: 33
    Options
    This is one of my biggest weaknesses. i do seem to gain when doing this on a regular basis.
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    I don't eat past 8pm. I got into this habit years ago.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat. Our bodies don't tell time.
  • mbaugham
    mbaugham Posts: 70
    Options
    I try not to eat past 7:00pm if at all possible. I find that if I eat late and then go to bed, I have issues sleeping.
    If I get an urge to eat something, I normally drink water or make some hot herbal tea instead. Normally that helps me.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When you eat has absolutely no impact on weight loss. Some experts recommend not to eat shortly before bed because it can disrupt your sleep and THAT can effect weight loss.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i eat right up until i go to bed. i can't fall asleep if i'm hungry.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Its hard to tell. Nutritionists and personal trainers and other experts in the feild say it doesn't matter when you eat. Just eat when you feel hungry and stay within your goals. News media and people selling books and magazines always say that you should not eat right before bed.

I'm always confused as to which I should believe.
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    per Jillian Michaels, I do not eat past 9pm because that's when your body's ghrelin hormone (the one that helps process food) beings to lower for the night...i.e. food you eat is more likely to store to fat than be processed efficiently. Her book "Mastering Your Metabolism" is great describing this.
  • lifesazoo
    lifesazoo Posts: 118
    Options
    Great question! I've been very curious about this too. My problem is that I've noticed I don't make the best food choices if I do eat later in the evenings. It's more former snack time and I'm pretty sure how I gained this weight in the first place. I'm going to try allowing myself one low cal snack and see if that helps me.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    not true. i eat pretty much every night after 8pm. I have dinner around 6p. and then I have a night time snack - typically something high in protein or low in calories. It has NOT hindered my weight loss, in fact I suggest it!

My go to night time snacks are --
    veggies (cucumbers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower) & roasted red pepper hummus or salsa.
    nuts (my preferred are cashews, pistachios, and almonds)
    and protein sweet snack (protein powder, cocoa powder, pb2 mixed with a little water to form a pastey consistency and frozen for a bit)

To date, I've lost almost 115lbs, and I have had a night time snack pretty much every night since I made my lifestyle change.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference metabolically (according to doc) but she said it makes you hungrier in the morning, can give you gas throughout the night, and upset your stomach in the morning. Basically if you eat before bed, when you sleep, your digestive processes are slower.