Who gets in exersise when working???

Options

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    When I worked a full-time corporate job I walked most days on my lunch...about an hour, getting close to 4 miles in. And I took "smoke breaks" with my friends who smoked so we could sneak in walks around the parking lot. They weren't sanctioned breaks but we worked hard and often times very long hours so nobody cared.

We used to have a yoga instuctor come in sometimes too. That was the best! And in the winter we'd even go to the park near work and ice skate. Ah, the good old days. (Now I teach so my lunch hour is often spent planning the afternoon.)

Congrats for making it fit into your day!!
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Depending on which office location im on, I would do L sits, push ups, dips, and sometimes even pull ups lol
  • vjsavini
    vjsavini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Since we get an hour for lunch, I usually take a 40 minute walk at lunch. Sometimes I will bring my basketball and shoot baskets ( we have a basketball court in the parking lot) for a change of pace. I figure that since it only takes me about 15-20 minutes to eat, i can do some light excersize the rest of the time. It makes a big difference in how I feel, the rest of the day.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I teach 7th grade. I NEVER sit down. To actually sit at my desk with 38 12-year-olds in the room would be a big mistake. So basically I'm on my feet, walking around all day, often stooping down, climbing over backpacks, leaning over tables, passing stuff out. . . . I just got a fitbit, so I'm eager to see what it says when I go back to school in a week. When I used to use my Walk4Life pedometer, I easily logged my 10,000 steps before school was out each day.
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work at a grocery store so I stand for almost all of my 6 hour shift. Sometimes when things need to go back to the shelves I'll take advantage of that to take a walk around the store. I'm a little embarrassed to say that on my break I'll go into the bathroom and do jumping jacks or jump rope... heheh :x
  • jaspn1981
    jaspn1981 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im also a corrections officer, while working in the control room, I will use water bags, or dumbbells to work out. not much room, but you learn how to make it work. The inmates have pull up bars / Dip bars in the sections, and if I get a spare minute or 2, I'll do a few sets really fast. Its not optimal. But compared to doing nothing, sitting on Facebook with a bag of chips for 12 hours... its still better.

Also, just walking around, doing my inspections, walking up and down the section stairs in all 3 sections its so much better than what I used to do.
  • mbaugham
    mbaugham Posts: 70
    Options
    I work in the office so I am at my desk for majority of the day. I make it a habit to take the steps all of the time instead of the elevator. Also, since sitting in front of a computer for a long period of time is not good for you I make it a habit that after 1 hour I get up and walk around both floors (making sure that I am taking the steps) and then come back to my desk and continue to work. I find that this helps me not get so stiff at work and my eyes do not bother me either.

Also, I try to make it a habit that I do not park close to the building, that I park further away as well.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My job is about 25% at a computer, 75% on a production floor. Some days, I'm lifting/moving/packing heavy stuff all day. It might be boats, airplanes, surfboards, who knows?! So I do get in a little "exercise" from time to time. But I don't log it unless it's something strenuous, heartrate-raising, sweat-inducing, and prolonged (at least 2 hrs).
  • afalls11
    afalls11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I get a 1 hour lunch.. I used to walk about 45 minutes outside. But since it has been over 90 degrees lately I have been going down the street to Anytime Fitness to get my workout in now. I usually do 20 minutes of running or ellipical. I feel great in the afternoon.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cleaning, walking back and forth through the hospital, and lifting and wrestling dogs all day. Even when I work at the desk, I'm often up and down to write messages for the doctors, or to get or put back files. At my second job, which is entirely at a desk, I try to go out and walk around the parking lot a few times a day.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My office has a small workout room on site w/ a treadmill, bike, and elliptical (my preference), plus balance balls, medicine balls, and free weights. There's also a big TV w/ a Wii Fit and DVD player if you want to do a DVD. I have been using the elliptical on my 30 minute lunch breaks.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but I get to work out for 2 hours a day during lunch. I eat at my desk later on.
  • traciredjo
    traciredjo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a bartender so I am on my feet movng constantly. I do work in a two story building, my bar is on the 2nd floor with the kitchen on the first floor. I manage to run up and down those steps atleast 30 times a day. :)
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Desk job. I sit on a stability ball for 8~ hours and during my 30min lunch I take a nice walk to stretch my legs.
  • Petefry1
    Petefry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work in quite a fit office. Most people start and finish beyond core hours so taking a little longer at lunch to exercise isn't a problem. I try to get out for a 40 min run 2 to 3 times a week. Usually a few of us go. We're training for the City to Surf (14ks) in 5 weeks and Tough Mudder (12miles) in September.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I bring my push up stands in my office .....when I am slow I start doing some reps...

Poeple in my office think I am crazy.......of course they are all out if shape...eating fast food
  • sixfootaliw
    Options
    I work in the London office a couple of times a week which means a 6am start. So on my non-London days I also get up at 6am and use my extra hour in the gym. It's close to the office so handy for a workout and shower before getting breakfast in the office kitchen. The 6am start has become a nice routine now!

I also go for a half hour walk at the local park at lunch if it is dry weather (not often then in UK!). I always take the stairs and I have no choice but to walk between the car and the office.

All together it adds up to a pretty active week!
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Run and do body weight exercises during lunch break. :)
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I work in an office but I try to get up and move a lot. Go to the printer. Go to the bathroom. Go to get water. And on my hour lunchbreaks I go home and play WiiFit!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I always walk on all breaks (about 45 minutes), and do push ups outside (once I'm out of sight of the office). maybe once or twice a month I'll bicycle to work, about 10K of country roads, it's very nice in the morning