Menopause and calories

Options
Ok, help! I am in my 30s and post menopausal and unable to take hormones. My hysterectomy was about 5 years ago. This year, my metabolism has screeched to a halt and I have gained this year and cannot lose it. I tried increasing my calories and gained. I have read that women need 200-400 less calories daily but that doesn't seem like much food. Anyone out there have any insight on this issue?

Replies

• lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It definately is a challenge. Weights help me. But its hard. I gain when i increase my calories.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I ran into this, too. I changed my macros around last week to 35% carbs/ 35% protein / 30% fat and it seems to have helped quite a bit. Ultimately, I needed fewer carbs and more protein. That being said, I exercise quite a bit, too, which might factor into it.

You're just going to have to mess around with the numbers until you find something that works for you. I always try to eat my net calories (1400 for me, since I'm relatively active), so I do eat my exercise calories. I'm losing - slowly, but still losing. At the very least, I would strongly encourage you to make sure you eat no less than 1200 calories every day. It's a rare person who needs less than that just to get by.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It definitely is harder!

Here's a group you should check out. Everyone's dealing with the same issues. Very supportive folks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for helping me find the menopause group!