We need "rep points" on this site..

Options
Half the time it's like the blind leading the blind--the other half of the time it's the blind stomping on their best friend'a glasses so they don't have to be blind alone ((misery loves company right?))

At least "rep points" would help reduce the dissemination of misinformation or allow the blind to have better insight into whose advice to heed.

I get so upset about people condoning underweight goals or starvation because "everyone's different"--well starvation is BAD for anyone--just sayin.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Reputation systems are easily abused. I've seen it elsewhere. You'll end up with a counter group of "misinformers" who will rep up each other and rep down good information. My opinion.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Reputation systems are easily abused. I've seen it elsewhere. You'll end up with a counter group of "misinformers" who will rep up each other and rep down good information. My opinion.

Gahhhhh--what's the solution?
  • brianchi
    brianchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like the idea, but yeah it would be abused. Unfortunately, most people only listen to information in which they already believe. Therefore they would give "rep points" to statements which cater only to their beliefs.

Just keep doing what you are doing. You always give good advice and unfortunately you can not reach everyone. Just try to focus your energy on those who are willing to listen, learn, and make the necessary changes.

As educators / teachers / coaches we tend to put so much energy and effort to get the few that are unwilling to jump on board, when we have a group ready to learn and listen. I am just as guilty as anyone at this as it makes the most sense to educate those that are most in need.

I do know that people may not follow your advice - but they are listening and hearing what you have to say. Someday when they are ready to make the changes, the messages you have put out there will replay in their head. So do not get down on yourself and you may never know the impact you will have on others. Keep doing what you are doing and preaching what you are preaching.

You are helping out many people out there, don't worry about the ones that make excuses.
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    you will just demote guys who eat salads so whats the point

It is a popularity contest on here.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you will just demote guys who eat salads so whats the point

It is a popularity contest on here.

Clever but far from the truth ---I can and do acknowledge intellect and logic.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Half the time it's like the blind leading the blind--the other half of the time it's the blind stomping on their best friend'a glasses so they don't have to be blind alone ((misery loves company right?))

At least "rep points" would help reduce the dissemination of misinformation or allow the blind to have better insight into whose advice to heed.

I get so upset about people condoning underweight goals or starvation because "everyone's different"--well starvation is BAD for anyone--just sayin.

rep systems are beyond stupid. Go to bodybuilding.com. The dumbest posters have retarded high rep...because they have no lives at all. Hell, people buy and sell rep there.

A comment should be judged on its own merit, not the poster's e-status (which was obtained via post whoring and trades)

edit: the problem with mfp is that most people here are fitness amateurs. That's just the way it is. If people really want scientific methodology, this is certainly not the place. There exist plenty of forums with real professionals in the fitness field. Those forums lack rep systems, but the best posters easily stand out - because their posts contain intelligent discussion, science, and EXPERIENCE.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Gahhhhh--what's the solution?

Um, double check any advice w/ others and google...