I don't want to speak too soon, but...

Options
I love being a vegan! I shall tell you why. :happy:

I switched to veganism at the beginning of the summer thinking it would just be a summer experiment for my health. After I switched I started doing even more research and realized that I could be helping preent future diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer. I guess I won't know how true all that is until later on, but I feel like if all that is true...it's worth it. :glasses:

Now here are the things I have actually noted physically/mentally about the vegan lifestyle (granted, some of these things may only be coincidental, but I am just making observations):

1. More energy. No question about that.
2. I just feel "cleaner" or even "lighter" for lack of a better description. Not that I thought I felt "dirty" or "heavy" before, but I cant explain how much better my body seems to be functioning while I eat this way.
3. I am learning to love foods I used to hate or had never even tried.
4. No headaches.
5. Haven't been sick. *knock on wood*
6. Here is the BIG one to me: my joint pain seems to have decreased significantly. I am able to run longer and harder without experiencing the pain I once felt. I could cry just talking about it. So excited.

Has anyone else tried eating vegan? What were your results?

If you want to know more about what I am eating and why, message or friend me or both!!!

Have a beautiful week.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I know this is not exactly the same but my son (almost 7) and I just went off dairy this week. He has a bunch of allergies and diagnosed with asthma so I'm trying to eliminate dairy in hopes it will help and doing it with him so he doesn't feel bad. I'm finding that it might actually be a really great thing for both of us and have found some of the same things you mentioned. I am definitely finding recipes/foods that I wouldn't have tried before and am liking a lot of it! I think I am still getting over not having dairy but I am feeling really good about this choice.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I would really like to find out more information about what your doing! Thank you very much Robby
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I feel the same way about lower carb eating. It gives me more energy, makes me feel less bloated, and encourages me to try new dishes that I wouldn't even consider. I am glad you have found something that makes you feel better!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Me too! It hasn't been too long for me, going on 2 months, but I really like it. I 100% understand what you mean about feeling "lighter". I went on holidays last month and didn't eat vegan (just vegetarian) and I felt awful, but there was no other choice. I live in one of the most vegan/vegetarian un-friendly places for eating out I think.

My face has cleared up, I am no longer bloated or gassy, I have more energy and the dizziness my doc has been trying ot figure out for years went away.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    how do you keep yourself nutritionally balanced?

don't want to attack you but i have many vegan friends and many of them are lacking important nutrients.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

don't want to attack you but i have many vegan friends and many of them are lacking important nutrients.

How does the average American meet daily nutritional requirements? Most of them likely aren't, given the typical diet. Most of them would have no idea what a macro or micronutrient is. How do you know your vegan friends are lacking important nutrients? How do you know you're not? Point being - you can't assume that just because someone is vegan they aren't getting appropriate nutrition and that just because someone is omnivore they are.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I admire your discipline. I ate vegetarian and 30% raw for about five years. Unfortunately boredom set in and I slowly started adding more junk food and eventually meat back into my diet. I eat low carb now and while not totally clean, a whole heck of a lot more than I had the last few years.

Vegan is so much more restrictive. Definitely join a support group with a recipe exchange.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    bump <3
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I eat tons of fruits and vegetables (obviously lol), whole grains, nuts, and lots of beans. I also drink almond milk on my morning cereal.

You can get enough protein from whole grains, dark leafy greens like spinach, and beans. Easily.

You can get enough calcium from dark leafy greens like spinach, and almond milk.

You can get enough healthy fats from avocados, nuts, and olive oil.

You get enough of every vitamin ever by eating all those fruits and veggies. You also get more fiber than most people.

Yiu get plenty of carbs from fruit and grains.

I take a multi vitamin for B12 because we have ruined our soil with our pesticide use.

I 100% believe my diet is MORE balanced now than it was when I was eating meat and dairy.

If I missed a nutrient yiu were particularly worried about, just ask me and I will tell you how I get it.

Thanks for your concern.

:flowerforyou:

Stacy
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

How does the average American meet daily nutritional requirements? Most of them likely aren't, given the typical diet. Most of them would have no idea what a macro or micronutrient is. How do you know your vegan friends are lacking important nutrients? How do you know you're not? Point being - you can't assume that just because someone is vegan they aren't getting appropriate nutrition and that just because someone is omnivore they are.

This. Don't assume just because someone is vegan that they are unhealthy or missing nutrients. Some are for sure, but so are tons of meat eaters and vegetarians. It all comes down to how much work someone is willing to put into what they are doing to make sure they get everything they need from their diet.

There is no way that I am any unhealthier then my SIL who lives off of fast food, sugary kids cereal, pop, candy and pizza. No way in the world. But because shes eats meat/dairy, no one worries about how she eats.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I was near vegan for about a year a long time ago. I didn't lose weight and didn't notice any of the benefits that you have experienced. I didn't feel worse either, though! I did enjoy my food, ate well, and got more inventive with my cooking.

It turned out to be a pretty antisocial way of eating, though. If you like eating with non-vegan friends and family, it doesn't work very well. It's not fair to expect people to cook vegan food for you. I didn't expect them to, but then they feel bad if they make you something you wouldn't normally have. I also found that people (vegetarians, mainly, funnily enough!) could be quite critical about my food choices. I didn't enjoy having my eating scrutinised in that way. Eventually, I went back to being omnivorous, and again, I don't remember noticing any health changes.

It's great that you've found something that works for you!
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian for Lent this year, and I loved it way more than I thought I would. It was hard to smell meat without salivating for the whole duration, but it was worth it! I really dove into research mode to make sure i was getting everything I needed. I also toyed around with the idea of going full vegan, but I never got around to it. Aside from the fact that I got a bit gassy from all the beans, I felt great! I lost a bunch of weight, and had a ton of energy! My wife isn't too keen on doing it with me next year, but I'm seriously considering doing it again; maybe I'll even commit to vegan eating!

Although I did feel a bit alienated, because I got a lot of the "is it okay if I...?" questions and even some of that smug "top of the food chain" attitude from my friends and family. I like the idea of getting involved with a group where one can share recipes and lifestyle stuff.