to eat before or after exercise HELP

Options
i' starting to go for a walk in the mornings before work and i dont know if i should eat breakfast before or after im done. Anyone?

Replies

• nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    I usually eat after my workout and not before due to INSANITY. If I ate before, I am sure I would get sick! I usually refuel after.
  • simplyme99
    simplyme99 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I've been up for a while - like an hour or more - I will eat a piece of fruit before just to break the fast. Otherwise, I eat after I exercise.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    For morning cardio I would do it fasted.
    You burn NO fat while glycogen is in the system.
    So go on an empty stomach and when you get back, eat.
  • FlutterShy13
    Options
    It's actually healthy to eat lots of carbs an hour before a workout! This gives you lots of energy and if you're worried about gaining because of the carbs, no need to fret because it's going to all come off duting that work out.

After the workout, eat something protein based. Protein helps rebuld any muscles torn (which is absolutly normal to happen during a workout). Eating protein post-workout also reduces muscle soreness in the morning!

So, an hour a workout? Bulk up on some delicious carbs and post, protein :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I exercise very early, so it is actually not time to eat yet. I think there is actually some benefit in doing it this way, like it's a nice way to get more fat burn. I find it easy and comfortable to do. Also, I note it is super important for me to get to bed on time (early) the night before, or else this whole dynamic doesn't work well for me....I really don't want to get up after a late night.

Another option is to drink a small cup of black coffee before you go...also supposed to boost your calorie burn. I have enjoyed doing that.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You have decreased lipolysis when you do cardio while fed.
    If you truly want to burn fat while you walk you would want to do it fasted.
    Otherwise just skip 200 calories from your daily intake and sleep in.

If you decide to do cardio while fasted youll take advantage of actual FAT burn.
    Thats where you oxidize and mobilize fat from the cells to be used as fuel.
    If you go into it fed youll be using glycogen from the liver as fuel and fat isnt touched.
    Youll just lose fat through having a deficit.
    At that point...skip cardio and sleep in.
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options

If you decide to do cardio while fasted youll take advantage of actual FAT burn.
    If you go into it fed you'll be using glycogen from the liver as fuel and fat isnt touched.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

- What if you were starting the day with lifting weights? Would have a bit of carb or protein before the workout?
    - When you say cardio, do you include HIIT training too?

Thanks!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong here, do what makes you feel good and fits in with your calories and your routine.
    I usually do both!
    I have a coffee and some fruit with my husband before he goes to work, then I go for a run and have porridge or an omelette when i come home.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Both. I have toast go on my morning walk. then eat breakfast afterward.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

If you go into it fed you'll be using glycogen from the liver as fuel and fat isnt touched.

- What if you were starting the day with lifting weights? Would have a bit of carb or protein before the workout?

Thanks!

There are studies being done on fasted training.
    Best 3 resources for that would be:

Www.leangains.com
    Http://rippedbody.jp
    Www.bodyrecomposition.com

I lift fasted.
    I lift heavy.
    I kill carbs the same day.
    Diary is preset for today's lifting if you want to have a look.
    =D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i work out better fasted. i have no idea if it's better for weight loss or fat burn, but i personally feel better if i workout on as empty a stomach as possible. i can take water, but not food

but after a workout, it's ON!!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    it depends on what works for you.

I don't eat before a workout because otherwise I'll be sick. But if I were just walking I'd eat before.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Whichever you want.

I generally will eat some oatmeal about an hour before I go running, and then have a snack when I get back. If I need to get out the door ASAP, I might just have some toast and then eat breakfast when I get back. I don't like working out on a full stomach though, which is why I either give my food time to settle or just eat something light. For walking, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other though, so I say which every you prefer.
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Thanks!

There are studies being done on fasted training.
    Best 3 resources for that would be:

Www.leangains.com
    Http://rippedbody.jp
    Www.bodyrecomposition.com

I lift fasted.
    I lift heavy.
    I kill carbs the same day.
    Diary is preset for today's lifting if you want to have a look.
    =D

Thanks very much - I'll have a look!