Spicing up Oatmeal

Options
So I have decided to get some instance oates for oatmel. I added water, slenda, and a banana. I have never really tried anything else in the oatmeal. Any ideas so I dont get bored?

Replies

• poeticjustice_2001
    Options
    raisins and cinnamon (which also helps regulate blood sugar!)

I actually grew up eating oatmeal with butter and salt (now that I eat healthier, I skip the salt.. maybe Molly mcbutter?)

good luck!
    286730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    make cookies! Not really...I just have to choke oatmeal down, don't like the texture or look, so I usually avoid it by eating something else, like heart to heart or autumn wheat cereal.

You can add any kind of fruit, milk, nuts. Think of things you might like to eat with your yogurt and try it in the oatmeal.
  • shannahrenee
    Options
    I add brown sugar and milk to mine. mmm!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    my favorite is sunflower seeds, craisins, and splenda (or honey)! Enjoy! oatmeal is one of the most filling foods i've found, and a serving only has 150 cals.
  • 135pounds
    Options
    I like to add protein powder, dried cranberries, and chopped almonds to mine. It's guaranteed to keep you full until lunch. It's an excellent way to get protein with the almonds even if you don't add the protein powder. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    make cookies! Not really...I just have to choke oatmeal down, don't like the texture or look, so I usually avoid it by eating something else, like heart to heart or autumn wheat cereal.

You can add any kind of fruit, milk, nuts. Think of things you might like to eat with your yogurt and try it in the oatmeal.

Yumm I nuts and fruit sound delish!
  • sltaylor
    Options
    i put 1 tablespoon brown sugar and a half a cup of blueberries
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I know brown sugar tastes better. I stay away from adding extra sugar.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I like to add a tsp of peanut butter and a tsp of Blackstrap Molasses (heathy sweatner with a bunch of Iron).
  • RunLillian
    RunLillian Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I add enough chocolate protein powder to cover the top and then mix it in. Then I top it off with a sprinkle of pecans. I love it and have lost about 13lbs since! (a guy I worked with lost 8)
  • Younger_at_50
    Younger_at_50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, the combinations are endless .. I start with a mix of 1/4 c. of quick oats, 1/4 c. of Bob's Red Mill 5 grain oats with flaxseed (thicker cut of oatmeal) and then 1 T. of flaxseed meal. Next is to choose what I want to cook it in -- 1 c. milk or water, if I choose water then I add a 6 oz. container of my favorite light yogurt and last, but not least, what fruit and extras (i.e. cinnamon, apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, molasses, honey, peanut butter, nuts, etc.). Most of the time I cook the fruit in with the oats, adding extras afterward. Here are just a few examples of my combinations:

oats cooked in water, light banana or pineapple yogurt, fresh banana and canned pineapple (sometimes I add a little coconut as well)
    oats cooked in milk, fresh chopped pear, 1t. - 1 T. molasses
    oats cooked in water, light apple turnover yogurt, fresh chopped apple, cinnamon and/or apple pie spice (sometimes I add raisins as well)
    oats cooked in water, light vanilla yogurt, 1/4. c. canned pumpkin, 1/2 t. vanilla, 1/8 t. pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon to taste, 1-2 T. raisins
    oats cooked in water, light yogurt flavor that compliments the 3/4 c. of any type of fresh or frozen berries (i.e. mixed berry yogurt with blueberries, strawberry yogurt with strawberries, raspberry yogurt with cooked cranberries)

Have a great time being creative!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I'm actually eating oatmeal as I type this :) I put 1/2 tbsp of Smart Butter Light, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 strawberries, and some cinnamon on top of 3/4 cup oatmeal, mixed it all up... and yummy :)

This all together is about 350 cals, but it keeps me full for hours and takes uber good!
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    I add in frozen berries - blackberries, raspberries or cut up peaches, or a few spoonfuls of canned plain pumpkin. after microwaving, I sprinkle with some splenda and cinnamon. SO good!
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    oooooooooo yum!
    i mix fresh cranberries in before microwaving
    then top it with cinnamon and nugmeg, maybe a little cool whip free

its like thankgiving everymorning!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I dont eat oat much now that I have my apartment, but I ate it alot in undergrad. It was a great meal when I lived in the dorms and sorority housing. I also had (from Sams!) the 4oz no sugar added dole fruit cups. I would empty the cup into the oatmeal then add as much more water as I needed to have the right amount of moisture. It was always really tasty.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    I liked makin my oatmeal multigrain, adding some amaranth and quinoa to it. I also liked throwing in unsalted pumpkin seeds, some shredded coconut, dried cherries and some pecans. Oatmeal is great becuase it's so simple, but you can do so much with it!
  • sarahmeaghan
    Options
    Try steel cut oats instead of instant oatmeal. They are much better for you! I add a 1/4 cup of skim milk and a cup of blueberries to mine every morning. I eat my breakfast at 8am and it keeps me going until lunch at noon!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Wow all these suggestions are great!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats instead of instant oatmeal. They are much better for you! I add a 1/4 cup of skim milk and a cup of blueberries to mine every morning. I eat my breakfast at 8am and it keeps me going until lunch at noon!

Now I like both types of oatmeal (steel cut & rolled), but they're essentially the same nutritionally. :smile:

1/4 cup dry steel cut oats = 1/2 cup dry quick oats
    1/4 cup steel cut:
    Calories 150 Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 27 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 5 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 10%

1/2 cup quick:
    Calories 150 Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 27 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Monounsaturated 1 g Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 5 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 10%

The only difference I see is the 1g of monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fat and the 1g of sugar in the quick oats. And that's just for those 2 brands. Nutrition information definitely varies based on the brand of oatmeal. I've seen several brands of steel cut oats with as much or more monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fat and sugar as the quick oats I listed above.
    While minimal processing may be appealing, in the case of nutrition, I don't think you can call steel cut oats "much better" than quick oats.
    :wink:

To the OP:
    Sometimes when I'm craving chocolate, I add a tablespoon of semi-sweet chocolate chips to oatmeal. Bowl of chocolatey goodness for 220 calories. I also love to add pumpkin & sprinkle with cinnamon like suggested above. And, of course, any kind of fruit you can imagine.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I pour a single-size lowfat yogurt on top. One of those skim-milk, 35 calorie varieties. It's quick and easy. :)