Discouaged with COPD exercise!

Options
Im 35 and obese. I weighed 230 pounds when i started 2 weeks ago and ive lost 7.4 pounds so far but exercise is a really big problem!

I have COPD and breathing is hard work in itself. I use my elliptical, but I cant go far on it. I have done 12 minutes, but not without several uses from my inhaler. (i am not on oxygen. I use 3 inhalers a day and a nebulizer treatment - as needed, but daily)

The 7 pounds i lost, was in my first week, and i wasnt exercising but a few days a week then (the elliptical) and i really dont see how those few minutes really make a difference? I believe that I didnt lose weight my second week (but i didnt gain either!) because we were out of power for 6 days, due to storms here so i had to eat what i could!

I know that my weight makes it harder to breathe also, so I guess my question is...

Should I keep exercising and suffer with the breathing? Or should i lose more weight, hoping that my breathing gets a little easier as i do?

Help!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your Dr. has cleared you for exercise I think that you should do what exercise you can and increase it as you lose weight and your fitness improves. The benefits to your health of the exercise are far more than just the calories you burn.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your Dr. has cleared you for exercise I think that you should do what exercise you can and increase it as you lose weight and your fitness improves. The benefits to your health of the exercise are far more than just the calories you burn.

This...

Make sure you're eating healthy food at a calorie deficit and move as much as you can.

You're gonna rock it, just keep it up!
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It will get easier the more you do it! Just do what you can, safely & within your own limits & build it up very slowly. You will be amazed how much stronger your lungs become. Well done! x
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I managed 15 minutes on the elliptical!! Had to use my inhaler 4 times, but i did it!! =D thanks for the kind words! I appreciate the encouragement and it meant alot to me! =)
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    Try the 10 Minute Solutions Video series. I started out with these. They are not abrasive but they do work and there is something for everyone and every level. There are a few on youtube. Check em out.:smile:
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you gone over what exercises would work best with your COPD with your doctor? That maybe a good starting point. My mom is an asthmatic (not the same I know) and found that taking an inhaler about 5-10 minutes before she started worked wonders. She is doing C25K with me and her breathing has really improved and now she can do 25 minutes continuous jogging with just using her inhaler beforehand. Starting small and working your way is the way to go. :)
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

This exactly. Plus the more you do the exercise the easier you will find it as you become stronger. Don't push yourself too hard but push yourself a little not to give up. A little and often is great. 12 minutes is better than no minutes, just do what you can. You will find that you will feel fitter and want to go for 13 mins then 14mins etc.

Ensure you are eating enough healthy, nutritious food and drink plenty of water. Don't worry if you stall losing weight at first as your body will be adjusting.

Good luck and don't get downhearted. A little bit of stubbornness goes a long way!
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You're doing great taking this step. Remember the benefits of exercise are cumulative so if you can only handle 10 minutes or so then just do ten minutes at a time until you reach your daily goal. There's a saying that fat loss is 80% diet so keeping the calories under control will go a long way. Keep it up, you're doing great!

My advice would be to keep the eating on point and get the type of exercises you can do cleared by your doctor.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try pilates or yoga as a starting point. They teach you how to use your breathing and may be able to help you use your breathing more effectively when you do different types of exercise. It's also really good exercise in itself. I love it, it relaxes me and makes me listen to my body more and just be more aware of how I'm breathing.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I would def keep exercising. If twelve minutes is hard, stop at ten.
    Exercising tones your muscles and keeps your body strong.
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    Options
    As a respiratory therapist...I would say using you inhaler 4 times in 15 minutes is quite excessive. you shouldn't NEED to do this. I would ask your doctor about changing your regimen bc what you are using isn't effective. 2-4 puffs 15 minutes before exercise should be adequate. I would continure exercising but at a lover intensity keeping your heart rate lower. Your inhalers can increase your heart rate drastically....this may be an issue if you are using them to often.

you are very young to have COPD...i do not know your scenario but I would think perhaps your endurance level and weight may play a bigger role in your breathing difficulties. so keep exercising!

but please consult a doctor before starting any diet/exercise regimen!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    perhaps the "Walk at home" dvd series from Leslie Sansone would help. It is a favorite of a lot of people, and it's just walking so it's low impact :)
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that rebounding is really good for people with breathing difficulties, and burns about 11calories per minute...