Whats the best way to store and dispence protein powder ?

Options
I have a cubboard of containers and tubs, opening each one every morning b4 work is a chore,
has anyone any ideas around this.
I did think of buying 14 protein shaker cups and making them up for a week but am not sure I have the cubboard space.

Replies

• BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Have seen this online, but not sure if its in production yet -
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1846757809/easygo-pro
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Why do you open every container and tub before work every morning? I'm confused.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Also, why not just use a Ziploc bag?
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    first question why are you drinking 14 protein shakes a week?.....Second if opening a protein tub lid is work then loosing weight is gonna be harder then you think lol
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

To answer the question, their original container.
  • BazAbroad
    Options
    I train, 6 to 7 times a week,
    Drink at least 2 protein drinks a day, 1 when I get up with creatine, carnitine, leucine, that makes 4 tubs already,
    now,
    after training, or last thing at night thats another 7,
    that's 14 a week,
    Yes I still take protein on rest days,
    Its the time and mess around factor of opening tubs at pre 6 oclock mornings I am trying to organize and save time,
    I need to be up and out the door.

Ziplock bags, I would have to premix all, is an option.
    Losing weight,,, well, yes I am thanks for asking.

The original containers are too big and bulky to get down from the top shelve every morning, have had to repack them,
    I buy more often than not, Protein in bulk 1 Kg zip lock bags from www.bulknutrients.com.au

Whey protein mornings.
    Casein protein evenings
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You could get a whole lot of snack cup air tight containers. I don't see why you couldn't pre-mix the powders without them deteriorating, I think it would only be a problem if you added any liquid.
    Oh, or you could buy one of these things that you use to store baby formula : http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GzJXVZ009f4/Sy7bhHJTsUI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/mGwgrpqpTMA/s320/formula+container.jpg
  • Paxtonite
    Paxtonite Posts: 22
    Options
    make up the ones for the following morning before you go to bed, or whenever you do the 2nd drink of the day???
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    well sounds like you need to read some stuff...because training 6-7 days a week is over training and your not going to gain little to nothing. Plus eating reall food with protein is the exact same as shakes your wasting money...If it makes you feel better i guess go for it but over training is THE most comman thing and it will stop progress every time, 3 days a week of lifting is enough lift heavy and allow your muscles to rebuild on with rest days everyother day and swtich muscle groups
  • BazAbroad
    Options
    Thanks for the links am thinking the baby food dispensers is the way to go.

Over training - yeah, I know that - the training is an addiction and escape if u know what I mean...

I do alternate muscle groups and have cardio days, and alternative training days like swimming and mountain biking,
    its winter here in Oz so it is more gym based.

I just have the need to do something every day - long story short, recovering from an accident that saw me put on 20 kilos and weak down one side for about 18 months.

Training and food addict, not the best combination.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    well sounds like you need to read some stuff...because training 6-7 days a week is over training and your not going to gain little to nothing. Plus eating reall food with protein is the exact same as shakes your wasting money...If it makes you feel better i guess go for it but over training is THE most comman thing and it will stop progress every time, 3 days a week of lifting is enough lift heavy and allow your muscles to rebuild on with rest days everyother day and swtich muscle groups

Just, no.

You cannot say that training 6-7days a week is over training by default, when you have no knowledge of her calorie intake and actual training intensity in those workouts. What if someone lifts heavy 3 times per week and has 3 light cardio and rehab session, are they still over training. What about Olympic lifters who lift 6 times per week, sometime twice a day...are they all over training. What if i do a 5 day split with 2 light cardio days? It's a total blanket statement which takes no account of individual circumstances.

as for your comment on protein shakes being a waste of money, you are ignoring several things

- per gram of protein, whey protein powder is easily, by far, the cheapest source of protein
    - it has a better amino acid profile than almost all whole food proteins
    - better bio availability
    - comes without the carbs/fat associated with other protein sources
    - actually has a good micro nutrient profile despite people just writing it off as a processed food with no vits or minerals.

If you have a high protein intake or take weight lifting seriously, there aren't many reasons NOT to include at least some whey into your diet.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

She isn't the one that needs to read "some stuff". Agree with Hendrix7 on points he made. All valid.

I drink at least one sometimes two whey/casein shakes a day and go to the gym 6 days a week. I have lost over 105 lbs in less than 8 months.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the OP is a guy!!
  • treadingpurple
    Options
    Thanks for the links am thinking the baby food dispensers is the way to go.

Over training - yeah, I know that - the training is an addiction and escape if u know what I mean...

I do alternate muscle groups and have cardio days, and alternative training days like swimming and mountain biking,
    its winter here in Oz so it is more gym based.

I just have the need to do something every day - long story short, recovering from an accident that saw me put on 20 kilos and weak down one side for about 18 months.

Training and food addict, not the best combination.

Munchkin makes a good baby formula dispenser. My sister used this brand of dispenser when she was bottle feeding her daughter, and its virtually leakproof. Also, The First Years makes take and toss storage cups that could be used to put the powder in. These cups have lids to them and come 4 in a pack. I use these to mix medicine before I put it in my feeding tube and they work good. They are also inexpensive.
  • BazAbroad
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys and gals,
    the thread has expanded a little lol,
    Baz
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of the small ziploc plastic containers. Make up six or so at a time. They don't take up much room and are easy to clean and refill without the waste of a plastic bag.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Just, no.

You cannot say that training 6-7days a week is over training by default, when you have no knowledge of her calorie intake and actual training intensity in those workouts. What if someone lifts heavy 3 times per week and has 3 light cardio and rehab session, are they still over training. What about Olympic lifters who lift 6 times per week, sometime twice a day...are they all over training. What if i do a 5 day split with 2 light cardio days? It's a total blanket statement which takes no account of individual circumstances.

as for your comment on protein shakes being a waste of money, you are ignoring several things

- per gram of protein, whey protein powder is easily, by far, the cheapest source of protein
    - it has a better amino acid profile than almost all whole food proteins
    - better bio availability
    - comes without the carbs/fat associated with other protein sources
    - actually has a good micro nutrient profile despite people just writing it off as a processed food with no vits or minerals.

If you have a high protein intake or take weight lifting seriously, there aren't many reasons NOT to include at least some whey into your diet.

Agree 100% with the above.

I too would recommend the baby formula dispensers. I personally use ziploc bags and just fill enough for the week so I can grab and go in the mornings.
  • Jennyjenjen32
    Jennyjenjen32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I train five days a week and sometimes that includes lifting for short amount of time each day. There is NO WAY IN H**L I could get the required protein to build without those shakes. I drink Isopure and in order to get the same amount of protein (without the carbs) in one scoop I would need to eat four whole eggs. Do I eat other sources of protein? I didn't get fat cause I hate food :)