What to eat for a 10 hour hike?

Options
KALMdown
KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
On Wednesday I am hiking Mt Fuji, which is 6-8 hours uphill hiking, 3-4 hours downhill. So, Tuesday is a no workout day and will exceed calorie intake a little.

My question is, what are the best foods I should eat tomorrow (Tuesday) to keep my stamina up for that long a hike? I will be bringing powerbars and jerky and fruit in my pack but want to fuel up the day before.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What a challenge, that's awesome! As it's this close, my only advice is not to try anything different as you can't risk an upset stomach. Before a long race I usually have pasta with protein the night before - spaghetti bolognese is one of my favourites. Then I'll have a double portion of porridge in the morning.

I'd also consider exceeding calories on Tuesday by quite a lot, not just a little, adding extra complex carbs (bread, rice, potatoes etc.) to each meal and snack. That saves indigestion by having one extra big meal in the evening.

Good luck, and do come back to let us know how you get on! :flowerforyou:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    pasta, with more pasta on the side. Did I mention pasta.
  • flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options
    I might get shot down in flames for this, but there is no reason to eat loads the previous day, just eat normally. If your body can't store in glycogen muscle/organ stores it will store as fat, which you will probably have enough of anyway (unless you are very low on body fat). Eat a little more in the morning before the hike and eat regularily (every hour or so) small high fat/carb foods. I climbed three mountains in 24 hours a couple of weeks ago and took nuts, flapjacks, plenty of water with me and isotonic sports drinks between climbs. High protein foods are not that useful as they are more thermogenic so you need more to have more calories, which means more weight to carry. Furthermore, you won't need to rebuild muscles, you will need to keep them fuelled.
  • KALMdown
    Options
    Flapjacks? As in pancakes?

I was already thinking of my oatmeal for breakfast and chicken marinara with pasta for dinner. Probably my usual sandwich for lunch, throw in a few bananas.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm excited but nervous. Hope the weather holds out!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Flapjacks? As in pancakes?
    No, British flapjacks which are a cake made from oats, butter and syrup, yum!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/flapjacks_86993
  • KALMdown
    Options
    Oh, that sounds so yummy. Thanks for the recipe link. Will definitely try it.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like Clif Bars, bananas, dried figs, almonds, and fruit snacks to munch on while hiking. Peanut butter and jelly is my choice for lunch. And I would start the day with hot bowl of oatmeal with raisins.

Hope you have a great hike!

Added
    The above is what I would eat while hiking. The day before? Nothing special except maybe a nice Pasta dinner - I think the carbs are supposed to help for the next days workout.
  • flyuk
    Options
    I'll post an amazing flapjack recipe later, it was the most popular one amongst the ones I made for the team. Honey, banana and chocolate! :)
  • KALMdown
    Options
    I'll post an amazing flapjack recipe later, it was the most popular one amongst the ones I made for the team. Honey, banana and chocolate! :)

Oh, please do. That one sounds amazing!
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I'm an ultra-runner. Don't be fooled by the 'carb-loading' myth, whatever you do. Yes, by all means, have a bowl of pasta - but only a little more than you would normally eat. If you want to 'carb-load', just tuck into a couple of extra portions of vegetables and an extra couple of pieces of fruit. That's it.

Take 40 mins from your day and make some flapjacks ... http://www.putthekettleon.org/2012/05/18/amandas-save-the-day-flapjacks/ Best on-the-go hiking food ever. Stock up on nuts and seeds, too - and avoid jelly babies or anything 'sugar-loaded' - by all means have some on hand for the final 5k or so but not before or you'll crash and burn.

Munch on something or other (small) every hour. Don't over-drink. Do your drinking TODAY - best to be completely hydrated BEFORE you start your hike. By the time you feel thirsty it's too late.

Have a great breakfast on the day (porridge, fruit, etc.) two hours before the start line - then just eat sensibly throughout. No 'stocking up' or panic eating LOL You'll do great and your body will keep going for you. Once you cross that finish line PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN (hopefully before you collapse and sleep after well-earned celebrations!!!!!)

Best of luck. Enjoy every second. Hope this helps,

Amanda
  • flyuk
    Options
    Hiya. I'm an ultra-runner. Don't be fooled by the 'carb-loading' myth, whatever you do. Yes, by all means, have a bowl of pasta - but only a little more than you would normally eat. If you want to 'carb-load', just tuck into a couple of extra portions of vegetables and an extra couple of pieces of fruit. That's it.

Take 40 mins from your day and make some flapjacks ... http://www.putthekettleon.org/2012/05/18/amandas-save-the-day-flapjacks/ Best on-the-go hiking food ever. Stock up on nuts and seeds, too - and avoid jelly babies or anything 'sugar-loaded' - by all means have some on hand for the final 5k or so but not before or you'll crash and burn.

Munch on something or other (small) every hour. Don't over-drink. Do your drinking TODAY - best to be completely hydrated BEFORE you start your hike. By the time you feel thirsty it's too late.

Have a great breakfast on the day (porridge, fruit, etc.) two hours before the start line - then just eat sensibly throughout. No 'stocking up' or panic eating LOL You'll do great and your body will keep going for you. Once you cross that finish line PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN (hopefully before you collapse and sleep after well-earned celebrations!!!!!)

Best of luck. Enjoy every second. Hope this helps,

Amanda

Heh, glad I wasn't shot down for my opinion. You more or less mirrored what I said! :)
  • flyuk
    Options
    Here you go:

http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/94630/chocolate-covered-banana-honey-and-walnut-flapjacks/

I used Milka Swiss chocolate because it was on offer in my local store, you could use any though, avoid cooking chocolate or the value ones as they taste rank. I also used three different type of oats; rolled, normal and oatmeal for different consistency. The walnuts were chopped until they were nearly indistinguishable so the nut haters in the team wouldn't moan. :)
  • heddylamar
    heddylamar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've never done anything special for that short of a hike. I would suggest eating breakfast. And carry multiple small meals -- pb&j (make it on frozen bread and it won't get soggy) or hard cheese, rolls, nuts and fruit. My meat-eating relatives carry hard salami or such (doesn't require refrigeration). And take more water than you think you'll possibly drink.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    On Wednesday I am hiking Mt Fuji, which is 6-8 hours uphill hiking, 3-4 hours downhill. So, Tuesday is a no workout day and will exceed calorie intake a little.

My question is, what are the best foods I should eat tomorrow (Tuesday) to keep my stamina up for that long a hike? I will be bringing powerbars and jerky and fruit in my pack but want to fuel up the day before.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Dried fruit, Tanka bars (if you can find them close to you), traditional jerky, cheese sticks, fresh fruit, home made granola, nuts
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    if you are doing the dehydrated fruit and food thing (yuck imo) don't forget to hydrate them in a ziploc bag with water 1 hour before munching them!

have fun on your hike. I just do almond butter and coconut oil and water. No need to carb load at all if you are feeding your body easy to digest energy on the hike. Remember, the more fiber you eat, the heavier you will become and the more pooping you have to do. That's why high fat foods like cheese or coconut oil, proteins like deli meats are the best on a hike. No gut worries then.

and for tuesday (tomorrow) eat normally. no need to carb load. That is a myth.