Baking Oils

Options
What are the healthier oils to use for baking? I see recipes that call for vegtable oil, is that ok? I use olive oil when I'm cooking but is it too strongly flavoured for baking? Is this a dumb question? Sorry!

Replies

• allisontaylor
    Options
    If what you're baking is sweet - I ALWAYS substitute applesause or baby food fruit for the oil. TRUST ME....it's awesome! Toll house brownies/cookies come out super moist and delicious - same for cakes and muffins! I have NEVER had a bad experience doing this. Because it is sweeter than oil, you can also cut the sugar in half which will save even more calories. Try and pick an all natural/no sugar added applesause and enjoy!
  • Travy_Lite
    Travy_Lite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i try to always use olive oil
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    I try to barely use oil, but if i do, I use olive oil
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just don;t use Olive oil in baking -- it is usually too strong a flavor. I have had it come thru even in a chocolate cake (yuk):sick:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    If you need to grease a pan I would use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, but I agree with the applesauce for oil (sub cup for cup) in anything sweet breads/muffins/cakes.
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If what you're baking is sweet - I ALWAYS substitute applesause or baby food fruit for the oil. TRUST ME....it's awesome! Toll house brownies/cookies come out super moist and delicious - same for cakes and muffins! I have NEVER had a bad experience doing this. Because it is sweeter than oil, you can also cut the sugar in half which will save even more calories. Try and pick an all natural/no sugar added applesause and enjoy!

WOW WOW WOW!! That is an AMAZING idea! I am trying that next time!!
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Agreed on the applesauce or baby food sub-- I just started doing that last month. Tastes the same to me... and less cals. I was always afraid to try it, but I just went for it. ;) My husband even likes it that way-- and he's a picky, picky eater.

And I just use the olive oil cooking spray. I also use Olive Oil (maybe 1 tbsp) when I'm making my pastas.
  • ELM77
    ELM77 Posts: 10
    Options
    I know you said baking, but make sure when you are sauteing and cooking stuff on the stove while using olive oil, to not let the temperature get too high. Olive oil can be very healthy when used properly. If it starts to smoke, then the molecular shape is changing and turns very unhealthy. A healthy fat will turn into trans fat.
    And all the other responses about not using oil at all when baking sounds like a great idea! Apple sauce would lower the calories by a ton! Literally.

Hope this info was useful :)
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Does the same principle work for butter? I hate margarine so the only time I use butter is when I bake. I don't plan on eating a lot of what I bake but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    The consistency of butter is very different from applesauce so I would say no. Applesauce and oil (and eggs btw) are more similiar so they're more interchangable in recipes. You can sub coconut oil for butter because it's solid at room temp.