Question for LADIES :)

Options
So - all day - REDICULAS bad cramps.
I couldn't work-out nearly as much as I wanted to.
Slept a lot, and stayed in pain, all day long.

What do you do when this happens?

Replies

• MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bumping because I'm about to go through this for the first time since I started working out next week.

>.>

<.<
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I let my body rest and I try not to push it. My first few days are ultra-heavy and painful. I focus on my calorie intake, since I won't be burning as much with exercise, and then I get back on track after day 2 or 3.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Although the beginning of the workout might suck... I never feel like doing anything during the week of torture... BUT:
    Exercise relieves cramps because it helps release beta-endorphins, which are internal opioids -- your own “human morphine,” “It produces analgesia and helps to burn the prostaglandins -- chemicals released during menstruation that cause muscle contractions --much faster.”
    The best form of exercise for relieving menstrual pain is aerobic exercise -- brisk walking, biking, or swimming.
    I always feel SO much better (and less crampy) after I complete a good workout. Although I do tend to choose lower-impact activities, like brisk walking instead of kickboxing, when the cramps are the worst.
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    Sleep. Hot shower. Brownie.
    Then I get right back on track in a day or two.
  • loubeth22
    loubeth22 Posts: 72
    Options
    I take painkillers and sleep if I can. I tend to avoid food when I'm in that much pain but I hardly think having a treat when you feel that bad is going to ruin your weight loss.

BTW - I've had 3 periods in the last 2 months. First was awful and 6 days long, cramping all the way. Second was light but 8 days long and I ignored it. Third is current and alternates between god awful moods and cramps. Either I'm crying or wanting to break something. Hopefully once I've managed to convince my body to let go of those kilos it'll settle down
  • swingingmonkey
    swingingmonkey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sleep. Hot shower. Brownie.
    Then I get right back on track in a day or two.

and some advil too
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sleeping, painkillers, and laying on a hotpad immediately become top on my priority list. I will allow my body to rest and take it easy for the first day.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Although the beginning of the workout might suck... I never feel like doing anything during the week of torture... BUT:
    Exercise relieves cramps because it helps release beta-endorphins, which are internal opioids -- your own “human morphine,” “It produces analgesia and helps to burn the prostaglandins -- chemicals released during menstruation that cause muscle contractions --much faster.”
    The best form of exercise for relieving menstrual pain is aerobic exercise -- brisk walking, biking, or swimming.
    I always feel SO much better (and less crampy) after I complete a good workout. Although I do tend to choose lower-impact activities, like brisk walking instead of kickboxing, when the cramps are the worst.

I agree with this. I went through it this week. Cramping baad i almost cried BUT once i started working out i felt better. I was able to do insanity without pain, well altreat not menstral pain. Afterward i felt accomplished relieved and happy that i had pushed myself to do it.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Motrin a couple hours to baby it, but then I'm up and going. I have two kids to take care of. One is a very rowdy rambunctious boy. So regardless I have to be up and about. While I may not necessarily do something that involves a lot of jumping/running. I still work out and find I actually feel better after.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to play it by ear.

I have Endometriosis, which results in the most wicked bad days...and there were days where I just couldn't work out. I needed to just curl up with a heating pad, narcotic pain meds and just sleep. Other days, even though I was in pain, I would at least go walk...because I DID feel better after doing something.

(I say 'were' because I'm currently undergoing a treatment for the Endo that involves shots that have made my TOM disappear, but now I deal with forgetfulness and hot flashes!)

Listen to your body...backing off for a day or two is not going to throw you off track unless you eat nothing but chocolate and drink wine! On those days, just make sure to control your eating, try to avoid a lot of sodium and drink a ton of water.

Good luck!
  • sjanssen15
    Options
    I always do a nice hour or so of yoga. It REALLY helps my cramps. Take it easy at first, but it feels great!
  • liveforthemomenttt
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that really helps my cramps is swimming. You should try it!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body...backing off for a day or two is not going to throw you off track unless you eat nothing but chocolate and drink wine! On those days, just make sure to control your eating, try to avoid a lot of sodium and drink a ton of water.

Good luck!

But what if I limit myself to 1500 calories' worth of chocolate and wine? What then? 17 squares of Dove dark chocolate and seven glasses of Barefoot sweet red wine is still under my calorie limit for the day! Lol. (Also, I'm definitely going to write that info down somewhere and keep it handy next time my uterus rears its ugly head and demands a cocoa- and/or grape-based sacrifice.)

I'm on the Pill, so my periods aren't as bad as they used to be, but usually I get my exercise by walking because I don't want to do anything higher-impact than that. If I liked tampons more, I'd swim, because swimming is so much fun it doesn't even feel like exercise. I'm just not a huge fan of sticking a wad of cotton up in thar and I don't want to deal with it leaking in a public pool (I don't have one of my own).
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Good luck!

But what if I limit myself to 1500 calories' worth of chocolate and wine? What then? 17 squares of Dove dark chocolate and seven glasses of Barefoot sweet red wine is still under my calorie limit for the day! Lol. (Also, I'm definitely going to write that info down somewhere and keep it handy next time my uterus rears its ugly head and demands a cocoa- and/or grape-based sacrifice.)

I'm on the Pill, so my periods aren't as bad as they used to be, but usually I get my exercise by walking because I don't want to do anything higher-impact than that. If I liked tampons more, I'd swim, because swimming is so much fun it doesn't even feel like exercise. I'm just not a huge fan of sticking a wad of cotton up in thar and I don't want to deal with it leaking in a public pool (I don't have one of my own).

Hahaha...if I had 7 glasses of wine I'm pretty sure I'd lose track of counting out 17 squares of chocolate...and I think I'd still be hungry, but if it works for you...get it!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Do whatever I can to make it through the pain (ibuprofen and sleep, mostly) and keep my calories under control. Plus LOTS of water.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I find exercise helps my cramps, if I really push myself I find sometimes I can completly get rid of them. Takes a lot to get me motivated, and it prob wont work forveryone. My friend didn't belive me, now she swears by it!

*Edited because I can't spell!*

:flowerforyou:
  • AnotherJenn
    AnotherJenn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Motrin, coffee and push through. I find working out helps a lot, once I finally make the decision to go hard.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Advil, a little rest, LOTS of water.