DIY Work Out Tank

Options
Rachspo
Rachspo Posts: 45 Member
http://pinterest.com/pin/226868899949177729/
http://pinterest.com/pin/253820128969466860/

Has anyone tried making one of these? I can't wear t shirts when I work out b/c I get too hot... I want to turn them into tanks when I get the time.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well I was expecting a tank to be involved.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Well I was expecting a tank to be involved.
    I, too, was disappointed by the lack of tanks.

I have to say, the twisty back of the tank looks kind of thick and uncomfortable.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'd be concerned about the material the tshirt was made of. I find I can't wear them to work out because they just soak up sweat and it stays there, and I think you'd have the same problem with making one of these, albeit with less material involved. I think I'd rather buy an exercise specific tank top with moisture wicking qualities than potentially be uncomfortable.

Also agree, not sure how comfortable the twisty back would be.
  • Rachspo
    Options
    Oh well I actually saw a similar one at the under armour outlet we have here so I figured it might be good to work out in. It will be better than my t shirts just sitting in my closet anyway. Sorry you were disappointed lol.
  • Rachspo
    Options
    Yeh I know what you mean I have like 10 - 15 of those moisture wicking tank tops I run in... they are great.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not disappointed. I'd be interested to hear how you find them, and do like the idea but perhaps more for a social purpose than a practical one.
  • Rachspo
    Options
    That's true... they are calling them work out tanks online, and I've seen pictures of girls wearing in the gym. So that's why I thought they were work out tanks. I definitely wouldn't run in one but maybe yoga or weights or something.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Okay, number one, I am a Pintrest FREAK, so there isn't much on there that I haven't tried. That being said, I have done the DIY tanks, trying out a few different styles. The second link you had, I have not seen, but pretty much looks like the first one, which I did do. I did not like the way the sleeves or the neck was once I was done. It was cute when I put it on, but after an hour in the gym, it was awful. They have you cut SO much of the neckline out, that half of my sports bra was showing. It's kind of bulky in the back, and I kept messing with where the knot should be. It kept moving around, and still being a long way from my goal weight, I was very uncomfortable in it. I don't think I will do that one again. When I found the second tutorial, I kinda modified it a bit to suit what *I* like. I know this is going to sound silly, but I just cut the sleeves off. By doing that, there is just enough material to tuck the edges under the straps of your sports bra. Then I cut just the tiniest slit in the neck. No V shape. No scoop neck. Just a straight line, about 2 inches long. And I LOVED it!!! I have made 4 or 5 of those now. It's the only thing I work out in, and now I can wear all my old favorite T's again -and I'm not spending 15-30 dollars for workout tanks!!!
  • Rachspo
    Options
    That's awesome, if you have some pics I'd love to see.
    Okay, number one, I am a Pintrest FREAK, so there isn't much on there that I haven't tried. That being said, I have done the DIY tanks, trying out a few different styles. The second link you had, I have not seen, but pretty much looks like the first one, which I did do. I did not like the way the sleeves or the neck was once I was done. It was cute when I put it on, but after an hour in the gym, it was awful. They have you cut SO much of the neckline out, that half of my sports bra was showing. It's kind of bulky in the back, and I kept messing with where the knot should be. It kept moving around, and still being a long way from my goal weight, I was very uncomfortable in it. I don't think I will do that one again. When I found the second tutorial, I kinda modified it a bit to suit what *I* like. I know this is going to sound silly, but I just cut the sleeves off. By doing that, there is just enough material to tuck the edges under the straps of your sports bra. Then I cut just the tiniest slit in the neck. No V shape. No scoop neck. Just a straight line, about 2 inches long. And I LOVED it!!! I have made 4 or 5 of those now. It's the only thing I work out in, and now I can wear all my old favorite T's again!!!
  • Rachspo
    Options
    Not disappointed. I'd be interested to hear how you find them, and do like the idea but perhaps more for a social purpose than a practical one.

sorry not you, bathsheba_c said they were for the lack of tanks lol
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken any pictures, but I will tonight and post them on here for you! I really do recommend at least trying it. The first one I did was a T have not worn in years, but just couldn't get rid of (Sororitiy days....). I have a TON of tshirts that I never wear out of my house, and now, I have a whole new workout wardrobe! LOL I really do love them.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Cutting off you T-Shirt sleeves always works for me
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm wearing in my profile pic. Was easy to make and its comfortable. I used one of my old Army PT shirts.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Okay, number one, I am a Pintrest FREAK, so there isn't much on there that I haven't tried. That being said, I have done the DIY tanks, trying out a few different styles. The second link you had, I have not seen, but pretty much looks like the first one, which I did do. I did not like the way the sleeves or the neck was once I was done. It was cute when I put it on, but after an hour in the gym, it was awful. They have you cut SO much of the neckline out, that half of my sports bra was showing. It's kind of bulky in the back, and I kept messing with where the knot should be. It kept moving around, and still being a long way from my goal weight, I was very uncomfortable in it. I don't think I will do that one again. When I found the second tutorial, I kinda modified it a bit to suit what *I* like. I know this is going to sound silly, but I just cut the sleeves off. By doing that, there is just enough material to tuck the edges under the straps of your sports bra. Then I cut just the tiniest slit in the neck. No V shape. No scoop neck. Just a straight line, about 2 inches long. And I LOVED it!!! I have made 4 or 5 of those now. It's the only thing I work out in, and now I can wear all my old favorite T's again -and I'm not spending 15-30 dollars for workout tanks!!!

You should make a tutorial of it and post on Pinterest!
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump. I love it!
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want to look at this more closely later. :)