Running Success (NSV)

Options
I started on MFP in the middle/end of May and at that time I could run a mile at most. Now I am running 3 miles! I am not sure how it happened. I just started running one day and each day I told myself I had to go a little further. My goal was to be able to run 3 miles by the end of August...it's the BEGINNING of JULY! I wear a heart rate monitor and I love to see how much my heart rate has gone down! When I started running my one mile my heart rate would get as high as 200BPM! Now it stays between 170-180BPM for my entire run...I know that is still high...but I am impressed be how much it has gone down. I have tried to start running many times before and this time it just clicked :) I really just wanted to share this with others that may feel like they can't run, because you can!

Replies

• fgaughan
    fgaughan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I still have trouble running,until someone told try the treadmill 1st.
    I am running further each week and will return to outdoors running with the dog. He loves being out but hates me running lol
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how fast the body adapts to small increases with running, isn't it? It stacks up so quickly and suddenly you're running distances and for times you would have laughed at a few weeks / months ago
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That is great news!

fgaughan, check out the couch to 5k traning program. That might help you get there too.

I am recovering from a knee injury and am hoping when I see the doc next week that he tells me I can resume running. In the mean time, he told me I can bike so that is what I am doing. I will hit 100 miles for the week this morning.
  • flanary888
    flanary888 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That is great! I want to start running since its the one exercise I have never really done. And my HR gets up that high too. It always has. It does go down some when I am more fit, but it still stays quite higher than most people. I saw a cardiologist and he said there was nothing wrong with it :)
  • fgaughan
    fgaughan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks @DangerJim71 I will look into couch to 5k training program .
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I just started running too, and love, love, love that I can do it!!! I have been doing HIIT on the treadmill (with speeds varying between 3.5mph and 8mph) and not very long ago I just decided to see how far I could go at a jog. Well, I went 2 miles before I had to stop - and that was just because I had to stop to go somewhere!!! I try not to let my HR get above 165 (per treadmill monitor). I still like HIIT, but I'm trying to incorporate at least one straight run a week in! Keep it up! HIIT increases your running endurance, too, btw.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!