Sudden Weight gain?

Options
I've been maintaining my diet for the past two weeks and didn't go over 1300 calories per day and I lost about 3 lbs but on the weekend I ate substantially and didn't bother about the diet, now suddenly I'm 1 lb heavier! I didn't binge or over eat, i just went a little over the required calories I should be eating daily. It doesn't make sense.

Any idea why this is?

Replies

• chadders73
    chadders73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm feeling the same...I feel as though I've been very good with the food and exercise bit but the scales aren't reflecting this.

I started a different way of eating a few weeks ago (cut out/very much reduced wheat, dairy and eggs) and initially I dropped 4.5kgs but have continued to exercise and eat quite well and my weight doesn't seem to be reducing.

It's about tiime now that I give up (say 3 - 4 weeks into any weightloss regime).....

.....BUT.....I spoke with a friend yesterday (an educated one) and she said that my metabolism with keep changing and advised me to keep up the exercise and good eating and my metabolism with 'kick in' again and it should be reflected on the scales and with my clothes.

To sum up, I say stick in there....as I will be and it feels better if I know you're having a go too! Bye for now, Jo
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's water weight. Sometimes that happens to me if I do a really good job staying hydrated.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's water weight. Sometimes that happens to me if I do a really good job staying hydrated.

This.
    Also you said you didn't bother about the diet. If you were eating salty (high sodium) food then you'll retain water. Don't worry, it'll go away again when you cut your salt intake.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

This.
    Also you said you didn't bother about the diet. If you were eating salty (high sodium) food then you'll retain water. Don't worry, it'll go away again when you cut your salt intake.
    I was going to suggest this, too. Also, if it's been as hot near you as it has by us, your body could be holding onto water so as not to get dehydrated. Finally, you may also just need a few good healthy trips to the bathroom after which things will settle down again to where you were.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    chinese food is good for at LEAST a pound of water retention every time I eat it. Then once I drink plenty of water and wait for the sodium to work through, I lose it again.
  • minihaak
    minihaak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also have a think about where you are in your cycle. I will always gain 1-2lbs in the week before or around that TOM. Drops after 1-2 days. Don't get discouraged by the scale. It is only one tool of measurement.
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    I never weigh myself on Monday! I tend to eat a little more over the weekend and can be up by like 3lbs on Monday, which I know is not a true weight gain. I'm usually pretty good Monday - Friday so my weigh-in day has always been Saturday morning, and then I can have a litte fun over the weekend and things will level back off during the week.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    It's just water from the glycogen replenishment - the opposite of the large loss you get the first week of a diet when you lose a lot of water.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my diet for the past two weeks and didn't go over 1300 calories per day and I lost about 3 lbs but on the weekend I ate substantially and didn't bother about the diet, now suddenly I'm 1 lb heavier! I didn't binge or over eat, i just went a little over the required calories I should be eating daily. It doesn't make sense.

Any idea why this is?
    Probably just bloat from salt or whatever.
    No worries:flowerforyou:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    water weight from sodium.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has posted so far. Weight will fluctuate up and down on a daily basis. If you weigh yourself everyday you will see this happen all the time, the trend is what is important, as long as over time you continue to shed the excess weight, all is good. :wink:
  • littlek735
    littlek735 Posts: 28
    Options
    Your post describes me completely. I was beginning to wonder why the scale will not budge. I am eating the minumum calories, but i am burning off alot as well. It has been extermely hot where I am and the water intake has increased substantially. I am waiting for my body to release all of the excess. It is definately retaining the water right now.