Chocolate Muffins

Options
I found this on pinterest and thought I would share. I made them today and they are moist and wonderful. I did add a step..had to refrigerate the mix before baking to thicken it up. Seemed too thin to bake immediately after mixing. I also cut down on the chocolate chips. I think they would be just as good without them. Happy Baking!

Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Ingredients:

1 3/4 c oats
• 3 egg whites
• 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
•1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
•1 tsp. vanilla extract
•1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
•1/2 tsp cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 Tbsp. vinegar)
•1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
•1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
•1/4 tsp. salt
•1 cup hot water
•1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 cup + 2 tbs stevia
•1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use white chocolate or peanut butter chips!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!
Cool muffins before removing from pan. ENJOY!!!
Servings: 12 Big Muffins or 24 Smaller Muffins
Calories: 116 Calories Per Muffin or 58 Calories Per Muffin

*drooling*

Replies

• BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Looks gluten-free too. Do you have any pictures?
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    I uploaded a pic to my profile. Unsure how to add them here?

ETA.. I also added a few spoonfuls of wheat germ to my next batch. My girlfriend made these but she mixed by hand and they were not as good. Important to blend mix until smooth.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    muffin2.jpg

Crossing my fingers this works..
  • cernunos
    cernunos Posts: 4
    Options
    Instead of the Greek Yogurt I used Kroger's Carbmaster Raspberry Yogurt, (it was what I had on hand). I love raspberry and chocolate together so I figured it couldn't go too wrong. I also substituted 90 percent dark chocolate for the semisweet chips. They came out great. The raspberry worked well with the chocolate. Thanks for the recipe
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump....looks fabulous!
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    This does look amazing, going to have to try it! Are they on the food database on here by any chance?
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    bump
  • bethross1
    bethross1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yumm!
    Thank you for sharing.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lishwish
    lishwish Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kaytyl2
    kaytyl2 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Looks good!
  • chantalm15
    chantalm15 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump love pinterest recipes!
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    Hmm, apparently with the ingredients I just used they have 145 calories... so I don't know how mine have ended up more fattening! Maybe a different kind of cocoa I guess. They look and smell amazing though, just waiting impatiently for them to cool now so I can try them!!
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yummy thanks for sharing - I've got to try these out at the weekend!
  • Jaw_g
    Jaw_g Posts: 46
    Options
    bump
  • knama5
    knama5 Posts: 27
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • hkandiko
    hkandiko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've made these and they are amazing!!!!!

I use 1/2 c evaporate cane juice in lieu of splenda/stevia.

I find I can make 16 muffins from the batch, so that lowers the calories a bit. So yummy and chocolatey.
  • Vitamin_K
    Vitamin_K Posts: 47
    Options
    bump for later.. sounds amazing