I'm new here

Options
Hello everyone! I have been using fitnesspal since January and have lost 40 lbs. I kind of stopped my routine two months ago and have gained back 3 lbs. I'm looking to lose about another 35. My problem is this...I'm getting confused!!! I keep downloading books to my kindle full of recipes and ideas on how to lose fat but I just don't know what is right. For the most part i am reading a high protein,low fat,low carb diet is what works but then I read a high protein diet is bad for you. What works for everyone else?

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Keeping the carbs, protein and fat fairly balanced, such as 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat, or 50, 25, 25. You have to just experiment and find what is workable for you personally.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet full of fresh whole foods and watch portion size. Yes it's that easy.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    For me watching my intake, cutting out soda, increasing protein has helped me feel full longer. Lots of water, reducing processed sugar. I don't eat 'clean' by any means but I am making much healthier choices than I was 6 months ago.

I think the biggest thing was learning portion control & getting up & moving. I am struggling a bit now with an injury & have had to go back to being pretty sedentary which has been mentally tough after making new habits.

It takes time for a lifestyle change & there will be bumps in the road. Everyone is different. Just try some different things & see what works for you. Give each thing about a 4 week trial.

Keep making healthy choices, reasonable portion sizes & keep moving and you will be fine!
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Portion control is difficult for sure! The first 40 lbs I drank a lot of water and I think I balanced well. My husband bought me these GNC vitamins about 3 months ago that are for active women. There are 8 vitamins in there and they are supposed to give you energy. truth be told I feel like I crash midday and I think they are making me hungry. Anyone else take these?
  • BrittaneyHG
    BrittaneyHG Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I went to a protein diet seminar and listened to stories on there weight loss. They all looked wonderful!
    It was called Ideal Protein. Some of the girls I work with went on the diet only with out the protein packets Ideal protein has to offer. They substituted the packets with two hard boiled eggs, Atkins protein shake, protein bars with low sugar, and protein powder mixed with water. One lady lost 10 pounds in a week. The other two ladies were on the diet for a month and lost 20-25 pounds of fat. They look great! One of them even continued drinking alcohol every once in a while.
    I tried it but I think i failed because I jumped right into it and as I read about it, you should give your body a week of cutting back how many calories you consume or you will feel miserable.

And I get really irritable with out carbs.
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have read though that following a high protein diet for too long can be harmful on the liver and Lord knows I have done enough damage to that poor thing already! While we have to look at what we are doing as a life change and not a diet..is it ok to carry on with this amount of protein? I hear you about the carbs. I love my bread!!! But the protein is for sure making me feel fuller