treadmill with or without incline?

Options
Hi,
everywhere it is said that running on a treadmill with a certain incline (3% or more) increases the effort and the benefits on your: calves, butts, quads, hamstrings and core. I'm referring to cardio sessions at a steady pace, around 75% heart rate (not hiit or interval training).

My trainer says that running uphill is totally wrong and that I should do my cardio steady 75% with 0% incline.

Again, I am confused here.
Is there anybody who can shed a light on this?

Cheers

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your trainer has bought into the "fat burning zone" myth if he or she is suggesting 0% incline and 75% max heart rate.

Because a treadmill provides some forward propulsion by way of the moving mat an incline of 3% or so more closely simulates running outdoors (3% is not "uphill" but running uphill -at least as part of your workout - is good for you too) and takes a bit more effort. Similarly getting your heart rate higher (assuming no underlying medical issues) burns more calories and gives the old ticker a better workout.

Did you ask your trainer for the reason for the recommendation? If they can't explain it it's time for a new trainer.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    With.

Check your trainer is qualified.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    An incline of 1-2% is supposed to simulate the effort of running outdoors at the same speed, but if you're doing it at a set heart-rate, you'll have a constant effort sorted anyhow.

For steady runs, I never have an incline to more than 1% on a treadmill because it forces you to lift your toes excessively with each step and have an unnatural foot landing, risking a shin-splints like pain up the front of your foot and shin.

Use a varying incline for a hills session and take the steady runs outdoors if you can.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    An incline of 1-2% is supposed to simulate the effort of running outdoors at the same speed,

This... there is a ton of information out there about needing to have the treadmill at an incline, only slight.

I know when I do treadmill runs, I set it at 2% so when I go outside I have a better base to go off of.
  • KWNurse
    KWNurse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's weird, my trainer said you should at least have am incline of 1 to mimic running outdoors.