To add fruit and veg or not...that's the question!

Options

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You should log them, not only because of the calories (which can add up very quickly) but also to keep an accurate record of what you're eating. I log absolutely everything, including food, exercise, weight, and body measurements as accurately as I can. Why? Because then I can find patterns. I can look at those logs and say, "Why didn't I lose weight this week?" or "When did this start happening?" and I have all sorts of information to work with. If I wasn't logging fruits/vegetables and then weeks later notice some change that may have started then, I would have no memory of what I'd really been eating and would miss out on some useful information. It's hard for me to see the point of logging anything if it's not accurately recording what I'm doing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I log all fruits and vegetables except small amounts used as seasoning (e.g. one serano pepper). I like to see a mix of foods I'm eating as well as the calorie content.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you eat over TDEE then anything consumed will make you gain weight.
    Including fruit and veg.

Log everything.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Bus driver: LOG THAT FRUIT

I try and log everything I eat within reason. Fruit, especially bananas and grapes, are high in calories, so I would log them if I were you.

I eat a lot of watermelon, mandarins, cantaloupe and tangerines, which I do log every single time. 45 calories here, 80 there...they add up. I do the same with veggies.

You are in control of your own tracking. You have the freedom to not track fruits and vegetables, as long as that works for you and your overall plan. If you believe that things aren'y going as originally planned, start tracking F/V's and see if that helps.

Good Luck to you!
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely need to add them. They are not 'free' at all (that's a marketing ploy by big weight loss companies to make sure you don't lose too quickly LOL). Fruit is packed with sugar (allbeit 'good' sugar) ... and remember that losing weight is all about balanced nutrition - eating loads of fruit and veg is simply carbs carbs carbs - precisely what you're trying to avoid :happy:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Add it...and the post about not including the sugar...TOTAL NONSENSE! Sugar is exactly the same inside your body whether it comes from fruit or cupcakes! Fruit just happens to have other health benefits!

That is not true. There is a HUGE difference between natural and processed sugars (mainly, how well your body digests them). Do some research.

Exactly. Your body knows the difference between fruit and a cupcake, absolutely.

I did some research and I stand corrected :) And you know what happened here...I got the sugar info from listening to too many other MFP "experts" on the topic. Asking questions here is great, but always remember it's probably a good idea to do some additional research as well!
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of watermelon

Preach on, bother! I wish I was a watermelon so I can sit around all day and snack on my arm.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I enter everything! Bottom line is calories! I also limit fruit to berries and stay away from potatoes! I believe in a truly low carb diet!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would def count fruits and most veg. I usually don't count salads with just lettuce and tomato or veg I put on a sandwich. But, for example, if I ate an entire tomato I'd count it.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I eat a lot of watermelon

Preach on, bother! I wish I was a watermelon so I can sit around all day and snack on my arm.

Uhhhh yeah...that's just a little strange. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    i add everything to the diary
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Log it.

Either do it all or don't do it, that's just how I see it.

When I start mixing ideas of different eating plans, it gets all jumbled together. These foods have calories. Plain and simple.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I log fruit but I have a tendency to off and on log leafy green veggies like spinach (though I do log the toppings). The reason for me is that I found myself skipping on vegetables to have a little bit more of something else (bread, ice cream etc.). If I treat the dark greens as free, it can help me get over the "yuck veggies" hump.

I do log things like corn because I like it a lot.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Add it...and the post about not including the sugar...TOTAL NONSENSE! Sugar is exactly the same inside your body whether it comes from fruit or cupcakes! Fruit just happens to have other health benefits!
    Wrong... sugar in fruit (naturally occuring sugar) is called Fructose and doesnt leave a blood sugar spike and burns over a few hours. Sugar in sweets - Sucrose - gives you a sharp high sugar burst followed by a sugar slump leaving you feeling down. There's a massive difference.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I log everything - the only things I don't log are diet coke, water and table salt.
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I add every thing, and I hope I could add the air which I breath....
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    I log everything as well. For me, it's a matter of my vitamins. I don't believe in magic pill vitamins, so all of my vitamins/minerals comes from veggies and fruits. Not logging the 4-5 cups of spinach, the orange, the banana, etc. would make my logs look like I'm vitamin deprived. I know they have calories, especially fruits, but I've never seen anyone get fat on fruits and veggies.
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    I add every thing, and I hope I could add the air which I breath....
    lol!!!:wink:
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Always log fruit for sure :)
    I log vegetables because that's mostly what I eat, lol, so it may look like I'm not eating much without vegetables :p
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Definitely log your fruit, I'd say. sometimes I don't, for veggies, because otherwise I feel neurotic adding 3 sticks of celery, haha.