How to make porridge nice?!

Options
Hollyana
Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
Looking at the thread below where people have learnt to like things they once hated, I'm prompted to 'get over' stuff I still haven't managed to eat yet!

I've managed to incorporate eggs and mushrooms in the last few years because they're both so good for you, but I still don't like porridge (oatmeal) even though I know it's a great breakfast - I think it has something to do with the glueyness (and also it made me sick once when I was about 4!)

I love raw oats but they're quite hard to digest in larger quantities, so any tips on making porridge palatable or working my way up to liking the texture?

Replies

• Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a texture thing .... try making it less gloopy (with extra milk or water). I throw a handle of blueberries into mine before I microwave it - adds a 'different' texture - then I sprinkle some pumpkin seeds on top!

Have you tried the fruity Alpen porridge? It's much sweeter than plain oats and works well with extra milk to make it a little more liquidy.

Otherwise, just make a lovely smoothie for yourself with fresh fruit and put those three tablespoons of raw oats into the blender - you get the full effect of the oats (which is all you want) AND a fantastic smoothie without the effort of trying to like something that simply doesn't agree with you!

p.s. Another way of getting those oats in is to make sugar-free flapjacks - perfect. Remember, it's all about getting those oats into your body - doesn't matter how you do it. Don't suffer! You need to enjoy them :)

Hope this helps,
    Amanda x
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I only like the texture of steel cut oats. Trader Joe's has a quick cook variety that takes 8 minutes on the stove. They are not gluey at all. I hate that gluey texture too.

I make mine with a milk base (cow's milk, or goat's milk, or soy milk) instead of water. I think it improves the texture and taste a ton; makes it creamier. I also add nuts like pecans, walnuts, or almonds (even better if I dry toast the nuts first) chopped really fine, and chopped fruit. Not low calorie, but very filling and nutritious -- a good breakfast if I'm going to have a late lunch or have a huge workout planned for late morning.

You can also google recipes for baked oatmeal or "oatmeal brulee" for a real treat (although the latter usually involves some sugar, so not the best if you are needing a low calorie option). Some of the baked oatmeal recipes involve adding an egg. You can add an egg to stovetop oatmeal too. It makes a very rich, hearty texture, and is very filling and satisfying.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    i would strongly reccomend putting half a spoon of honey in as well as making it with milk. I usually chop a banana and put a small handful of raisins in.
    This isn't as many calories as you might think and is very filling!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    You don't !
    End/
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I normally eat steel cut oats uncooked. I just bought two can of oats to have with blueberrys, but made a mistake and they are not flaky, but granular and no good raw. Now I'll have to try some of these ideas.
  • mrsasad
    mrsasad Posts: 4
    Options
    i thinkyou can try 1/2 cu burgul boiled then mix with your favourt nuts and milk .it have not more than 150 calories
  • Hollyana
    Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks people, I might have to give the steel cut oats a try!