Running is enjoyable?

Options
benich3043
benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
I have been in the Marine Corps for almost ten years now. It has always been a must that we run. And after we are done running, we run some more. Run, run, run and run!

Up until about five months ago, I have hated running. I don't know what changed, but around that same time is when I started focusing on my weight , my food intake and shortly after I joined MFP. This is also when I gave my diet a complete overhaul.

I think the change in diet and activity level has made it easier to run and therfore more enjoyable. My muscles do not ache for days after a short run. I do not get winded after a half mile. I don't feel my body jiggle all over the place with every step. I do not cramp up hardly at all anymore while running. I enjoy the sweat dripping down my face and back. And of course, I enjoy the exhilaration of breaking through the "runner's wall" and making it through that extra mile or two you have added to your run.

I look forward to the races that are sponsored by the MCCS (Marine Corps Community Services) here on base because they are free to attend. I found myself scouring the internet the other night to find races that will be held locally or within a short (hour or so) drive from my house.

Am I weird or crazy? Since when did running become enjoyable?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy running outside when it's not so hot you could cook an egg on the sidewalk. Well, for me it's more of a walk/run/jog/walk repeat thing. But the treadmill I find to be a chore. A nice, air conditioned chore, but very boring. I miss my Winter rambles!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I love running, but not when it is really boiling hot or seriously freezing. Anything else is fine.
  • benich3043
    Options
    Has not been cold for me to decide whether or not I still hate running in the cold...
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Has not been cold for me to decide whether or not I still hate running in the cold...

I hope you find out you love it!
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started running in Dec and have gotten up to around 11 miles for my "long run". I love short runs--still don't really enjoy the longer ones (and am still waiting for that elusive "runners high"--LOL). Although I recently decided to cut back a bit on running and focus on weight training and lo and behold, I've been missing my long runs. Gasp--could this mean that I really DO enjoy running ha ha? Maybe so but I don't think I'll ever be one of those that feels like I HAVE to get out there for a run or I'll be miserable! :-)
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I your crazy then so am I and a few others so there'll always be crazy people to hang out with

I love running preference is colder weather I struggle in the heat but living in the UK I'm ok, lol I've even got used to running in the rain!my favourite runs are muddy & hilly (justification to go slow) but I just love being outdoors.

It's the best feeling when you start to love the exercise you do :-D
  • benich3043
    Options
    The main reason I didn't like running in the cold (talking below 50F) is the cold air makes my chest and throat burn, and I usually get the drippy nose afterwards. I am hoping that wont happen this year.
  • THEErikaR
    THEErikaR Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS wanted to be "that girl that runs on Saturday morning" I see them running and they make it look SO easy!! lol

I have started a walk/jog routine and I have to say that even with my lungs burning, my legs shaking and my whole body jjiggling I still enjoy the feeling of running!! It's difficult, of course and my legs say "no" more often than not, but I am determined to get better little by little. I also can't wait to run in cooler weather!! :smile:
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome for me, mentally, because it's like a good chunk of the time in a day that I get to myself. Just me and my thoughts. Physically, there is no better feeling to me (um, in a working out sense lol) than pushing myself up a huge hill and convincing myself not to quit. I'm not doing weights right now, so this is the most physically demanding thing I do, and it feels sooooo good.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I love running

Hey Marine, why do you all run so much? Whats the point too it? You got jeeps and helicopters etc
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You know, I am JEALOUS of people that love running. Running is one of the things I wish I could do. I totally saw running as a good potential "escape", a way to let go of stress, a time to just be me and the road and work out all my problems and have deep thoughts....

Yeah, it doesn't work that way for me. It's more like "Run with flat feet, run with flat feet, I am SO SLOOOOWWWWW. A side ache? Already? Breathe breathe breathe...... ugh, I sound like I'm a labor coach. Foot, foot, foot, foot.... I haven't even gone half a mile yet? I quit."

My husband runs. I bike. I like biking much better. :tongue:
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    The main reason I didn't like running in the cold (talking below 50F) is the cold air makes my chest and throat burn, and I usually get the drippy nose afterwards. I am hoping that wont happen this year.

Yeah, drippy nose, that I do get. Annoying, but since I like to go at night when no one else is out, I'm the only one that knows I'm a snot faucet! :smile:
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    First and foremost - Thank You for Serving! Glad you now love running. Working on being someone who loves running also, picking up my speed and distance everyday!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I dont run unless someone is chasing me.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Oh, I LOVE to run. I crave it when I can't do it. :heart:

And, I get jealous of my MFP's posts that tell me about how they just finished a run!

I can't wait to lace up my Brooks!!!
  • Jking826
    Jking826 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just recently took up running and got up to 8mi. My goal is a 1/2 marathon (13mi) in September. I LOVE the feeling of accomplishment. When you done and you know you just completed 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 etc miles that make you feel like you on top of the world lol...Now, dont get me wrong those long runs are dreadful...I pray the entire time :smile: but I push becuz I want that feeling at the end.
  • Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am a recent convert to running, I started jog/walk outings about two months ago, and I loved it intsantly. I'm training for a 5K now, and if I don't get my runs in at least 4-5 times a week I get irritable! I love running outside along a nature trail when it's pleasant and sunny, but I love the treadmill too because it's easier, air conditioned and I can run for longer. I can also see my distance run and calories burned! So yeah, I only started running about 8 weeks ago, haha, and I'm combining it with a lot of weights/strength training. I love going to the gym <3
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I noticed that it takes the cardiovascular system a bit of time to adjust to running at temps below 50. The first couple of runs I found my chest/throat would hurt if I hadn't been running lately. But by the third or fourth my body seemed to adapt and I could breathe. The coldest I've run in is probably around 30 with windchill.

I find that the first half mile is the worst mentally and physically. My flat feet hate me, my knees twinge a little, I'm trying to get my stride right so either my calves are hurting or my shins are hurting but after that I really get in a rhythm and get my stride and the twinges disappear. I guess I get the runners high when I go a distance just farther than I thought I could go so that I feel somewhere between exhausted and exhilarated.
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to run like a maniac, but I bludgeoned my joints to death. Now, I do not run, I miss it.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running please read: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!