Breakfast Cookies

Options
ksburge
ksburge Posts: 11
I need a fast, healthy, grab & go breakfast. I love to bake cookies and so I am on the search for the best breakfast cookie recipe. Actually I would like to make any tasty healthy cookie.

Replies

• dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go skinnytaste.com they have some low fat granola bars that I tried yesterday. A bit labor intensive but very good.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/search/?q=Breakfast+cookies

Here is a bunch from Pinterest! :smile:
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    This isn't quite what you asked for, but I'm finding this works for me. I take it with me at eat it once I get to work.

I've been going to the bulk barn and buying whole grains - everything like oat flakes, rye flakes, kamut, millet, quinoa, buckwheat and so on.

I also get seeds.... pumpkin, sesame, flax etc

And then there's nuts.... cashews, almonds, pecans.... you get the idea.

I make a batch of my cereal but mixing some from each group and adding fresh berries. I end up with about two cups mixed before the berries are added.

I put it in Tupperware and add some form of unsweetened milk - almond, soy or flaxseed. I add as much as the grain will absorb right away and then about a 1/2 to 1 cup more. It ends up being about 3 cups of milk.

Then close the container and pop it in the fridge! Yep.... no cooking. In the morning I scoop out about a 1 cup serving into my lunch container and sometimes add a little more milk. I prefer to eat it when I get to work because it's room temp and I like that better than cold straight out of the fridge.

By the calculations on here it's about 400 calories and I only have to make it every couple of days.

Food for thought! lol
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Cookies

2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about ¾ cup)

½ cup natural peanut butter (chunky or regular)

½ cup organic honey (I substitute 1/4 cup molasses and then 1/8 honey and 1/8 agave)

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup rolled oats

½ cup whole wheat flour (any flour will work)

¼ cup ground flaxseed (you could add wheat germ instead or use half and half)

¼ cup nonfat dry milk powder

¼ tsp baking soda

2 tsp ground cinnamon

any dried fruit can be stirred in (raisins, prunes, dates, pineapple, apricot etc)
    If you need more fiber, add fiber powder, if you need more protein, add a scoop of protein powder (vanilla worked better than chocolate for me but I did try both. The mixture is easily adaptable to these additions!!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl stir together banana, peanut butter, honey and vanilla. In a small bowl combine oats, flour, flaxseed, milk powder, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir the oat mixture into the banana mixture until combined.

Using a quick-release cookie scoop, drop mounds of dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Carefully flatten and spread each cookie.

Bake, one sheet at a time, for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months; thaw before serving. Makes about 12 cookies.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that under cooking leaves you a gooier cookie. And since there's no milk or eggs, under cooking is OK!
    If you like a drier cookie, cook the full time.
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ednawatts
    ednawatts Posts: 2
    Options
    how many calories per cookie?
  • lorrainesimba
    Options
    Nice about 212 per cookie