Running is enjoyable?

Options

Replies

• PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running please read: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

True story that is ****ing amazing and will make running better and more enjoyable with less injuries!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running too! However, I do think that anyone who enjoys running is crazy. Crazy in a good way.

When you have a strong mind and body, running is fun. I think running gets a bad rep from people who try to do to much running too soon, those who run too much without working on strength and flexibility, and those who do not fuel their bodies well.

Happy running!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    it's become much more enjoyable as i've learned to pace myself.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm with you--I ran all through high school and part of college and I HATED IT. I tried running a few years ago when I went back to the gym. Still couldn't do it. Then in February something clicked. I started running again (had started on MFP in November and overhauled my diet) and I didn't feel like death! Now I'm up to 9 miles for my long runs (training for a half marathon) and I don't even listen to music anymore! There's something amazing abotu being left alone with my thoughts. I think part of it is age and part of it is just feeling overall healthy!
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I dont run unless someone is chasing me.

You must be in one great shape, cuz I've been chasing you for months. (cheesy pickup line)

No, people, I haven't been chasing her. I saw her comment and it just came to mind.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner but I always hated the thought of running, even though I'd look at runners with envy. I'm just finished Week 6, Day 1 today and even though I haven't gotten a "runner's high", I did look at myself in the mirror and liked how I looked better than I did before I went for the run. I also hate how I feel if I have to miss a run (which I haven't voluntarily done, but had a few injuries that required 2-3 rest days, though none were caused by running). I think once I got running shoes and I got rid of the shin splints I started loving to run.

I could see how being in the military would make you hate it, but my husband better get used to it because when I'm with him wherever we end up stationed, I am making him run with me!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The mind is the biggest part of this journey. It sounds like you had a mindset change.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to love running. It hurts...I get tired...and I'm still working up to longer distances. But I definately love it. Getting up early when really the only other people out there are joggers or bikers (and the few crazy people who go to work at 5 am). I love being able to push myself further and further.

Maybe it's not the actual RUN I love, but the feeling I get when I'm done??? As with most exercises I gues...
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    I love running

Hey Marine, why do you all run so much? Whats the point too it? You got jeeps and helicopters etc

It physically and mentally tasking, and so is combat, preperation is key.
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running please read: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

True story that is ****ing amazing and will make running better and more enjoyable with less injuries!

It is definitely a great story -- even if you don't get into the whole tiny-weeny sandals/barefoot running thing (I didn't). Loved it!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome for me, mentally, because it's like a good chunk of the time in a day that I get to myself. Just me and my thoughts. Physically, there is no better feeling to me (um, in a working out sense lol) than pushing myself up a huge hill and convincing myself not to quit. I'm not doing weights right now, so this is the most physically demanding thing I do, and it feels sooooo good.

^
    This x 1000
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I love running! It was my biggest health break-through when I realized that I was capable of actually putting one foot in front of the other quickly. My joints have swelled a lot less, I feel thrilled when I do an extra mile or adventure further from home then the last time. And it helps when you have some form of incentive to keep you going whether that be music, an audio book, a quote streaming through your head.
    It's the activity that helped me lose a lot of weight in very little time. Now to get rid of the rest and I'll be very happy.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love running

Hey Marine, why do you all run so much? Whats the point too it? You got jeeps and helicopters etc

I have asked this question many times myself. We have to maintain certain weight standards of course, and we are tested on our physical fitness twice a year. One if the Combat Fitness Test which consists of several different things, and the other is the Physical Fitness Test which to score a prefect score is to run 3 miles in 18 minutes, 100 crunches in two minutes and 20 pull ups (chin over the bar and if you let go of the bar you cannot start again). You have 28 minutes to finish the run, if it takes you longer for three miles then you have failed. You also must able to do at least 45 crunches and 3 pull ups. If you fail any event you fail the entire test. If that happens, it is a whole 'nother ball game.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love running

It physically and mentally tasking, and so is combat, preperation is key.

^^This, too!!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I find running enjoyable right now. I was the girl that always said in school "I don't run." So I never ran that 1 mile they had us do for PE. NO way no how. But I started the C25K program in May and have ran my first 5K. The sense of accomplishment is the high I get! Running was always one of those things I felt I would never do or be able to do or cared to do. But to do it and exceed my expectations is an AMAZING feeling!

I live in the PacNW and it rains here a lot. So running in the rain I LOVE! The heat is something new this week and I am sweating crazy things from my pores...lol
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can't say I love running, but I love the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. I'm still pretty new at it, so I hope I learn to love it
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love running in the quiet of the morning, before the neighborhood gets going. It seems it is just me and some rabbits out and about. The quiet of the morning allows me to clear my mind and just enjoy the run. I started running with my daughter and I would never tell her this, but I prefer to run alone. In high school and college I hated running. I did it, I was on the track team (haha - all my friends were on the team, but I hated running) I think I just like a quiet run, just me the rabbits and my ipod.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

You must be in one great shape, cuz I've been chasing you for months. (cheesy pickup line)

No, people, I haven't been chasing her. I saw her comment and it just came to mind.

Actually, you have BLT's. Ill give you a 2 second head start.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    For me running is enjoyable when I'm not forced to do it. I've trained for half marathons and by the end of the training schedule I was so sick and tired of having to run a certain amount of miles, do tempo runs, speed work etc. etc. etc. that just the thought of running made me want to vomit. I like running on my own time and schedule and typically only do 3.1-3.5 miles 3x a week. Right now I've fallen off the running wagon (need new sneakers) but I really need to get back on as I do enjoy it.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options

Actually, you have BLT's. Ill give you a 2 second head start.

You don't know the half of it. My BLT is loaded with bacon...lots and lots of bacon. It's the only way!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!