Let's discuss late-night snacking

Options
HeavyLiftGirl
HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
My biggest issue is late night snacking. We eat dinner early-- usually 4:45pm or 5pm, and then I do my workout around 8pm, and after 8pm I am STARVING. I don't want my 90 calorie snacks...I usually crave something more savory (pizza, sandwiches, etc).

So my question is-- what do you normally do about late-night snacking? What foods help satisfy really strong cravings?

TIA!

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you burn, why don't you just create a small meal for that amount, even if it is a sandwich. Add lean protein and some lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, etc.

If you know how much you are going to burn, just make a meal or snack to accommodate that workout? Snacks at night shouldn't change anything. Hell, I've eat my Dinner at 9pm and snacked at 10pm to 11pm. I've not gained anything.
  • hurricanehodz
    Options
    Protein shake and some cottage cheese is excellent for filling you up till morning!
  • Gogretchen1
    Options
    I am the same way! Sometimes I will just have a small slice of cheese and that is enough (wisconsin girl :) )
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    how about a protein shake after the evening workout?

Or incorporate a "post workout meal" into your diary...saving room for the calories by eating less earlier in the day.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    Depending on how much you burn, why don't you just create a small meal for that amount, even if it is a sandwich. Add lean protein and some lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, etc.

If you know how much you are going to burn, just make a meal or snack to accommodate that workout? Snacks at night shouldn't change anything. Hell, I've eat my Dinner at 9pm and snacked at 10pm to 11pm. I've not gained anything.

I burn 222 calories with my Jillian Michael's Trouble Zones video, and that is usually what I do at night. A great idea. I could always do a 1/2 turkey sandwich on wheat with some veggies. Thanks for the idea!
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    After a late evening workout nothing satisfies my cravings better than my Smoothie-shake...

I add to a blender
    1 Banana (85 cal)
    4-6 Strawberries depending on size (45 Cals)
    1/3 Cup of Orange Juice (40 cals)
    Ice Cubes
    Slim Fast french Vanilla Shake (190 Cals)

(360ish Calories total, lots of potassium and vit C, the slimfast shake a good chunk of most other vitamins daily requirements.

Blend it until it is the consistency of a milkshake, it keeps me full all night long, and you can modify it to meet your specific calorie/vitamin goals.

Also almonds make a good snack - 28 almonds is about 170 calories, has protein, healthy fats, and lots of fiber to help you feel full.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options

Or incorporate a "post workout meal" into your diary...saving room for the calories by eating less earlier in the day.

Yes, this could be a good idea too. However-- I have never found a protein shake I actually like. Do you recommend one that taste decent?
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    After a late evening workout nothing satisfies my cravings better than my Smoothie-shake...

I add to a blender
    1 Banana (85 cal)
    4-6 Strawberries depending on size (45 Cals)
    1/3 Cup of Orange Juice (40 cals)
    Ice Cubes
    Slim Fast french Vanilla Shake (190 Cals)

(360ish Calories total, lots of potassium and vit C, the slimfast shake a good chunk of most other vitamins daily requirements.

Blend it until it is the consistency of a milkshake, it keeps me full all night long, and you can modify it to meet your specific calorie/vitamin goals.

Also almonds make a good snack - 28 almonds is about 170 calories, has protein, healthy fats, and lots of fiber to help you feel full.

Thanks so much for this recipe! It sounds amazing.

I actually eat a good amount of almonds. I have a large bag of them at my desk at work, and eat them throughout the day when I start to feel mid-day cravings.Good idea, also! I may have to buy an extra bag for home.
  • femmemusicale
    femmemusicale Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I usually find that if I try for a "small" snack (a 100-calorie pack or something light and carby), it just acts like a trigger and I end up eating way more than I planned. Instead, I try to go for something more dense, but not too calorie-laden. One of my favorites is Fage greek yogurt with some fruit or even just splenda (or Crystal light mix) mixed in.

If you are thinking savory, I agree with the other posters that a sandwich with lots of veggies (sprouts, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.) and some protein would be good. I like cottage cheese too, but I tend to want to eat more of it than is good for my calorie limits.

You also may just be craving the salt post-workout, so you may want to try a zero-calorie sports drink. Or, if you like some crunch, I really like the Kellogg's cracker chips. You can have about 30 of them for 100-110 calories, depending on the flavor. So, even if you had 60 chips, you'd still be looking at only a 200 calorie snack.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    I am the same way! Sometimes I will just have a small slice of cheese and that is enough (wisconsin girl :) )

I loooooooooooooove cheese. My downfall. String cheese has helped me a little with that, though. It satisfies...sometimes. HA!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue is late night snacking. We eat dinner early-- usually 4:45pm or 5pm, and then I do my workout around 8pm, and after 8pm I am STARVING. I don't want my 90 calorie snacks...I usually crave something more savory (pizza, sandwiches, etc).

So my question is-- what do you normally do about late-night snacking? What foods help satisfy really strong cravings?

TIA!
    Skip breakfast. I eat well into 11pm and 12am. Stay within calorie limits is all you have to do. Timing of eating has nothing to do with total intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HulaHips83
    HulaHips83 Posts: 129
    Options
    Apple slices with a LITTLE reduced fat peanut butter....Fiber and protein and it's filling.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I eat a box of shapes and chocolate every night before bed because I can.
  • graceinbreath
    graceinbreath Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a small meal at night after your workout - i changed my diary so that it does not say breakfast, lunch, dinner etc but instead says 6am to 11am, 11am to 3pm, 3pm to 7pm, 7pm to 11pm and overnight. These sections help me feel less constrained by the "meal" and more open to eat what I need when I need it, regardless of the time!
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Yes, this could be a good idea too. However-- I have never found a protein shake I actually like. Do you recommend one that taste decent?

I love the EAS whey protein! It's a high quality protein & tastes good. After a workout I'll have

1 scoop EAS vanilla protein powder
    3/4 c. skim milk
    1/2 banana
    1/2 tablespoon Ghirardelli cocoa (not hot chocolate mix the cocoa)

Sometimes I won't add the banana or cocoa (depending on how many calories I have left for the day). And sometimes I'll add a tablespoon of peanut butter to the shake. No matter what you do - it's delicious!!

Oh and if you throw in a couple of cubes of ice (around 3-4) and blend it really well it turns into a *healthy* frostee. YUM
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    a bowl of porridge, with a table spoon of peanut butter, low in cals, reaaaaally filling, and tastes really good too, great in all the nutrients, and wash it down with a HUGE mug of green tea....(let it stew for a while in the mug, and then take big mouth washing gulps, and goodness me, i am ready for bed.........
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    Skip breakfast. I eat well into 11pm and 12am. Stay within calorie limits is all you have to do. Timing of eating has nothing to do with total intake.
    I only eat 90 calories at breakfast...just a Special K bar and a large glass of water. For some reason-- I have to eat breakfast or I overeat at lunch.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I only eat 90 calories at breakfast...just a Special K bar and a large glass of water. For some reason-- I have to eat breakfast or I overeat at lunch.
    That's not much then. So keep breakfast. My first meal is around 12pm and usually about 600-800 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition