Nursing Student - Walking!

Options
Im a nursing student and when I have clinicals I am always on the move, we are scheduled to be there for 10 hours - but since it isnt just straight walking I am wondering if anyone else has figured this out? Sometimes I need to be charting, or moving patients around and who knows what else depending on the patient or what I am helping others with.... I put in for walking today for about 6 hours - anyone else think thats a fair estimate? Or should I do it differently?

Replies

• sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would say to update your daily activity level to lightly active. (You can do so by going to goals > change goals.)
    If it's already lightly active then I wouldn't include the walking as exercise.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    IMO.... In order to eat back calories, you need to get your heart rate way up. Walking at work couldn't possibly do that unless you were carrying the patients on your back.
    Is your MFP set to high activity job? As long as it is, they should have set your calories to match your daily expenditure.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I don't count work as any exercise. I have my settings to lightly active (I think that's the one that uses a nurse as an example) and then just try to walk as much as possible at work. I agree with needing to get your heart rate up to count it as exercise so I don't.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    IMO.... In order to eat back calories, you need to get your heart rate way up. Walking at work couldn't possibly do that unless you were carrying the patients on your back.
    Is your MFP set to high activity job? As long as it is, they should have set your calories to match your daily expenditure.

I work in a job (and have worked other jobs) where I am on my feet for my entire shift. Let me tell you that it IS possible for walking at work to get your heart rate up and while it may not seem like much to some people, I can assure you that you are burning a bunch of calories even being on your feet, walking here or there, etc. I wouldn't discount it.

To the OP: I would switch your activity level to lightly active or even active (I have mine set as active) to show the change in your daily activity level vs trying to log it everyday.
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I don't count work as any exercise. I have my settings to lightly active (I think that's the one that uses a nurse as an example) and then just try to walk as much as possible at work. I agree with needing to get your heart rate up to count it as exercise so I don't.

I'm a nurse as well and I do it just the same way :smile:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    get a fitbit! It will keep track of your steps and sync with MFP when you walk by your docking station. Set both to sedentary, then eat back your exercise calories :D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who say don't count your job as exercise. Just adjust your activity settings higher. If it's not purposeful, focused and sustained, I don't count it as exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Nurse here and settings at lightly active. i have a fitbit that I wear too, but I don't get the huge fitbit adjustment that I did before I changed my settings.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I agree. I'm also a nurse and my setting is same as yours. I do not count work as exercise. I have been thinking about getting a HRM and setting to sedentary and putting in calories burned. I have intended on going up and down stairs and counting those, but lol I still haven't done that :/.
  • shamrocker15
    Options
    [/quote]

I work in a job (and have worked other jobs) where I am on my feet for my entire shift. Let me tell you that it IS possible for walking at work to get your heart rate up and while it may not seem like much to some people, I can assure you that you are burning a bunch of calories even being on your feet, walking here or there, etc. I wouldn't discount it.

To the OP: I would switch your activity level to lightly active or even active (I have mine set as active) to show the change in your daily activity level vs trying to log it everyday.
    [/quote]

I didnt want to change my goals because monday through friday I still work a desk job and am stuck on my butt from 9-5 :( - I was just trying to figure it out for when I am at clinicals on the weekends cause when the day is over I know I've been walking and on my feet all day...
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a first year student nurse and haven't started my clinicals yet. Good luck to you!
    I would recommend changing your caloric intake if you are moving more than usual... even just up by 100 cals might make a difference?
  • elliejelli
    elliejelli Posts: 14
    Options
    I am a student nurse and part time nursing assistant, i have a pedometer with a calorie counter and it, if I wear it to work, should I count that as exercise...also do you guys work out on days you are working....! am always sooo tired...I need motivation! x
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would probably just bump up your activity estimate to reflect the increase instead of trying to count it as exercise, but its up to you. Just make sure to log your calories religiously. I gained almost all of my extra weight as a vet student on clinics, on my feet sometimes for 12 or more hours at a time and on call in rotation. Of course, the stress and the weird schedule and the omni present junk food had me easily out eating the extra activity.