realistically, how much weight can i lose in 6 weeks?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm going on holiday at the end of August, obviously any girl would want to look their very best for that beach moment.

how much weight can you lose in 6 weeks if done the right way?

Replies

• Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i think sticking to a good calorie intake, and just simple jogging , you can net about 10lbs in 6 week

if you had High intensity interval training to that mix, it becomes even more, so i wish you luck, and if you need some one to talk to, were all here for you :)
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'd say at the most 12lbs, but it really depends on your body. It's considered unhealthy to lose more than 2lbs per week. If you're heavier, you'll tend to lose weight quicker initially than if you're already pretty fit.

Take measurements, too. Even if the scale doesn't go down, you'll probably still see improvements, and maybe you'll see more progress with measurements than you will on the scale so you'll still be happy with your progress after 6 weeks.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose. And if your ticker is accurate, you don't have much.

I would set your calorie goal to lose half a pound a week or less. Increase your protein and work on strength training, eating at least some of your exercise calories to keep your net as close to your calorie goal as possible. You might not lose all the pounds you'd like to lose, but you'll be able to burn more fat and keep more muscle tone than you would if you just cut calories and do a lot of cardio. Make sure to drink plenty of water through this process to avoid excess water retention.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you're starting, really. I lost my first 20-30 pounds very fast before things started to level off, but I weighed 355lbs at the start. If you're closer to a healthy weight, obviously that won't happen.

Weight management is a long-term endeavor. Start now, but don't get hung up on that 6-week timeline, and don't stop when you get there.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think the other guy is about right. People will vary slightly, but 2lbs a week is about the max you wanna' shoot for if you do it the right way. The good news is that if you keep stock of what you eat and workout, you will lose weight. Good luck on your journey and remember to think in terms of lifestyle and the big picture. Cheers.
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi there......
    It depends how overweight you are at the moment........seriously, if you are 5"6 and weight 210 lbs, then you can easily lose 30lbs in 30 days with calorie deficit and exersize .......

so a way to work it out for yourself is.......

3500 calories = 1lb of fat

so if you have a calorie deficit of 500 cals per day x 7 days = 3500 cals deficit = 1lb fat loss per week

therefore it makes sense that if you have a 1000 cal deficit per day, that you will lose 2lbs per week
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi there......
    It depends how overweight you are at the moment........seriously, if you are 5"6 and weight 210 lbs, then you can easily lose 30lbs in 30 days with calorie deficit and exersize .......

so a way to work it out for yourself is.......

3500 calories = 1lb of fat

so if you have a calorie deficit of 500 cals per day x 7 days = 3500 cals deficit = 1lb fat loss per week

therefore it makes sense that if you have a 1000 cal deficit per day, that you will lose 2lbs per week

sorry, i accidentally hit post before finishing.....

WRONG, do not reduce by that much, only top up your calorie requirement with exersize etc......
  • Sp1ritgirl
    Options
    Well, I have lost 10 in 4...and I eat a ton of yummy protein rich low carb foods...but I'm not the expert. I am using a book called "The 6 week cure for the middle age middle" which is kind of misnamed, because it's the cure for anyone who needs a metabolic reset (I think so anyway). So realistically, and safely, if you were to follow this 6 week plan, you could lose 15 pounds? My husband did...of course, he has spent many more years eating right and I think his body responded better than mine, which has gone through 4 pregnancies, a couple of intense diets, and far too much carb-rich living. But you know what? More amazing than the pounds I've shed, is the FAT I've shed! I have gone down almost 4 dress sizes!! No kidding! I keep asking how is it possible, since I don't feel like I've lost enough "weight" to have lost 3 dress sizes and am super close to the 4th - in 3 1/2 weeks!? HOW? Because my body is going through recomposition and burning fat like crazy to pump the lean muscle back into health! I wouldn't probably have believed it if I hadn't been doing it for myself. I hope this helps, maybe inspires? If it does, then look up www.proteinpower.com. It's not the only sight with the low carb info you might want, but it's a start if you are interested.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would say 10 pounds is a reasonable goal. That's a little over a pound and a half a week, which is very doable.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose. And if your ticker is accurate, you don't have much.

I would set your calorie goal to lose half a pound a week or less. Increase your protein and work on strength training, eating at least some of your exercise calories to keep your net as close to your calorie goal as possible. You might not lose all the pounds you'd like to lose, but you'll be able to burn more fat and keep more muscle tone than you would if you just cut calories and do a lot of cardio. Make sure to drink plenty of water through this process to avoid excess water retention.

This is a great answer - it really does depend on how far you have to go. I.e., the last few pounds will always take longer than the first ones. If you're close to your goal, and you don't want to lose muscle mass along with fat, I would recommend not trying to lose more than .5 lb per week, so target about 3lb. And even that might be aggressive.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    in 40 days I have lost 20 lbs, and I eat at least 1640 calories a day doing it. I find I lost most weight when I exercise in the pool.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    depends on how much you exercise and your own body's reaction to the new lifestyle. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months, but that was with moderate exercising. the past two weeks I lost 10 lbs being on a more intense exercise program :happy:
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I started my journey 6 weeks ago and lost about 15lbs so far... And I'm not a food nazi nor I am doing any "radical" diet/sports...
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus on inches or overall health rather than just lbs, and then you might be in a much better place in 6 weeks. I am just starting out, so I can only tell you what I've been learning, but is looks like you've already been given some good advice here ;)