Frustrated

Options
So I looked over last weeks log. I started an excel sheet to keep track of everything, and found that with counting all my exercise, not including daily activities, my BMR and the calories I hate, I had a deficiet of 4231 calories, But yet, I still gained 2 pounds in 1 week. I don't get it :( And now I'm super frustrated because I've worked so hard to lose it and I just gained :\

Replies

• Jeffbri
    Jeffbri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Doesn't sound like it. I did this before also and my weight loss stalled and then I gained. Try to eat more...as crazy as that sounds.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I started to eat my exercise Calories back on Wednesday. It still hasn't seemed to help.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    could you be gaining muscle? You might also track your measurements - I know that can make a big difference in how I perceive things. because we put so much stock in the number on the scale. Also, I've learned that the TYPES of calories your diet is made up of can make almost as big a difference as consuming the calories in the right number. making sure you're getting enough of some things while not getting too much of others. Are you getting enough water? if you don't drink enough water, it can cause water retention issues. It seems weird, but the more water you drink, the less you retain... I'm sorry for the frustration. I know it's hard, but you're in it for the right reasons.

You might see if your doc can refer you to a nutritionist who can take a look at your food diary and help you analyze.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    I am keeping track of my measurements. Nothing has changed :( And I don't eat a whole bunch of junk food at all. It's mainly healthy foods with a small low cal treat every once in awhile. I drank a lot more water than I tracked yesterday because I didn't know exactly how much. I probably could be drinking more water though.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Exercise causes your muscles to retain water for repair. Drink extra for the next few days and flush out the retention. You did not gain any fat if youe were in a deficit, nor did you gain muscle in one week. It is most definitely water weight. :smile:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit you cannot gain 2 lbs of fat in a week. You cannot gain 2 lbs of muscle a week either. Therefore, the result on the scale is likely just a fluctuation based on the amount of fluid in the body (maybe you were dehydrated a bit last week or consumed a lot of sodium over the weekend) or the amount of undigested food in your digestive tract. These factors can fluctuate several pounds from day to day. How do you feel? Are your clothes significantly tighter? I'f not, your probably on track even though the scale doesn't reflect it. Also keep in mind that for women, hormones play a big part in how much water our tissues retain, so it is normal for weight to fluctuate throughout your cycle.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    With a deficit of 4200, unless your BMR or TDEE is calculated incorrectly, any weight gained is water weight. Patience, more water, less sodium and you should see a loss. Also, can't recall if you said you are weighing everything, but the difference between a rounded quarter cup and a weighed quarter cup can be significant in the amount of calories. For this reason, I have switched to weighing, in grams or ounces, everything I consume.
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree!
    Exercise causes your muscles to retain water for repair. Drink extra for the next few days and flush out the retention. You did not gain any fat if youe were in a deficit, nor did you gain muscle in one week. It is most definitely water weight. :smile:
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appriciate it. Lately I have not been able to drink much water since I bit my tongue and it hurts to eat/drink anything. I had 10 cups today alerady, and I'm still thirsty, without much exercise either, so I will try drinking way more water and see if that helps! :)