Ran My 1st 5k??!

Options

Replies

• LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You finished......congrats!! Don't worry about the time, like you said, now you have a goal to beat next time. Way to go ......be proud!
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    such a great feeling ....I ran my first 5k last month and actually teared up I was so proud of myself....and then thought , I wanna do that again. Just signed up for parkrun.co.uk too, hope to run every saturday now x
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing to be disappointed about especially for your first race and first OUTSIDE. Now, try to get outside now and then as it is way different .... and sign up for your next race! Congratulations on a well run race! You are awesome!
  • brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    Congrats!! I completed my first 5k a few weeks ago and am doing another next weekend to keep me motivated. I've only run outside and had to run on the treadmill while on vacation recently and hated every second of it.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Great job - 48 minutes or 48 hours!! At least you were out there DOING IT!! WTG!!!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Don't be disappointed. The point of the first one is that you finished it. I ran my first one in June and now want to beat my time as well - there's another one coming up in September nearby. Like you, I did all my training on the treadmill and running outside is a little different, plus you had hills (which I didn't), so that makes it so much tougher.

This is definitely a victory for you and now you have a time to beat! Keep up the good work!
  • cm4508
    cm4508 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Very Inspirational! I am running my first 5K in October. Keep up the great work! We all have a first but at least you already completed your first and have it under your belt. GREAT JOB!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Welll done! Don't be so down on your time of 48 mins. It takes practice to get used to running outdoors.

Whereabouts are you based? In the UK (and in some US towns) parkrun is very popular. It is a fantastic way to improve on your time each week.

www.parkrun.co.uk

Just in case anyone was wondering, it's actually www.parkrun.org.uk
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Very good! You'll crush the time in your next race!
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the finish. Treadmill running trains you to race...on a treadmill. Get outside and start training on the streets...it's harder...it's supposed to be. You'll love it, promise.

Prediction: your next 5K will be under 35 minutes. Go get it.
  • bdushane
    bdushane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration to me. Our City Rec Dept has a couch to 5K program that will start in August & I am going to do it! I have never ran in my life but I need a new challenge! If you can do it, so can I (I hope) :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Saturday I ran my first 5k with a friend. She is an experienced runner as she runs marathons often. She slowed her pace down a lot to run with me but it was nice to have her there encouraging me. I have ran 3.1 miles on a treadmill but never outside. It was very hard, the hills kicked my butt but all in all, I made it to the finish line! It took me 48 minutes (which is a lot longer than I wanted) and am a little disappointed but have a time to beat for next time I guess. Anyway, I just wanted to share :)

That's awesome! You have a good handle on it in the sense that you have a time to beat, and that running outside is different.

Running is about adaptation. My advice to help your time in future races is to run at least once a week out of doors. It helps fuel that adaptation.

Personally, I will run outside year round. Year round for me means minus forty celcius, to plus forty celcius (about 100 F). I need the ever changing stimulus to challenge and refresh me. I run with a group as well to improve the social aspect. FWIW -> Yes we are a crazy bunch of Canucks...
  • ashmarie25
    ashmarie25 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. I will definately start running outside more often to get used to it. I do want to do another 5k in the near future. And I have a very good feeling I will shave off quite a few minutes from my first race time.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Saturday I ran my first 5k with a friend. She is an experienced runner as she runs marathons often. She slowed her pace down a lot to run with me but it was nice to have her there encouraging me. I have ran 3.1 miles on a treadmill but never outside. It was very hard, the hills kicked my butt but all in all, I made it to the finish line! It took me 48 minutes (which is a lot longer than I wanted) and am a little disappointed but have a time to beat for next time I guess. Anyway, I just wanted to share :)

Congrats to you! The point isn't the time, it's that you did it at all. Treadmill is so very different from running outside, but the more you do it outside, the more you'll get accustomed to it (and quite possibly prefer it).
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    WTG. The first run outside is very tough but you pushed through and finished. Don't be disappointed. Just remember there are a LOT of people who have not finished a 5k. You're already 1 step ahead of them. Keep going!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Congrats! that's so awesome that you did it.
    I'd say just getting to the finish line at all is something to celebrate. So you are rocking.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    That's wonderful! So glad you had a support system there to help you as well.
    Just remember, someone like me has never run a 5k. So, you are doing amazing and should never be disappointed.

(I am not a runner so probably wouldn't do a 5k ever but you get the point lol)
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow congratulations! I think your time was great! Especially since this is your first one!
    Also, I agree with what others have said, running outdoors is definately more challenging than running on a treadmill. Be careful, you may find that you LOVE running outdoors and your treadmill won't get used much anymore. :-)
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!
    My first 5K time was 53 minutes. :)

I ran one on July 4th and got my time down to 39 minutes!! Next step, under 35.

You should be so proud!
  • xtrordinari
    Options
    What an accomplishment, congratulations! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!