Do supplement calories count???

Options
So I spoke to a nutritionist for a few tips on weight loss and she directed me to be taking an Omega 3-6-9 liquid supplement (1 tbsp) every morning (p.s. it doesnt not "taste great" like the bottle says lol) and to be sprinkling ground flax on all of my foods. The one tablespoon of omega 3-6-9 has 125 calories in it. If during the course of the day I have a whole serving of ground flax (2.5 tablespoons) it will be 70 or so calories. Should these be counted on MFP????? Because I work out 5 days a week she believes 1200 calories is not enough .... I would call her and ask her but I ran into her at my gym and havent seen her since LOL =)

Any one know??

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If it has calories and you ingest it, count it.
  • Love2LaughMK
    Love2LaughMK Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel like the omega 3-6-9 shouldnt count LOL it would be like counting calories on a fish oil pill .... :/ .... im so confused
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree - you need to count it, but those are calories well spent :wink:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I feel like the omega 3-6-9 shouldnt count LOL it would be like counting calories on a fish oil pill .... :/ .... im so confused

Why would you not count the calories in a fish oil pill? Just because it is in pill form, if it has calories, it contributes to your total intake of calories.

EDIT: From a mental/behavioral standpoint I can understand someone not wanting to count items that have a very low calorie density. But from a physiological standpoint the calories function as calories.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

I count the calories in my fish oil pill. 1200 is too low if you are working out at the gym. 1200 is too low for most people IMHO
  • triatc1
    triatc1 Posts: 2
    Options
    The calls form supplements are what we call "hidden calories." In my 25 years in sports medicine/performance enhancement I have had my athletes use almost zero supplements. If you pay attention to your dietary intake you will get what the supplement is supposed to offer and in a better tasting medium.
  • Love2LaughMK
    Options
    Ok so I count it ...

So it 1200 is too low what should it be at ... I just took MFP suggested calorie intake of 1200 ...

This fitness stuff is getting complicated LOL ...
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I log flax seeds etc. but not capsules/tablets they do not show a calorie count and are probably less than 2 ml oil, I always try to allow myself about 50 cals for inaccuracies.
  • Love2LaughMK
    Options
    I thought I ate a healthy well balanced diet ... but honestly there are a lot of things I probably dont get in my diet that I should ... I dont like seafood among other things LOL ... Even my personal trainer takes a multi vitamin and fish oil pill ...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    All calories count. Period. That being said, I don't count my pre-workout since it only has 5 calories and 5 calories either way isn't going to make a damn bit of difference.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You should log it. If you are set to 1200 and you are doing all that exercise then presumably you are eating back your earned exercise calories? Did you advise your nutrionalist of this before they commented that you were eating to low?
  • rachelrobinson79
    Options
    I do the flax on yogurt (I think it actually makes it taste better) and yes I do count it. The way I see it is you should consider those calories, but like another poster said "calories well spent". Not all calories are bad, you need them obviously. But being aware of them makes you decide to pick the right ones. I try to get the most "bang for my buck" out of my allotted cals.
  • Love2LaughMK
    Options
    I average 400 calories burned daily (more on the days with my trainer - less on my cardio only days LOL) ... and I rarely eat them all back ... I average a 1300 calorie diet ... I have lots of fruit and protien ...

Yes I told the nutritionist ... I have lost no weight in 3 months ... I have 2 inches around my waist and thighs and 2% body fat but my weight is exactly the same. My trainer isnt concerend because I am losing body fat but the nutritionist felt that this would help me.