cant eat that much!

Options
I'm having a problem not being able to eat the calories that I'm allowed. I am always under. Anyone have the same problem?

Replies

• satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    HI,

Could you share your diary so we could see how things look?
  • libertyfaith
    Options
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5 0 0 1
    Stop & Shop - Crunchy Raisin Bran, 1 Cup 190 44 1 3
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup 86 12 0 8
    International Delight Sugar Free - Coffee Creamer - Hazelnut, 10 Tbsp 200 10 20 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 481 66 21 12
    Lunch
    Dannon - Light & Fit Nonfat Strawberry Yogurt (Big Container), 1 Cup (225g) 110 20 0 7
    Subway - 6 Inch Turkey Breast 9-Grain Wheat Bread, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Green Peppers and Cucumbers, 220 g 280 46 3 16
    Add Food Quick Tools 390 66 3 23
    Dinner
    Ortega - Taco Seasoning Mix W/Ground Beef, 3 Tbs 76 2 3 0
    Dole - Packaged Salad - Very Veggie Salad Mix, 3 oz (85g / 1.5c) 20 4 0 1
    Add Food Quick Tools 96 6 3 1
    Snacks
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 cup, quartered or chopped 65 17 0 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 65 17 0 0

Totals 1,032 155 27 36
    Your Daily Goal 2,080 286 69 78
    Remaining 1,048 131 42 42
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused on the scenario. Your ticker says you have a 75lb weight loss goal. Your diary paste shows you were allowed 2,080 calories which seems high for a weight loss goal. 286g of carbs seems high to me too. Was that an exercise day where you were given additional calories to "eat back". Lets get some other folks feedback here. I'm no expert but there are some in here. We'll get it sorted out. :happy:
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hi there,

i dont always reach as many cals as i need for this goal........

but i figure, so long as i dont undershoot too badly, then i let it roll, if i am falling about 600 short, then i will literally force down some lean chicken and brocolli, cos i dont want to go into starvation mode.....i only ever top up with protein heavy or fibre heavy stuff, no donuts or doritos :noway:
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can't eat that much, try eating lighter things that are higher in calories. I snack on nuts when I am not feeling hungry and know I need to get more calories in me. I struggle getting my 1200 calories in so that is what I started doing. Good luck!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    She could have that many calories due to exercise.

You need more protein and calories, I know you did not get in the position to lose 75 lbs because you were under eating. Add some cheese, nuts and avocado to your diet. Plus, you may want to consider 2% milk as well.

You must change your life to a diet that you can sustain for ever, not just eat this way until you lose the weight. 1000 calories is not enough and you may find your hair falling out as well as other things going wrong if you continue.

A few other things you can add to your diet are foods that are low on the glycemic index like sweet potatoes or quinoa.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you're really short on calories and don't feel like eating much a spoon and a jar of peanut butter cures that in about 30 seconds. It's high fat but a healthy kind of fat. I love love love the stuff but normally don't eat it because it's so calorie dense. Seriously, you can wipe out 30 minutes of cardio with just a large spoonful. :tongue:
  • libertyfaith
    Options
    Thanks for the input. New to this. :) I walk 5 miles a day, it takes me an hour, moderate pace. Maybe I'm exercising too much and not eaing enough because I gained 1 pound just yesterday. Yo- yo dieting is common for me. A little discouraged.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    ditch the light and low-fat foods. add some fats like olive oil, nut butters. that should get you mostly there. if you're still low, have some ice cream.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    ditch the light and low-fat foods. add some fats like olive oil, nut butters. that should get you mostly there. if you're still low, have some ice cream.
    Yup.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under, as long as it evens out over the course of a week then that's ok. I would find it difficult to eat the same amount of calories every single day.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. New to this. :) I walk 5 miles a day, it takes me an hour, moderate pace. Maybe I'm exercising too much and not eaing enough because I gained 1 pound just yesterday. Yo- yo dieting is common for me. A little discouraged.

I would never say an hour of activity is EVER too much. Especially for those of us that have our settings at 'sedentary' since we have desk jobs and sit the majority of our days.

Make sure you log every workout and every bite of food. Meet your goals, don't fall below them. There's a lot of resources on here with past forum posts.
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do not understand you people who can not eat. I recently had a 3,000 calorie day and was still hungry at the end of it. WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?????
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Hang in there...being under by a lot is OK once in a while, but most days, you'll need to find ways to eat at least the minimum calories or you'll mess up your system. Based on what you posted for your food diary, maybe try a higher calorie yogurt, some salad dressing with your dinner or sandwiches and maybe dip that apple in some peanut butter or something.

By the way...if you're doing 5 miles in an hour, that's not 'moderate' at all..that's really fast (like a jogging pace).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

^^^^ This. You're struggling with your calories but using a lot of reduced-calorie processed food.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Why is your diet made up of lite/fat-free crap when you are having trouble eating enough?

Edit: I was beaten, oh so beaten, to this conclusion...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I do not understand you people who can not eat. I recently had a 3,000 calorie day and was still hungry at the end of it. WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?????

This. I think anyone who can't eat 2000 cals is a pansy. On the days I have a hard workout, my breakfast is sometimes 1400 cals. Call me when you leave mamby pamby land. *tease*
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

In my case, getting my macros (fats, proteins, and carbs) in balance was the key. As soon as I did that (in my case by lowering my carbohydrate intake and increasing my protein intake) I found I was filling up a lot better on fewer calories.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

Yep. I use heavy whipping cream in my coffee for 50 calories a TBSP, I use a TBSP of coconut oil in my protein shakes (sometimes I use avocado in them too), I eat a TBSP (or two, three, or four...) of peanut butter and/or almond butter if I have lots of spare calories, etc. I have my goal set to my BMR, and then I eat back exercise calories, so I'm usually between 1800 and 2100 calories-depending on how much exercise I do and how rigorous it is. I still drink a low cal milk (either skim or unsweetened almond milk)... but that's just because it's my taste preference. And I don't drink much milk anyway.
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

In my case, getting my macros (fats, proteins, and carbs) in balance was the key. As soon as I did that (in my case by lowering my carbohydrate intake and increasing my protein intake) I found I was filling up a lot better on fewer calories.

I have already done that... Thanks for the suggestion, though!! I have noticed my hunger has gone from "INSANE, obessive thoughts about sweets, watching the food channel," to "manageable but annoying."

My energy level has also gone way up after switching to low-carb. I would still like to eat less, though, and am wondering if my hunger signals have been screwed up somehow.