Ouch! Over calories

Options
I just completed my food diary for yesterday and ended up with 3609 calories and no exercise when i'm scheduled for 1200 calories and 60 minutes of exercise. I know i just have to get back on track today, but i can't stop beating myself up for yesterday. Please tell me you've been there and you can climb out of the pit.

Replies

• carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Just do the best you can to put it behind you and get right back on your plan today. Do not try to "make up" for the off day by overly restricting what you eat - that is a dangerous road that leads to unproductive binge-starve cycles.

You've done yourself a favor by logging what you ate yesterday and facing the music. Now put it behind you and get right back on the horse.

While you do that, though, consider what caused you to go so far over your plan, and think about how you can alter your environment or approach to help prevent it happening again!
  • underdogzz
    underdogzz Posts: 15
    Options
    Do you have a laptop/iPhone/iPod touch that you can track with?

I constantly use the app because I'm out all day. It's the difference between "Can I eat a sandwich?" and "I'm going to eat a sandwich."
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Everyone has been there. I just went on vacation last weekend to Ocean City and I'm sure we over-ate since it was vacation and I didn't have gym access.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    Oh don't beat yourself up. Will it set you back a little bit, maybe, but I doubt it. If you did that everyday for a few days it would definitely set you back. Yesterday is in the past, today is a new day. Eat healthy, and workout!!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I went over my calories yesterday with no exercise. I got back on the wagon this morning and exercised and eating right. It will be ok. Dust yourself off and try again.:wink:
  • HorganMom3
    HorganMom3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We have all done this... Don't be too hard on yourself. I was over yesterday and worked out, and today is my rest day so I can't help but feel slightly "bad", but its part of the process or journey. We are human and not perfect, and as long as you are on an overall uphill climb of eating healthy and doing your body good with some exercise then I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. I have seen people on here lose weight while exercising and still eating over calories on a daily basis. Yes, everyone is different, but I don't think small "mistakes" here and there are going to add up to complete failure. Relax and move on!
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i just took a vacation for a week and didnt give a **** about what i ate. fast food everyday. i ended up losing a pound. i was active, but not incredibly active. sometimes a splurge day is what your body needs.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Holy HECK have I ever been there... I know there are days that (although I was too embarrassed to record it), my food reached at least 5,000 in a single day. While I lay around and did nothing but mope. Unfortunately, I've let these days turn into weeks before by beating myself up about it. That made me feel even worse, which made me eat even more... and before I knew it, I'd packed on several pounds again.

Forgive yourself NOW. Move forward. Don't fret. Don't try "making up for it" by practically starving yourself (that will end badly-trust me). Just move ahead.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day. Do a drop more cardio and eat a drop less. You will be fine and life will go on.

I've been there a million times. Last week I pulled a muscle in my back and has ordered to "take it easy" from my doctor. I went to the gym maybe twice. Coincidentally, I had family in from out of town and we went out to nice restaurants just about every evening. I went over almost every single day, but the memories I shared with my family outweighs a lb or two I may have gained.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I beat myself just this morning, but I'm better now.
    You be too; keep at it.
  • AngieCook09
    AngieCook09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to try to log what I ate yesterday, if it had sugar in it I ate it. Today is a new day though, I'm getting back on track!
  • debborawski
    debborawski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I am always there. But you need to stop beating yourself up! YOU are your only boss. Just take one day at a time. Give yourself a break. You should enjoy life. So when you eat, ENJOY IT. When you exercise ENJOY IT. Embrace it all. But feeling down is only going to put you in a rut. I started a weight lose management program just today! It is going to be tough. Nothing is easy when you want good results, for anything. So I am going to take one day at a time. Start your day EARLY! which means wake up early, go to bed early. Start some kind of routine. I started a weight management program with Body By Vi...if interested go to. http://debborawski.bodybyvi.com/ with this you will feel more energy and it actually cleans you out as well so you do not feel sluggish. 2 shakes a day and a sensible meal with also snacks that you can put through out the day. You find a ton of snack ideas and recipes with the shakes so they don't get boring. It is Highly recommended from my nutritionist and doctor, chiropractor and My husband who is a PT trainer in the Army. I am going to try it and hope that you will find SOMETHING, anything, to keep you healthy and full of energy and remember. ONE DAY AT A TIME! I am starting at 204 today...and I have a ways to go! BUT I am really hopeful that this will work. My sisters both have lost 30 lbs the past 2 months. Our family is big boned and always known as big boned. I am tired of that description. I am ready to get serious! YOU CAN DO IT !!!
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I few days ago i at 3900 calories when i'm only suppose to eat 2000 AND i cant exercise right now because i hurt my ankle...so i've been too. How did i deal with it? Honestly, i didnt. Everyone has bad days...weight loss is not an all or nothing kind of thing. If you have a crappy day, just move on. No need to beat yourself up over it because everyone has them.

Besides, if it helps, on days when you are very hypercaloric (eat way too many calories), your body does not use 100% of the excess. Your body does not process everything because it doesnt need to and you end up pooping out some of the potential calories....
  • morgan9
    morgan9 Posts: 22
    Options
    Yep - will happen. Get out of your head and don't worry about it. Today is a new day. Live in the now with respect for the future and you'll be fine. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First of all, what is the point of beating yourself up about something you can't change?! Instead, take that time and energy and put it towards thinking about how you could approach the situation differently next time. Feeling guilty is not productive...and most times will just put you into a cycle of eating, feeling bad, eating, feeling worse, etc. Learn your lesson and move on.

Second, one day in the grand scheme of things shouldn't set you back that far. In fact, I've had days where it actually helped. Can't remember what the science is behind that but I've heard it has something to do with jolting your metabolism. When I did Atkins years ago, they actually encourage a cheat day once a week for just this purpose. And I'll tell you, I took in about 3000 calories on the 4th and the small increase I had was gone within a couple of days - just water weight.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just workout hard the rest of the week and forget about it... It is okay to go over once in a while.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's only 1 day! Just get back on track today! No biggie! :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. 1200 calories is an awfully little amount of calories. Restricting yourself to this can only make binging worse when you do end up binging.

I think before all else you need to reevaluate your weight loss goals. Are you trying to lose more than .5-1 pound a week? If the answer is yes, then you probably need to change your goals to that. You are not obese so losing 2 pounds a week is not realistic. Eating the bare minimum is not realistic.

That being said, you will probably continue to have days where you want to binge. Binging is not a typically due to actual hunger but due to emotional eating. If this is the case with you then you can find a way to distract yourself from eating. Taking a walk, starting a conversation with a loved one, and exercising are all great ideas to distract yourself. You could also try eating at set times or planning your day on here before you actually eat- it can help. You will also need to address the emotional issues as to why you want to eat so much. I can't really help you with that but a lot of the times simply asking yourself why you want something is enough. Also try asking yourself as you're reaching for that high calorie food if your hunger can be taken care of with something healthy, say an apple or carrots. If the answer to that question is no. It's completely emotional.

So, for today, forgive yourself for yesterday but you need to come up with a plan for the future. Come up with a plan that can help you succeed!

Also, if you would like another supportive friend, feel free to add me!
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    I went over about 1200 cals yesterday...and like 2x last week I was up about 900. So yes. We all do it. You just have to forget about yesterday and make healthier choices today.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, been there. I don't like that, so I try to find why it happened, and make a better plan. For example, did I not get to the store in time to load up on my "diet" foods...or should I have made sure I ate before I left for a shopping trip...etc.

Just remember, you probably ate like that and MORE before you started keeping track and making good changes. You are doing better that you used to, and will do better in the future!