Now the hard part

Options
Wonderob
Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
Ok I've reached my target weight of 150lbs. I just had 15 lbs to lose and it's taken me just over 2 months. Very hard but at the same time, very simple and very straight forward so I thought I would share what has made this so simple this time. Nothing controversial here - you're probably all doing most of it already

1) Count calories: At 47 you would think I knew how much I stuffed into my mouth by now, but no, still an eye opener when it's noted down! Count every calorie

2) Weight training: Can't stress enough how important this has been. I've maintained all my strength and most of my muscle mass - lost nearly all fat!

3) MFP: Support and motivation, but mostly FOCUS! If you're on here every day looking at and talking about all things health and fitness, you will never lose focus in what you're doing

3) Support/workout partner: In my case my wife but a friend would work too. It's great bouncing ideas, motivation and enthusiasm off each other. I help her training routines and her macros, she helps with all my meals. Great team with the same goals

4) Cardio: Previously I have opted for what I thought was BEST for me - running, High intensity training and other such things, and I've had to force myself to do it. This time I have picked something I actually enjoy, cycling! The workout figures aren't as good, but I look forward to going out so I'm going to stick to it!

5) Pick foods you like rather than those you think you should eat: I hate salads, most vegetables, fish, yogurt, wholemeal bread. They're healthy so I SHOULD eat them, but it would be too hard so I don't. I just pick the best of what I do like. The sacrifice I make is that I lose all variety (I have chicken, carrotts, apples and milk every day!)

Both my wife and I are slim and fit again - but this time it's going to stay that way; hence you'll still see me on here all the time!

Replies

• Wonderob
    Options
    Only 15lb but I was expecting a 'yay"
    lol
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    I'll give ya a "yay"! Probably hard for some people to look at your loss of 15 pounds as the only pounds you needed to loose. A Lot of us have so much poundage to lose that we can only wish we were sorta in your situation. Still, it probably was difficult for you as it is for us. congrats again!
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "now the hard part". I, too, only had 15 lbs to lose. Been there and done that many times over. I will feel like a true success once I have been able to keep THIS 15 lbs off for more than a year! Maybe this time I will be able to do it because of some new insights (like you, I am in my late 40's and really thought I should have had this figured out by now!)...mainly, counting calories, not eliminating ANY food group, finding an exercise I can do for LIFE.
    Congrats to you. Here's to seeing both of us post on this board same time next year that we've been able to keep it off!
  • morgan9
    morgan9 Posts: 22
    Options
    Congrats! Great suggestions, too! Keep up the good work!
  • brushe
    brushe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    15 lbs is a great acoomplishment. Fantastic work. It gets harder to lose when you don't have that much in my opinion.

I love your perspective on eating what you "should" eat vs. what you enjoy. I'm the same way. Eat what you enjoy and modify from there.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I'll give ya a "yay"! Probably hard for some people to look at your loss of 15 pounds as the only pounds you needed to loose. A Lot of us have so much poundage to lose that we can only wish we were sorta in your situation. Still, it probably was difficult for you as it is for us. congrats again!

Yeah I totally understand that - only 15lbs so not a big deal really and certainly not nearly the achievement that many of here have made.

That said, it has been a difficult 2 months - big changes for me and if I'm honest, little motivation - I'm just a little bit slimmer and fitter now than I was, whereas lots of people are making life changing losses - that's MASSIVE motivation!

Thanks though, much appreciated
  • llepine17
    llepine17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I've been struggling with 15-20 lbs for a long time and commend you for being able to shed them!! Your story is a great motivation to me, thanks for posting!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Congratulations! I've been struggling with 15-20 lbs for a long time and commend you for being able to shed them!! Your story is a great motivation to me, thanks for posting!
    Thank you, good luck with your goal. My wife has similar reasons to you - not life changing but would love her clothes to fit better, to be able to wear a bikini without worrying too much. She feels SO much better about herself after just a 14lb loss - big difference to her confidence!

Keep it up
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    great job reaching your goal!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well done and great job. Be it 15 pounds to lose or 150 it takes discipline to make the changes needed.

bravo.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Good stuff!!! and great advice about how to get it done (regardless of the weight to lose 10lbs or 100lbs, solid advice)! good luck maintaining and keeping up with the routine!!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "now the hard part". I, too, only had 15 lbs to lose. Been there and done that many times over. I will feel like a true success once I have been able to keep THIS 15 lbs off for more than a year! Maybe this time I will be able to do it because of some new insights (like you, I am in my late 40's and really thought I should have had this figured out by now!)...mainly, counting calories, not eliminating ANY food group, finding an exercise I can do for LIFE.
    Congrats to you. Here's to seeing both of us post on this board same time next year that we've been able to keep it off!

You got it right! And congrats to everyone who lost 15lbs or 50lbs!! It's your accomplishment! And weight training is VERY important, esp since once we turn 40 we start losing muscle mass and that's why our metabolisms slow down...
  • CoCoBean14
    CoCoBean14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Great job trying to do it in a way that's sustainable!
  • Marefr
    Marefr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    YAY! (A capitalized "yay" to show extra enthusiasm).
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your target weight and thanks for sharing your good advice.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    congrats on your success, whether it s 15 or 100lbs or more, its an accomplishment...be happy you caught in time before it was more to loose! good job!!! :happy:
  • Wonderob
    Options
    congrats on your success, whether it s 15 or 100lbs or more, its an accomplishment...be happy you caught in time before it was more to loose! good job!!! :happy:

Yeah exactly that - caught just in time!

Thank you
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I agree with all your points. I sacrifice variety sometimes to have what I really really like. I also sacrifice variety to get in my protein much of the time.

I agree with the weight training. Prior to starting it (October 2011) the lowest I could get my body fat percentage to was 23%. I am sitting at 15% now.

I still want to lose 10 lbs but I am smaller in actual size than many people who weigh less than I do.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Fabulously done!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I agree with all your points. I sacrifice variety sometimes to have what I really really like. I also sacrifice variety to get in my protein much of the time.

I agree with the weight training. Prior to starting it (October 2011) the lowest I could get my body fat percentage to was 23%. I am sitting at 15% now.

I still want to lose 10 lbs but I am smaller in actual size than many people who weigh less than I do.

That's pretty interesting - my wife has just slimmed down to her target weight but she always hovers around the 23% fat range and would love to get that somewhere near yours. She's been weight training for a little while but I suspect it's been the pink dumbell kind ;)
    She now lifts with me and goes heavy - she'll be encouraged to learn that she could get her bodyfat down - is that how you did it?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!