Realistic Goal Weight

Options
Hi there,

I am trying to figure out what a healthy, realistic goal weight would be for me. I know what the internet and magazines say, but I want to know what you experienced people think.

I am almost 24 years old, female, just shy of 5'8", bigger bones (wide hips, wide shoulders, etc).

I was incredibly skinny for my age, etc through middle school and highschool. It wasn't until I was about 18 or 19 that I started gaining weight at a rapid pace. After graduating high school I was 125 lbs and since 2006-2007 I have gained 60 lbs (give or take).

Replies

• Jill1109
    Jill1109 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I am right at your height and have a similar body type. I think anywhere from 155-160 would be a healthy weight. That is probably at the top of the BMI, but I when I was at 155-160 I felt really good!
  • ForRealAU
    ForRealAU Posts: 17
    Options
    What does your doctor say would be good for you?

I would think 150s but I am only 5'4 and shooting for 135 again.
  • tiger12gal
    tiger12gal Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6'' with a larger bone frame as well. I am shooting for 170... i want to see what I will look like at that weight and then if I dont look sickly skinney then I am going to go at the most 20lb lighter
  • phillipsak
    phillipsak Posts: 22
    Options
    My doctor said ideally I should be between 125 and 140 lbs, which to me, isn't all that realistic... not right now anyway. To me, 125 or even 135 lbs is quite low for someone with my body type.

I think I'll stick with 150 lbs being my goal weight, and will adjust as I go.
  • ShelfRelianceMom
    Options
    I feel the same way. When I was in 8th grade and my optimum fitness I was 142. I remember feeling so self conscious because the guys in my grade weighed that much. I concentrated on the number rather than the way that I looked and felt and started gaining weight. I am currently shooting for 150 and I am 5' 7". I will see how I feel at 155 and very likely will stop there if I feel and look good. I don't want to get super skinny, just fit.
  • phillipsak
    phillipsak Posts: 22
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how many calories do you gals eat in a day?

I know what MFP is telling me I SHOULD be eating, but I'm wondering if you all follow those numbers or not...
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you can get an accurate measurement of your current body fat percentage, then it should be easy to estimate goal weight from there. My current BF% (though this may not be entirely accurate) is 37.5%, and my weight is 312. That should put me at 195 pounds LBM currently, so my current goal weight estimate is approximately 225 (15% BF with 195lbs lean mass).
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Heya! I'm 5'9" and aiming for 130lbs but I have a very dinky frame...I'd say aiming for 150 would be good then just see how you're feeling when you get close.

Good luck :-))