Is it about "fat" or "calories" in foods??

Options
what i mean is, if you ate 10 apples that would say, account to 400 calories (example) would it be the same (in terms of weight loss) as eating a cake for 400 calories??

or as cakes have more fat in them, would that count?? i'm a little stuck on this and i'm not talking about what is "healthy" as such, im talking whether the type of calories (i.e. apple calories or cake calories) will be the same?

haha im a bit confused as you can see !

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Fats are calories so your question is a little muddled.

from a strictly body composition standpoint, studies seem to show that there would be no difference.Although that doesn't take into account long term heath, which is the main concern of most people here.

While 50 grams from sugar is essentially the same from an apple or a cake, it's obvious which is a better food choice long term.

Fats are different as there are different type of fat, 50 grams of saturated fat will affect the body in a different way than 50 grams of trans fat.

Just use some common sense when it comes to food choices.

I go by the 80/20 rule, 80% of calories from whole foods and so called clean sources (which again is up for interpretation) then do whatever you want with the other 20%, as long as it's still within your macros it will make no difference and helps keep you sane.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Calories are energy units, so 400 calories of cake or 400 calories of apples will give you the energy to live for several hours in both cases.

Most (95%) of the calories in apples are from carbohydrates, specifically sugars, whereas the fat and protein in a cake are a more balanced food. 100g of apple has about 2g of sucrose, 2.4g glucose and 5.9g of fructose. The fructose and half the sucrose are processed directly by the liver and behave differently to the glucose.

A cake baked from a recipe may be 57% energy from carbs, 37% from fat, 6% from protein.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you are 10 apples you probably would be less hungry after an hour or so than you would eating one cake. This is because apples also contain a lot of fibre which will fill you up and the apples will be digested more slowly than the cake. In terms of losing weight, using filling foods such as fruits, vegetables and lean protein especially, will help you stick to your calorie allowance more easily without feeling hungry
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Neither. It's about sugar. For weight management concerns, anyway.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    According to science, if you're not talking about satiety or general health, weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out. One lb. = around 3500 calories. Not fat grams, not sugar.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your macros, eat that ****
  • Emilina79
    Emilina79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but like to read nutritional books etc and have done some A Level Biology and Chemistry in the past. from what i recall, all foods are essentially broken down into their basic food groups during digestion: Macro nutrients: Fat (lipids), Protein (amino Acids) and carbohydrates (sugar- eg from strachs such as pasta and bread or fruit etc) Then you have waste-fibre helping to pass things along....Ahem! and finally your Micro nutrients (Vitamins, minerals etc)

Fruit has its own form of natuarally occuring sugar called Fructose and this is more complex sugar (AKA carbohydrate) than the glucose (the type of sugar added to cakes) this means that it will take longer to break down during digestion.
    All sugar, regardless of complexity, will break down to its simplest form-glucose, before it can be uptaken by cells from the blood. Take a look at the Glycemic Index: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index or in any nutritional book.
    Most will advise that the longer the body takes to break a food down, the longer it will satiate you and therefore encourage you to eat less. Foods with a high degree of protein will also fill you as protein is very large molecule and takes the longest to break down into its constituent parts-Amino acids. I would always eat clean- you litterally are what you eat. Your food is uptaken by your cells for basic function-you cannot live without fat for example as every single one of your cells is surronded by lipo-proteins which control the uptake of nutrients. but if you make good clean choices, your body can utilise it, if bad choices this will reflect in poor concentration, bad skin, health and toxin build up.

Ok i think ive gone overboard with my enthusiasm here. I love reading about this stuff-you can wake up now, i've finshed-promise!!.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sorry that's not right fructose is a monosaccharide exactly like glucose, it is not more complex. Sucrose (ordinary sugar) is a dissacharide with one fructose and one glucose joined. Starches are complex carbohydrates with larger numbers of simple sugars joined in a chain (a polysaccharide)