pre-workout nutrition

Options
I have been eating some oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder, waiting an hour or so then going to the gym to strength train and just want to compare notes. What do you eat before your workout? Is it better to workout on an empty stomach?

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I get woozy if I dont eat or dont eat enough before working out... Sometimes I have a banana, maybe some peanut butter. Oats are a good idea though, they keep you full for a while and obviously the protien does also. Thats why I sometimes grab the peanut butter.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have been eating some oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder, waiting an hour or so then going to the gym to strength train and just want to compare notes. What do you eat before your workout? Is it better to workout on an empty stomach?

I would absolutely let the following factors dictate your pre-workout nutrition, assuming that your total daily nutrition is in line with your goals:

1) Personal preference.
    2) Gym performance.

If the above two conditions are met, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I train fasted most of the time because I prefer to save my calories for later in the day, and I typically train in the AM.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I always eat before working out. I workout at night so i have to have dinner first. Id suggest save the protein for after your workout. It helps repair your muscles.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've been doing leangains/IF for a little over a week, so been training fasted. My workout usually consists of 40 minutes of heavy strength training followed by 20 minutes of cardio. Prior to leangains I was taking Muscle Pharm Assault as my pre-workout. Basically creatine mono-hydrate, BCAAs, caffeine, fairy dust and whatever the *kitten* out, and eating a decent breakfast prior.

Now I''m only taking 10 grams of BCAAs 15 minutes prior to workout, training fasted and I find I have a bit more energy and focus considering I try to progressively load each week. I'm an experienced lifter but it's been something inconsistent for me over my life, so I am still in that beginner/intermediate range of being able to push myself quite a bit. I honestly just find this works for me better.

EDIT: should mention I train in the morning, then take 10grams of BCAAs after and don't eat my real post workout meal for a couple hours after.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would absolutely let the following factors dictate your pre-workout nutrition, assuming that your total daily nutrition is in line with your goals:

1) Personal preference.
    2) Gym performance.

If the above two conditions are met, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I train fasted most of the time because I prefer to save my calories for later in the day, and I typically train in the AM.

I do this also and do not notice any negative imact on my performance as long as I get my morning coffee!
  • Antioxidote
    Options
    Thanks guys, i appreciate the input
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at night, except for Saturday mornings. I only eat before the gym if I am hungry. If not, I wait until I get home and have nuts or eggs or maybe leftovers. I try to get as much protein as possible after working out.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have been recommended by a professional coach that you should eat something 2 hours before your workout. What you eat will depend on what type of workout you are doing.

For strength/resistance training, eat something high in protein.

For cardio, eat something that is high in complex carbohydrates.

That way, you'll have the right sort of energy fully digested and ready to be used when you start working out.
  • This_Daddy_Rocks
    Options
    bump
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Carbs and protein....you have got the bases covered.

If i'm training early in the morning and I wake up with no appetite, then I will train fasted sometimes.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I like some carbs for the quick energy. Not too many, just a granola bar or a banana or something. Also, being diabetic that helps me to ensure I don't have a low sugar episode while on th machines. Afterwards I always get some protein pretty much right away... not because of the studies that say you should, but because I just crave it. I tend to go home and demolish some grilled chicken.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I like some carbs for the quick energy. Not too many, just a granola bar or a banana or something. Also, being diabetic that helps me to ensure I don't have a low sugar episode while on the machines. Afterwards I always get some protein pretty much right away... not because of the studies that say you should, but because I just crave it. I tend to go home and demolish some grilled chicken.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've been doing leangains/IF for a little over a week, so been training fasted. My workout usually consists of 40 minutes of heavy strength training followed by 20 minutes of cardio. Prior to leangains I was taking Muscle Pharm Assault as my pre-workout. Basically creatine mono-hydrate, BCAAs, caffeine, fairy dust and whatever the *kitten* out, and eating a decent breakfast prior.

Now I''m only taking 10 grams of BCAAs 15 minutes prior to workout, training fasted and I find I have a bit more energy and focus considering I try to progressively load each week. I'm an experienced lifter but it's been something inconsistent for me over my life, so I am still in that beginner/intermediate range of being able to push myself quite a bit. I honestly just find this works for me better.

EDIT: should mention I train in the morning, then take 10grams of BCAAs after and don't eat my real post workout meal for a couple hours after.

~ This is what I do as well .... except I tweaked the " IF " to fit my schedule. But yes, if you can workout in a fasted state and feel you are getting maximum benefits ... it's all good. If not, eat a small protein snack prior to your workout and a large protein meal after !

Side note : Good luck on Leangains ... Berkham is brilliant !
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

~ This is what I do as well .... except I tweaked the " IF " to fit my schedule. But yes, if you can workout in a fasted state and feel you are getting maximum benefits ... it's all good. If not, eat a small protein snack prior to your workout and a large protein meal after !

Side note : Good luck on Leangains ... Berkham is brilliant !

Thanks, yeah I didn't have to vary up things too much. Only difference is the start of my feeding window sometimes varies by an hour or so each day, though is generally consistent on days I train, M-W-F. Sundays I do martial arts till 12:30 which works out perfectly.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I never feel a difference between specific types of food. I've been experimenting with fasted workouts and Im getting great results. Unless you havent had food in 24 hours, your body has the energy stored it needs for a workout. Your mentality is all that matters, and your food digestion will basically shut down during exercise.