Pregnant Mama Roll Call!

Options
I'm looking for other expectant mamas who are trying to stay healthy and active throughout pregnancy! I think I only have a couple other pregnant mamas on my friends list.
How far along are you? What # pregnancy is this for you?
What are your goals?
What is your biggest struggle right now?
(Is there already a group on here somewhere for pregnant mamas?)

My goals are to keep my sugar and sodium in check and to get enough protein and iron. I'm also trying to stay as physically active as possible--I think it makes for an easier delivery! And of course proper nutrition and exercise help keep my strength and energy levels up.
Right now, my biggest struggle is first trimester nausea/dizziness/fatigue. Eating something every 2 hours or so helps with the nausea, but lean proteins and veggies do not appeal to me at all. What does appeal to me are starches. :tongue: I was easily drinking 75 oz of water a day before getting pregnant. Now water makes me feel :sick: .
And of course exercise is a struggle. I'm hanging in there. I know it will get better in a couple weeks or so.

Replies

• spenciemanda
    spenciemanda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hey!

I'm pregnant too. I'm 10 weeks just and feeling like utter crap. I can barely walk the dog, all my energy is gone but I'm hoping to get out and about more once the morning sickness goes.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Glad to meet you--it sounds like we are in about the same place! Tomorrow I will hit the 12 week mark.
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm 25 weeks now - this is my 4th, but the first one that I'm actually taking a interest in how healthy I am during pregnancy! My goal was to not gain too much weight and stay active! I want to be able to get back into the swing of things after delivery as easily as possible. I've already gained more than I wanted, but I am still going to the gym and trying to eat well (has been a lot harder than I thought it would!). Otherwise - congrats to all the mamas, and kudos for caring about your health at probably one of the most important times - when you are growing a new life!
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not pregnant here, but i have advice about water making you sick!

Try sliced cucumbers in the water, let them soak. It will make your tummy feel better with a little lemon, and its SUPER refreshing with cucumbers. Feel better!
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I'm 12 weeks along with my 2nd babe.
    My struggle right now is accurately estimating my calorie intake (not sure if I've got it right , I'm at 1700 (up from 1200 pre pregnancy) and making sure I drink enough water.
    With my last babe I didn't drink enough water and bloated/swelled horribly towards the end of my term.

Also exercising while tired and limited is a bit of a challenge, but I've been making it work.

Looking for pregnant friends!
  • jooliem2001
    jooliem2001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi - there's a group on here called "Fit, Fabulous & Pregnant" - you'll meet lots of new friends there :)
  • joyful12
    joyful12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was almost 5lbs to my goal weight when wammo! :tongue: baby #4 on the way. I am in early pregnancy and really want to stay on top of my fitness..ALTHOUGH since I found out I have been splurging a bit on my meals/foods...YIKES....I also have been so busy this past week I have not been on my elliptical in 4 days...some tiredness too. I do hope I get out and walk the dog today!

Congratulations to all the expecting mammas out there! Water, water, water too!::drinker:
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    meeeee
    I have a bun in the oven:happy:
  • thuitema84
    thuitema84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    5 weeks with our first! I'm also interested to find out what other women's goals are and how they've adjusted their settings. I haven't had any luck getting information on the protein intake, carbs, fat, fiber...

Any info there would help!! Thanks and congrats to you all!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    26 weeks pregnant with my first!

Was trying to lose a bit of weight when I found out I was pregnant. Lost almost 20 pounds in the first trimester - not sick, just didn't eat anything, now I'm up 20 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight. Ugh.

I wasn't on here until a few days ago, so I don't know about the settings. I have heard things about preggers needing higher protein intake, though.

Hoping to not gain too much more, going for more of a maintenance goal.

Congrats to everyone!
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just found out last night I'm pregnant and 4 weeks along with my 2nd child. I lost 50 lbs over the past year and am actually 40 lbs lighter than I was when I got pregnant with my first. I'm really excited to be starting this pregnancy from a healthy place, but I also really want to stay that way. I work full time at a desk job so to compensate for my pregnancy calories I made my settings Lightly Active and maintaining my weight. Hoping this is a good goal for me, but does anyone else have any suggestions? I've been craving salty stuff and water like crazy. Probably craving water because of all the salty stuff! :-)
  • MamaGraves2
    MamaGraves2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I am almost 27 weeks along with our 2nd little boy. I've been slacking off this last week and need to get re-motivated! =)
  • CReinisch
    CReinisch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5 weeks pregnant with my first! Anyone has any guesses what amount of calories I should be eating to get enough? I'm 5'6" and I was already overweight on the BMI scale, so I know I don't need to jump up too much. The sites I check gives a general 2000+ calories a day, which I know for my body that's too much (it's not like I'm losing any weight now...) And I know I'm not supposed to gain anything during the first trimester, but also want to make sure I eat enough.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I found out that I was pregnant last week, and other than hubby, no one knows yet. I have lost 40 lbs in a combination of this site most recenty (and WW last year) since Feb 2011.

I think I am about 6 weeks along, and I have been going on all sorts of sites to figure out how many calories I need etc. It seems like in the first trimester, it says that you shouldn't necessarily gain any weight (although 3 - 5 lbs are okay) - but with the 2nd and 3rd trimesters - you are supposed to gain anywhere between .5 to 1 lb a week. I am 5 foot, and still in the overweight category, so I should gain less, but how does that add up calorie wise? I read something about not needing extra calories in the first trimester, about 200 cal in the 2nd and 350 in the 3rd? But where are they starting from when they give you these recommendations?

I know that I want to stay active, for me, for the pregnancy, and for the easier bounce back afterwards. So I am keeping more or less the same routine with my exercise.

Also for those who are or have been pregnant - how is the back pain? I have back issues where my back goes out every couple of years or so, where I am totally out for the count for a week with pain killer and muscle relaxants - any suggestion what I should do to prevent that? I know what seems to work is exercise for me, but how will that go farther in in the pregnancy?
  • chelsa1986
    chelsa1986 Posts: 71
    Options
    I want to be pregnant SO BADLY. In fact, I wasn't going to post and be the obnoxious thread crasher...but then I decided, wth!

We have three. The youngest is going to be 4 soon, middle is 6 and oldest will soon be 8. We recently decided we want another. I lost 100 lbs after having the last baby, but in the past 8 months gained 40 back. I have now lost 20 lbs and even though I know I should wait to lose the last 20, I want to be pregnant so badly.

I can't talk to anyone about it, because we decided not to tell anyone we are planning to try. So, I'm sitting around pining silently.

Anyway, congratulations to all of you gorgeous women!
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 8 weeks along with my first. I was eating 1700-1800 and not losing weight (but that's because of known hormonal/blood sugar issues). I am six feet tall and my maintenance calories are around 2200. The pregnancy recommendations are about 2-300 calories above the average woman's calorie intake, which is on average 2000-2100, NOT from how much you were eating while dieting! You're supposed to add calories to your maintenance level, not your weight loss level. I am still counting calories and have splurged here and there, but I'm not going crazy and despite nausea and lightheadedness I have been going to the gym 4-5 days a week. I've heard from friends and also read on several sites that if we focus on eating nutritious food, the rest will take care of itself... i.e. no buttered pop tarts and bowls full of raw cookie dough :-P That's just my two cents!

Edit: Check this site out, it breaks it down by trimester - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm