Runners and supplements...

Options
For you runners out there, what are your supplement suggestions (I currently take a multi). Anything else necessary/beneficial?? And yes I know I should try and get most of my nutrients from fresh foods! :tongue: but wanted to hear what others take...

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Chondroitin and Glucosamine for about 4 years. I have no idea if it's helping, but I'm not about to stop taking it and find out!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Runners, especially female, tend to be anemic, so if your multi doesn't include iron, consider adding that as a suppelement. I also take fish oil, more for life than for running, but I definitely feel better when I have it.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I recently bought fish oil but am still chicken to actually take them! That's about it unless you're talking about energy supplements while running, I take GU energy gels! And have recently found "GU chomps" in peach tea flavor..I'm actually excited to try these but i'm saving them for my half marathon! Weeeee
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    What is the actual benefit of fish oil for runners?? I know in general it is good for your heart (I think??)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is supposed to help with joints as well.

I take:

Fish oil
    multi
    In the summer - Endrolytes
  • wood2415
    wood2415 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What is the actual benefit of fish oil for runners?? I know in general it is good for your heart (I think??)

The omega-3 found in many fish oils offers benefits like heart health, optimized blood pressure and controlled cholesterol levels. For runners especially, the best benefit may be the fact that fish oil provide relief from joint pain. The continuous jarring from endurance running can wear down the ligaments in the body, but omega-3 helps deter the long-term effects of running. Taking one to two capsules daily provide the body with the suggested amount of fish oil. Runners can get their omega-3 supplements by eating fish as well. The best sources are salmon, cod, tuna and sardines.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/211616-supplements-for-running-endurance/#ixzz209183Qoc
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is also really good for older dogs :)
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I take fish oil daily. I don't know if its actually helping me in any way, but I bought them and will see it through until they are gone.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is also really good for older dogs :)

Woof?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    anti-oxidants (both in food form - blueberries - and supplements - vitamin c, blueberry, pomegranate) to reduce the effects of oxidative stress

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=12434

(it's not just running but other forms of vigorous exercise that are believed to increase free radicals etc)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Each day I take the following supplements:
    Omega 3
    Glucosamine
    iron
    calcium
    CLA
    multi
    Green Tea Complex.

Been taking them for years.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Fish oil (mostly for my brain)
    Glucosamine (for my joints since I have Planter's Fasciitis)
    Multivitiamin (when I remember lol)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    magnesium
    potassium
    calcium
    fish oil
    vitamin C
    Iron once in a while
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin (w/ iron, anemia runs in my family in general), glucosamine (2 knee injuries this year, 1 running & 1 cycling) and an omega 3/6/9 supplement. I also usually drink some whey/milk after my runs, although I'm not sure it's really necessary at my current low mileage.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, magnesium, calcium (in the form of chews), and iron.

But after reading these posts, I may add fish oil to that list. :smile:
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Someone beat me to the dog example, but that's where most of my experience is. My pit tore her meniscus (and maybe a partial ligament tear) earlier this year. She was partially lame at first, but has improved (only a very rare limp) with just fish oil and turmeric (which has good anti-inflammatory properties). I was going to add glucosamine, but she improved before I got around to it. I'm giving them to the other dog as well, since he's getting older. I haven't taken them jogging since the injury, but she's improved enough that I'm starting to work them back up to it. She really misses it, but the old guy will be very disappointed. The only thing he likes less than running is being left home alone.

I don't take supplements myself, but probably should. Right now I get most of my omega-3s from walnuts and most of my turmeric in curry.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies... I need to "run" to the store to get some fish oil! :happy: