Gaining weight while exercising - confused

Options
Sipah
Sipah Posts: 31 Member
So i have been working on a fitness regime a former army colleague created for me. I have noticed I am hungrier so I am eating more and my weight has increased considerably. I excercise 1 day and take a break another.

For the week I have done this I have gone from 97 kgs to 100. So basically it seems my weight has increased by 3 kgs in 1 week I am not sure if that is me over eating or what. I have not been eating that much more food. Just more fruits - specifically mangos because it is mango season here. I am currently working in Afghanistan.

Anybody got any ideas? If you want the regime its basically 12 exercises I do at home. From push ups, sit ups and pull ups to weights.

So the dumb question is: Does exercising create additional "weight" because the muscles are healing up from the additional exercise? I mean I am pushing myself. My body is sore every day. Including rest days.

I have not eaten so much that I would gain 3 kgs in 1 week. If you guys need additional info let me know.

Replies

• gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When are you weighing yourself and what's in your food log? Weigh yourself before breakfast, and before your first drink of water to make sure that what you're eating through the day not a factor.
  • Sipah
    Options
    Between 6 and 6:30 in the morning. After showering and the rest.

My food log consists of a normaly cereal breakfast with some fruits. Plus tea/coffee

Lunch is some vegetables and bread with fruits.

Dinner is roughly the same. My food intake consistently includes some carbs, vegetables and maybe some plain yougart. No real meat protein.

I will try to open up my log if i can figure out how.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Depending on the intensity of your workouts, some weight gain from water retention and the like is certainly a possibility. In one week you would have to overeat pretty tremendously to gain 3 kgs of fat.
  • Sipah
    Options
    That is what I was thinking. Its not like I am eating cakes, cookies or stuff high in sugar and carbs. I am 97 kgs and MFP says i need to eat 2300 calories to maintain my weight. I eat at roughly 1800 calories. If that is true I must be eating 3000 calories to gain that much weight.

But I wanted ask people here about the issue first.