Is a break day neccessary if I am sedentary otherwise?

Options
I goto the gym everyday at 8am and then just sit around all day (lol..) and then I run at 8pm. Is a break day neccessary if I am pretty much sedentary all day anyways?

Replies

• Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    More then likely no...listen to your body
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I disagree....I think a break day would be helpful so that your muscles can regroup and recover since you are going to the gym everyday and running in the evening.

I work at a computer desk all day long. I also workout in the morning (and sometimes in the eve). I take at least one break a week (usually Sundays).
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    This 100% comes down to how you feel. The rest your body needs is mostly based off the stress you put it under, which is the intensity of your exercise. You can say "I go to the gym everyday" but if you are just walking a mile, you wont need the same rest as someone who trains with high intensity for 5 days a week. If you feel extreemly sore or your performance is lacking, just take a break for a day.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all :)
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This 100% comes down to how you feel. The rest your body needs is mostly based off the stress you put it under, which is the intensity of your exercise. You can say "I go to the gym everyday" but if you are just walking a mile, you wont need the same rest as someone who trains with high intensity for 5 days a week. If you feel extreemly sore or your performance is lacking, just take a break for a day.

Well said! I need a day break for my muscles to recover. If I don't have it I don't do as well the following week!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing at the gym, really. If you're strength training, you shouldn't work the same muscle group two days in a row. The actual gains from resistance training come during the rest day, not while you're at the gym. When you're eating enough and getting enough sleep during the rest day, your body recovers with stronger muscle tissue than before the last workout.