Head games while running...

Options
amyhoss
amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
My run today was WEAK! I started running 3 months ago and I just ran my first 5k this past Saturday in 34:32 and I have ran 30 mins before without stopping, but today I had to stop running after only 12 mins. I couldn't get out of my head enough to complete the run that I indended. I kept making excuses for why I should just stop: "My legs are especially sore today." "It's so hot out." "I don't think I have fueled my body properly with the food that I have been eating lately." "I haven't been running as often due to the heat, so maybe I just can't do it anymore." Stupid head games.

Hopefully I can get past that the next time I run. I want to believe that there is nothing that your body can't handle as long as you're properly hydrated, but then I started to think about the poor eating choices that I have made the past couple of days and I convinced myself to stop. I'm pretty dissapointed in myself, but what scares me is that those excuses are still there.

Any advice on pushing through?

Replies

• cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 5k. Not every run is a good one. I use a gym boss timer on days like that. Just grind out the wo. Best of luck to you.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Every run is different. Sometimes I can run 9 miles, sometimes I can run 2. Just make the most of each time you get out there.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Some runs are just crappy no matter what you do and yet others are fantastic. My good runs tend to be when I don't even want to do it and am dreading it and bam, i have a great run. Just go with the flow on them.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    no matter how many miles you run or how long you run, negativity inside your head will kill any run.

Music helps sometimes.

I guess I don't have any real advice, but I will say that pacing yourself a little slow in the start of a run and finishing the last half of a mile to mile really strong is a great way to work positivity back into runs. I had to do that today myself as last week the heat caused me to wither up in almost every run I did and I even had to stop and walk the last mile of a 4.5er on Wednesday. When you slow the pace a bit early and work back into it you realize how strong you are. Then finishing real strong is just, well, awesome. So there ya go.
  • jaynepickle
    jaynepickle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I set mini goals. "I'll run until that stop sign" but then once I get to the stop sign, I think, "okay, I wanted to quit a quarter of a mile ago and I'm still going, I can go another stretch". Just push through the suck! Your body will always want to quit! Make your mind up not to quit and don't back down. I also tell myself, "I can do anything for 2 minutes". Then, just keep repeating until you're done with your workout. Hope this helps! I struggled with the same issues when I started running, and some days are just harder than others. Keep it up! :-)
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    For me it all depends on the humidity. If it's a little cooler and the air is more bearable, I'll go non-stop. But lately the humidity is quite high and it's making breathing a little harder so I'm taking extended breaks to catch my breath.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Running is a total mind game, I have been in your shoes plenty of times.
    I just push thru, before I know it my legs aren't sore and I can run forever...... usually that's my problem - my legs feel sore.
    Maybe put on a song that really pumps you up, think about that sexy outfit you want to wear, just get lost in your thoughts.

We have all had these moments, don't let it get you down!
  • CakepopPirate
    CakepopPirate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Listen to a thriller / mystery audio book when you aren't in the mood to run or have a long run. You won't want to stop because it is interesting and keeps you thinking about something besides how many minutes you have left. I never used to like long runs OR audio books, but this seriously does the trick for me. Plus, it's like multi-tasking!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    you know what, I think the only thing you can do is exactly what you did. Keep pushing through. I had one of those days yesterday. I got down the street and wanted to turn around so badly. The worse part was the damn excuses running through my head. I just told myself NO MATTER WHAT i am going to finish this run to the best of my ability. Granted I walked a little for a minute but that was better than staying home "feeling sore" right?

You did great, keep it up. Sometimes our mind reverts back to what we've been used to thinking all these years. It'll take time to train it otherwise... best thing to do- KEEP RUNNING! Run fast enough so the excuses can't catch up to you :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    every run isn't always about going as far as you can and as fast as you can. do one run a week were you go for distance. try and go 10% further than the last time you ran. one run a week should be a short speed run, 1-2 miles, as fast as you can. one run should be speed and/or drills work, such as 100m sprint repeats, or hill repeats, or these: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/02/10/5-conditioning-drills/ if you want to get in a fourth run, do a mid-range run at a steady pace.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I play head games the opposite way... This hill isn't so steep. You don't have to walk it. It's just a little bit further until your cool down zone you can make that easy.

Talk yourself up instead of down....
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When I have a run like that - I like to listen to music. Tell yourself that you need to listen to x-number of songs before you can even THINK of taking a walking break. (And, then, I would only allow myself to walk half the time I ran - so if I ran for 10 songs straight, I could walk no more than 5) I also like to use landmarks to push towards - just one more light post, or to the corner, etc.

It is more fun, when I can think of something other than running. I get bored easily.

I suppose the game I play with my kids in the car would work too, more so if you run on a busy route. Use the ABC game, where you need to find something with starting with the letters (or the letter itself), in order. If there isn't anything on your route, you could modify it to the Picnic ABC game, where you name what food you will bring to the picnic, starting with A, B, C, and so on.

I also find it is helpful when I know my route before I run, so then I know where the half way point is. That way, in my mind, I'm almost done! (This was extremely helpful when I was training for a half marathon!)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I set mini goals. "I'll run until that stop sign" but then once I get to the stop sign, I think, "okay, I wanted to quit a quarter of a mile ago and I'm still going, I can go another stretch". Just push through the suck! Your body will always want to quit! Make your mind up not to quit and don't back down. I also tell myself, "I can do anything for 2 minutes". Then, just keep repeating until you're done with your workout. Hope this helps! I struggled with the same issues when I started running, and some days are just harder than others. Keep it up! :-)

This is what I do too, because I'm ridiculously negative to myself. I pick out a tree or something and I get there and think that wasn't so bad so I keep going. HOwever, I'm doing the run/walk/run interval traning now so I push through knowing a walk is only 2 minutes away!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'll try to be candid but not rude: You're running for half an hour. The fueling needs for a 30 minute run are minimal. Yes, what you eat can certainly impact how you feel when you run, but it's not going to be a major inhibitor in such a short energy expenditure. You're not going to kill yourself running for half an hour if you've subsisted on junk for the majority of your calories. The human body is resilient, for the most part.

The best way to push through is to push through. Your words say you believe you can do this, your actions say otherwise. Can you go out later today and run the other 18 minutes? To prove you can?
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it. You just ran a 5k on saturday. Congrats on that! I've done more 5k races than I can count, and it's not uncommon for the mind and body to want a couple of days to recover. That is natural and likely all it was - if so you were actually smart to listen to your body.

My gut tells me you'll go run tomorrow or Wednesday and all will be fine. Recovery from hard efforts is important also - as much as the running itself.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience the day after a super awesome run, I have a crappy one and like you, after 12 minutes I stop. It is like not feeling like drinking the day after a big drunk. I do not know if I used up all my happy running endorphins the day before or what. All I know is it is okay to stop after 12 minutes when our bodies tell us to.

Running is addictive and we need to remember that it is not necessary to run every day, although we feel like we have cheated something if we do not. As long as this is not your experience every day, you will be fine.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    why do you run? no, serious, why do you run? use that as your focus. the heat is tough. try running earlier in the morning or later in the evening to avoid it as much as possible.

just remember why you started and what your goals are. we all have bad running days. sometimes they last for a few weeks. it usually comes back though. good luck.
  • anewmeforever
    Options
    Bump...to come add my two cents later :)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it. You just ran a 5k on saturday. Congrats on that! I've done more 5k races than I can count, and it's not uncommon for the mind and body to want a couple of days to recover. That is natural and likely all it was - if so you were actually smart to listen to your body.

My gut tells me you'll go run tomorrow or Wednesday and all will be fine. Recovery from hard efforts is important also - as much as the running itself.

^^THIS! Not every run is going to be stellar either. Some days I can go out and run for 45 minutes straight without stopping, others I can barely get a mile in before my body says no more. It's usually after a really good run that I have a "bad" run. I go out a day or two after the good run and automatically think that it's going to be as good, if not better than the last, and that is rarely the case. Running is extremely hard on the body, so sometimes it just takes a little longer to recoop. Just don't let it discourage you for your next run - get out there and enjoy it.

That being said, if you are in physical pain - do NOT push yourself. Listen to your body.
  • nomadlady7
    nomadlady7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been running for 34 years. I used to be a very competitive runner. You will have good days and bad days. I make it through the bad days trying to achieve the good runs. Stop with the negative thoughts. It's hard. I have defeated myself in races by letting negative thoughts take over. It is the peak performances, those that seem so effortless, that we strive to achieve, but unless I am in the right mental state, I will not achieve that desired place.

I recently completed my Master's Degree. My thesis was about exercise and learning. Among the research I found some interesting things. Paula Radcliffe mentioned that the brain can't distinguish between reality and a well-developed imagined experience. Thinking positive thoughts; seeing success can help one achieve success.

I mentor with a running program. One of the particpants had the hardest time being able to run the entire 5k distance. She could beat out the group doing a walk/run, but she wanted to run the entire 3.1 miles. We ran it slowly and she was able to do the distance. (She's repeating the program starting out as a runner this coming cycle.) She had a mental block and having had a similar one when I was starting to run, I knew I could help.

Another interesting fact that I came across, for every minute spent exercising, you are adding two minutes onto your life. So if you had a bad day, you still got out and exercised and added to your life.