Am I really starving myself?

Options
I am aiming to eat up to 250 calories per meal (Breakfast, Dinner + Tea) and having 3 snacks a day (only if I feel hungry) which are 100 calories each, which is practically the slimfast diet but without the yucky tasting slimfast! I posted this on another topic and a couple of people have said I am starving myself and I will come to a point where I won't lose any more weight. The thing is, I'm dieting, I'm not exactly going to eat 2000 calories a day when I'm on a diet and MFP actually says I should eat up to 1200 calories for my height and age if I'm dieting.

I don't get how people are saying I'm starving myself when I'm not, Ok, I've lost 1 stone in a month but that's only because when you're big it comes off quicker but as you get smaller it gets harder, right? Also sometimes I don't feel like having a big meal and now I'm getting told off for eating healthier food when I'm not in the mood to eat a lot.

I will also gradually ease myself into more calories once I hit my goal weight, is that ok to do?

Replies

• EternalJourney
    Options
    So since you are "dieting", this is only short term.

What will happen once you go back to eating regularily?
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now and how much do you want to loose?
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not clear on the whole "starving" yourself either. I have quite a few friends that lost weight eating 1200 calories a day, got to their goal and then watch what they eat and maintain the loss. I haven't been at my "goal" yet and I also don't eat 1200 calories a day. Although if you are exercising, make sure you eat the exercise calories so your metabolism doens't shut down.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In a word: Yes.

You shouldn't be dieting.. you should be focused on making a lifestyle change.. AKA how you want to eat for the rest of your life.

If you want to eat 1,050 calories for the rest of your life, then great have at it. If you want actually keep the weight off and not be yo-yo dieting for the rest of your life, then you need to eat more.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight...

If you do not feel hungry throughout the day, your caloric goal is (at most) 500 calories for breakfast and dinner; and 800 max calories if you do eat the 3 snacks?

If that is the case, then yes, 500-800 daily calories is too restrictive.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I know that when I limited myself to 1200 calories per day I didn't lose. I stayed the same and was grumpy because I was hungry all the time. I upped mine to 1350 calories per day and was happier because I stayed full and started seeing the weight come off too until I became pregnant and now that went out the window for now. You have to find what works for you and for me dieting doesn't work it needs to be a lifestyle change. .
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 calories a day (did I read that right?) then I would say you're probably not, but a lot of factors weigh in on this. I would say as long as you eat when you're hungry, you're not starving yourself. Don't ever ignore your body on that.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Yes, your plan is too low. Lets just think about the future here, shall we? When you lose all this weight you want, how easy do you think it will be to return to a normal calorie count that is much easier to enjoy life with without putting a bunch of weight on quickly? Odds are that even eating a low range of 1400-1500 by that time will cause you to put on weight. The longer you spend on this really restrictive diet, the more damage you can do. I know it gets annoying when people want to share 'their' experiences...but...When I lost so much weight years ago (and I wasn't even going below 1200, but it was still too low for me) I wasnt able to eat even 1600 without gaining weight fast. It took me these past couple years just to get back to burning 2000 or so calories during the day. Do you really want to be stuck on a low crappy diet for a long time and dealing with weight gain issues when trying to go back to a more normal diet?
  • AmyB_1992
    AmyB_1992 Posts: 32
    Options
    So since you are "dieting", this is only short term.

What will happen once you go back to eating regularily?

Like I said, I will gradually up my calorie intake as I lose the weight, probably to up to 1500 and then live off that, I will be able to do it because if you start eating less, your stomach shrinks and you feel full quicker, (That's what I've read anyway) and it's working because I fill up quicker and I eat smaller portions than I used to.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I am aiming to eat up to 250 calories per meal (Breakfast, Dinner + Tea) and having 3 snacks a day (only if I feel hungry) which are 100 calories each, which is practically the slimfast diet but without the yucky tasting slimfast! I posted this on another topic and a couple of people have said I am starving myself and I will come to a point where I won't lose any more weight. The thing is, I'm dieting, I'm not exactly going to eat 2000 calories a day when I'm on a diet and MFP actually says I should eat up to 1200 calories for my height and age if I'm dieting.

I don't get how people are saying I'm starving myself when I'm not, Ok, I've lost 1 stone in a month but that's only because when you're big it comes off quicker but as you get smaller it gets harder, right? Also sometimes I don't feel like having a big meal and now I'm getting told off for eating healthier food when I'm not in the mood to eat a lot.

I will also gradually ease myself into more calories once I hit my goal weight, is that ok to do?

"Starving yourself" may be the wrong way to put it. But two things stand out. First of all, It's not really sustainable, or particularly healthy, to net below your BMR. So calculate your BMR and set your net calorie goal no lower than that. Second is that if you just want to be thin for that one holiday and then go back to being "big," your method is the perfect way to do that. If you want to be thinner forever, set a smaller per-week goal, and make a permanent life change. "Dieting" is a sure way to get fatter, in the long run.

BTW, when I was growing up in the 1960s, when you were on a "low calorie diet for weight loss," it was a 2000 calorie diet. That was considered very low--in the age of Twiggy. Don't diss the idea of losing weight on a 2000 calorie diet, many people do it. We didn't talk about net calories then though, it was 2000 calories no matter the exercise you did.
  • AmyB_1992
    Options
    How much do you weigh now and how much do you want to loose?

At the minute 188 pounds but I want to go down to 131 pounds, (9 and a half stone)
  • AmyB_1992
    Options

"Starving yourself" may be the wrong way to put it. But two things stand out. First of all, It's not really sustainable, or particularly healthy, to net below your BMR. So calculate your BMR and set your net calorie goal no lower than that. Second is that unless you just want to be thin for that one holiday and then go back to being "big," your method is the perfect way to do that. If you want to be thinner forever, set a smaller per-week goal, and make a permanent life change. "Dieting" is a sure way to get fatter, in the long run.

BTW, when I was growing up in the 1960s, when you were on a "low calorie diet for weight loss," it was a 2000 calorie diet. That was considered very low--in the age of Twiggy. Don't diss the idea of losing weight on a 2000 calorie diet, mant people do it. We didn't talk about net calories then though, it was 2000 calories no matter the exercise you did.

What's BMR, is it the same as BMI?
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

No, BMR is basal metabolic rate. It the amount of calories your body would burn is you did nothing all day.
  • AmyB_1992
    Options

No, BMR is basal metabolic rate. It the amount of calories your body would burn is you did nothing all day.

How do you find that out?
  • FitLink
    Options

Lower even than that. It's what your body would burn if you were in a coma. If you get up, even if you sit on the couch and watch TV all day, you'll burn ~10% to ~20% more than that.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would say you are setting yourself up for a rebound gain. Just my opinion, and the way I have lost weight in the past - its better to start higher calories and exercise, then when you reach a plateau you have somewhere to go with the calories.
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with the post that are saying you need to eat more. Don't set yourself up for failure. Eat more and exercise. See what your weight is to stay the same and adjust from that.
  • FitLink
    Options

There is a formula, but just use an online calculator. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I'd be willing to bet yours is at least 1500 calories/day.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

There's a calculator in the tools section of the website.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    370 + (21.6 x lean body mass in kg) = BMR

Lean body mass = total body weight - total body fat