Horses and Exercise

Options
Hi everyone. I joined last month and just love this site. Although I only have 10 to 12 pounds to lose, they seem to be the hardest ones.
I am in the high desert and am lucky enough tohave several horses. And that is how I work out. I ride one to three hours a day, run on a treadmill and/or walk outside for an hour or so. I work out by myself, so it is hard to stay motivated, especially with the heat up here. Sometimes I barely manage to ride one horse, and nothing else happens that day (super depressing) other times I have plenty of energy and I seem to be able to do everything on my to-do list.
If there are any body out there in the high desert who is into horses and exercises, please friend me on this site, it is always nice to to talk to someone who understands.

Replies

• victorialeehyde
    Options
    Hey!!! Horses are more of a work out than people tend to think. Its a total body work out. Keep up the good work. I have 2 horses here in Florida. Good luck on those last 10 lbs. :)
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Oh I hear ya!! We have 6 horses and its HOT here in Missouri. I dont ride much in the summer. A LOT of work bit I love it!!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am in TN and have 2 horses. They are tons of exercise! Work is a four letter word, and I enjoy my horses.
    Sadly, my doc won't release me to ride again, so I think I'll have to sell them. But grooming, barn upkeep, cross country hiking (hard to catch on 4 acres) ...its all exercise!
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    I wish I had horses! My dad has 4, and I LOVE to go ride.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The only thing harder to lose than the 1st 10 pounds...are the last 10 pounds! You will get there!!!
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    People who don't have horses have no idea how much work it is. It's a labor of love for sure. I have 3 horses and live in Florida. I try to ride really early before it gets too hot.
  • dcaf1962
    dcaf1962 Posts: 16
    Options
    I so totally blew my diet last night. Not only did I not exercise, but my sons had bought taffy cookies and left them on top of the refrigerator. I couldn'resist; opened the package and gobled down 4 cookies to the tune of 360 calories. I dont even want to look at the fat content.... And of course this morning when I stepped on the scale i was up two pounds, jeezzzzzzz

Well, today is a new day, and I had my coffee and banana for breakfast and I have already had seven cups of water after riding for two hours this morning. So hopefully the rest of the day will be just as easy, time will tell.

You guys have an awesome day, and stay true to yourself......
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a horse here in southeast TN. I ride religiously every weekend and wish I had the time to do more. He is boarded about 30 minute drive away and I have a two year old daughter to take care of after work, so pretty much Sunday when my mom keeps her is when I get the chance to ride. Log it and you will see it burns a lot. I rode bareback on the trails yesterday and my inner thighs are killing me today. Use your abilities to ride everyday to your fullest advantage and it will melt off, I promise!
  • csc101769
    csc101769 Posts: 53
    Options
    I had to sell my horses about 5 years ago... did barrel racing, pole bending, and trail rides......I blame part of my weight gain on that!! I was sooooo much more active when I had the horses. Hoping to be in a postition to get some more in the next 3 years......I don't want to have to board them, I want them on my own property. I live in Louisiana so I don't know about high desert heat but I do know about miserable, can't breath, dripping sweat heat with high humidity :)
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I guess North Carolina's heat is a different kind of pain lol one of my goals is to lose some (more like a lot) weight before next years show season! I want to look better in my breaches and make it easier on my horse!!

Good luck! :)