Yay!!! broke the 12 mile mark!!!!

Options
I am training for a marathon. It's in OCT. About 7 weeks ago, my long runs stalled because as soon as I hit the 10 mile mark or so I'd develop a sharp pain on the lateral side of my right foot, just under my last 2 toes. I switched shoes. Non change. I got orthotics. No change. I was just about to give up my goal of running the marathon and go for the 1/2 marathon instead.

So..I rested for a few weeks..kept my runs to 5-6 miles. the occassional 8 mile.

Last night...I hit 8 miles and feel great. I hit 10 and feel great. I get to 12 and my feet were still ok!

I ended up stopping there since I didn't want to overdo it and end up with the same damn problem again.

So stoked right now!

Replies

• bhawkins0617
    bhawkins0617 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm training for a half-marathon this fall and I understand hitting road blocks. Feels so great to push past them!! Good luck with your continued training.
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome. I agree in taking your time. it's no marathon...well maybe for me it is, but I am doing an 8K in September. I'm excited about that. I've never been a runner, especially when I was up to 270 pounds. Since I'm down to 220 I'm thrilled to try again! I also had feet issues when I started and some problems with sore knees. With those issues aside, running is fun!
  • rluhlig
    rluhlig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I just started training today for my first 10k so this is some definite inspiration!
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    That's awesome, you are an inspiration, I want to run a 1/2 marathon in November. Good luck to ya!
  • IAmFranciscoB
    Options
    I am training for a marathon. It's in OCT. About 7 weeks ago, my long runs stalled because as soon as I hit the 10 mile mark or so I'd develop a sharp pain on the lateral side of my right foot, just under my last 2 toes. I switched shoes. Non change. I got orthotics. No change. I was just about to give up my goal of running the marathon and go for the 1/2 marathon instead.

So..I rested for a few weeks..kept my runs to 5-6 miles. the occassional 8 mile.

Last night...I hit 8 miles and feel great. I hit 10 and feel great. I get to 12 and my feet were still ok!

I ended up stopping there since I didn't want to overdo it and end up with the same damn problem again.

So stoked right now!

i am also training for marathon. my 2nd one this time around in october as well. during training for my first one i ran in may, i had the same feeling that you are getting but more predominantly in my heel. its due to the outward pronation of your foot (duck foot) as you run and what is actually getting strained are all the ligaments in your leg and that ones that connect to in your foot. at least that what was happening to me. and it happened right after an 18 mile run.

unfortunately. all you can do is rest on it. i was out for about a week. im glad you bounced back after it. dont quit and settle for a half. i ran a full without running anythingr bigger than a 5K race.
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I've hit 11 miles and that's my furthest. It's hard now b/c I'm in Atlanta and it is so stinkin' hot--even in the mornings--that you can't get in a long run. I'm going to start training "hard core" for my half marathon next month. Until then, I'll have to stick with 5-7 miles! PS--I can't imagine doing a marathon--I'm thinking a Half is as far as I'll ever get! :-)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    way to go! and good job sticking with it despite the discouragement. Keep building slowly as to avoid injury. AND good luck with the MARATHON!!!!
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options

So stoked right now!

i am also training for marathon. my 2nd one this time around in october as well. during training for my first one i ran in may, i had the same feeling that you are getting but more predominantly in my heel. its due to the outward pronation of your foot (duck foot) as you run and what is actually getting strained are all the ligaments in your leg and that ones that connect to in your foot. at least that what was happening to me. and it happened right after an 18 mile run.

unfortunately. all you can do is rest on it. i was out for about a week. im glad you bounced back after it. dont quit and settle for a half. i ran a full without running anythingr bigger than a 5K race.

Awesome for both OP and poster. Good info!! I just hit 14.5 miles Saturday!! My marathon is October, also!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!